Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

Boondocking television requirements

I would like to be able to watch satellite tv while boondocking. So it appears I will need 120 volts for tv and receiver. I would prefer not to run a generator the whole time. Could I use an inverter and how big would it have to be and would I need more than one battery? Thanks.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Howdy Comfun1. To get more accurate answers to your questions, a little more info would be needed.

I think you need to know your amps required (these should be on a tag on the back of your TV and satellite receiver) for everything you plan to run off the inverter at one time......in order to size your inverter correctly.

You would also need to know the battery you are using amp hours rating, to see how long it could run the inverter (and it's corresponding load)

There are all kind of online calculators out there, to help you configure your power draw, once you know all the combined total amps for everything.

Maybe someone will provide a link to their favorite one.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

Check out the power requirements for your TV and Sat box, and get an inverter with a little more wattage. As for battery, the bigger the battery, the longer you get to watch TV, running two batteries parallel with give you more time, just make sure they're not in series or you'll have 24 volts and fry stuff.

Here's some good info on batteries: Connecting Batteries in Series or Parallel

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

That article has the "basic" idea correct, however the physics of the parallel wiring is not correct. As shown, the resistance of the second battery (assuming they are identical) would be higher due to the two connecting battery cables and the front battery would be worked much harder and fail quicker than the back battery.

A more correct parallel wiring diagram looks like this since the electron flow in and out of the battery "bank" will be equal.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote