Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
Infractee

Camper Hit By Lightning!

Going out this weekend, went and picked up FW at storage, as soon as I turned battery on I hear an alarm going off, I go inside and the LP detector is ringing, thought it was odd as the LP was off. Hooked it up and brought it home and that is when the fun starts...
Neither of the two rear slides work, I check the fuses and find a 15A burned out, it is for the radio. Main AC does not work, code E1 is flashing on control panel, looked it up says it is a loss of communication to the controller. Bedroom AC still works tho and bedroom slide still works as does the landing gear but the rear stabilizers do not work, neither does the TV or radio. I also notice that the awning LED strip has several diodes that are out, some are bright, others are dim. My touchscreen remote is absolutely dead, will not operate anything, I even reset it and still nothing. Fridge works as does the ceiling fan. Most all the lights work as well. All of the fuses in panel are good, they all have power to them, did a cycle of all breakers and results still the same. So I started thinking, with the 15A fuse blown to the radio, what does the antenna look like on the roof, climbed on up and found the tip burned like an arc welder had touched it. Looked all around the roof and found no other damage, manually opened the slide to get back there and look at the ceiling below the antenna and found several staples popped out and the trim piece going across hanging down.... Brand new camper... replaced our last one that was crushed while in storage by the roof of the storage place during an ice storm... Insurance company is going to love me...

Still going camping tho damnit!!
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Infractee

Tip of antenna...
I

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1401430386158.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	53798  
Old 05-30-2014, 04:51 AM   #3

Dang, never hear of that before. Sorry.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well. C-co, 8/158th, AVN.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Infractee

Never heard of it either, once I started to put the pieces together it became obvious. Also forgot to add, left landing gear foot pad was bent up in the front and the concrete under it was damaged, a section triangle shaped about 6" was popped up, guessing this is where the bolt found ground at, maybe to a piece of rebar just under the surface. When I take her back Sunday I will examine the area closer.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

Wow! Amazing the power in a lightning bolt. Guess it could have been worse, I've fixed cars that have been struck and it can get really ugly.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
NELA

jeeze, do we now have to start driving a wired lightning rod into the ground once we get set up at a site?

If the old adage is true, you're safe from lightning striking that TT again though.

I'd say your luck HAS to get better from here on.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Infractee

And now to add insult to injury, inverter is no longer working, battery dying, all my DC stuff is dead, thank goodness for AC power! LOL

Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #8

You might have been better off if it burnt down...thats a lot of destruction. You'll likely find more as you start making repairs. Might your insurance take care of this?

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well. C-co, 8/158th, AVN.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. If it were me, I'd be afraid to camp in it until fully fixed because there is wiring that you can't really access easily to verify that there is not a problem with it. Be safe! Camping can wait a while.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
DDC

I had this happen at the house when a tree in the yard got hit and there was a wash line on it that ran to the corner of the house, the phone company had a ground wire there and it went in there and the destruction was weird, some things fried some not and then the insurance company telling me it was a power surge not a lightning strike, won in the end though the tree was covered too. Good luck with it and double check everything works exactly like it should.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
Infractee

Was not too worried on hidden issues, the only fuse blown was for radio, all of the 120V breakers were intact as well. Battery was disconnected at time. Brought it home and plugged it in to 120V and it ran for approx 24 hours in front of the house, figured if it was going to light off it would have then...

Funny you mention that RPAspey, I was talking to a friend about it last night and he told me I was lucky it did not burn to the ground and I replied, am I?? LOL
Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Well that was a good call on the 24 hour break-in period. I wasn't sure when your departure was going to be, but I somehow thought you were taking it right from storage and going to the campground.

Any word from your insurance?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Infractee

Have not called them yet, on Monday when we are back in town I am going to start making some calls, figure out the best place to take it to and get some estimates going so I can let them know. I have never used any local dealer/service center so I guess I need to find one.

Tags
camper, light