Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
DaveAlb

Camping near oceans and other salt water areas

Are there corrosion or similar issues if camping near salt water? I’ve heard that brakes can rust and you should camp no closer than 30 miles away from such bodies of salt water. Counting on experienced campers to let me know.
Thanks! ✌️
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

We've camped at Edisto Beach State Park in South Carolina every winter for the last five years. We spend two weeks there and the campsite is about 100 yds from the ocean. We have had no problems. I would recommend rinsing off the camper, axles, brakes, etc after leaving, but the rain usually does that for us.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
DaveAlb

Thanks cross!
Old 09-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
DaveAlb

I mean cboss!
Old 09-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlb View Post
I mean cboss!
LOL...I answer to anything...DW taught me that!

Old 09-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Are there corrosion or similar issues if camping near salt water? I’ve heard that brakes can rust and you should camp no closer than 30 miles away from such bodies of salt water. Counting on experienced campers to let me know.
Thanks! [emoji3577]
I live about a block away from salt water. My TT has a beautiful vista of the Sound from its parking spot. In the nearly 4 years we've been here, no rust or corrosion.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #7

I agree, stay more than 30 miles away, my favorite campgrounds are getting too packed. I want to camp right on the ocean, with only a sand dune between me and Davy Jones' Locker. 100 yards is perfect. we used to spend 30 nights on OBX every year. last 2 years we were short changed, but I still got October/November left this year.

Yes it causes issues, I would find myself replacing exterior bolts with Stainless steel, or painting over them as part of yearly maintenance with clear rustomlim paint.

Once you leave, wash the RV and rise it well. I have seem some pull on top of yard sprinklers as an extra measure.

But time next to the ocean is no where near as bad as driving on modern ice/snow repellents.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I agree, stay more than 30 miles away, my favorite campgrounds are getting too packed. I want to camp right on the ocean, with only a sand dune between me and Davy Jones' Locker. 100 yards is perfect. we used to spend 30 nights on OBX every year. last 2 years we were short changed, but I still got October/November left this year.

Yes it causes issues, I would find myself replacing exterior bolts with Stainless steel, or painting over them as part of yearly maintenance with clear rustomlim paint.

Once you leave, wash the RV and rise it well. I have seem some pull on top of yard sprinklers as an extra measure.

But time next to the ocean is no where near as bad as driving on modern ice/snow repellents.

I agree with rinsing off but more so if driving in winter weather than if near the Ocean.

Unless one drives on the ocean beach and gets salt laden sand all over the undercarriage the chances of actually getting "salted" is low. One exception might be during winter camping with high winds driving salt spray inland but that's not usually good camping weather anyway.

As for "modern ice/snow repellents", actually the modern ones are less of a problem than the old school methods. Many places still use salt even though it destroys concrete road surfaces and bridges. Where they have "gone modern" liquid compounds are used that both melt and prevent ice from sticking. Most of those compounds now have anti-corrosion chemicals added.

Sadly many highway departments are forced to use salt because "decision makers" think it's cheaper to replace roads and bridges. Probably influenced by the fact that many of them won't be making those decisions down the road when the real expense becomes reality.

FWIW this is both a public and private sector problem. Actually had a boss that said exactly that, "Who cares, none of us will be around when that expense comes due".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
DaveAlb

We need to find out where OBX is so we can all camp with you.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
We need to find out where OBX is so we can all camp with you.
OBX = Outer Banks, NC. Super area!

Old 09-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
DaveAlb

I bet it is great! Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone about it. I don’t know if we’ll make it that far north...we’re thinking Florida.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #12

this is the first row, I like the 2nd 3rd or 4th.

And Dave, I just moved to Fla 2 years ago, looking forward to exploring some of the FLA coast. But I have 4 weeks of "use it or loose it" vacation left over because of Covid this year, so here we go . I don't mind isolating out on a beach

Don't worry, I get 7 weeks vacation per year, and I will be carrying 3 weeks into next year so maybe we will run into you in Fla .

only advice on Fla is make reservations way in the future. last winter (pre covid) I could not get reservations any place near ocean.
we live in Central Fl.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #13

We live 600 miles from any saltwater body, but we camp on the Gulf for a couple three weeks in winter. I do notice that external hardware does rust more during that camping session. Bicycles and chairs left outside and RV hitch hardware definitely showed more rust than they would have back home.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #14
DaveAlb

I should be able to meet you there soon[emoji81]. Someone has serious drone or passenger pigeon skills.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #15
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
this is the first row, I like the 2nd 3rd or 4th.

And Dave, I just moved to Fla 2 years ago, looking forward to exploring some of the FLA coast. But I have 4 weeks of "use it or loose it" vacation left over because of Covid this year, so here we go . I don't mind isolating out on a beach

Don't worry, I get 7 weeks vacation per year, and I will be carrying 3 weeks into next year so maybe we will run into you in Fla .

only advice on Fla is make reservations way in the future. last winter (pre covid) I could not get reservations any place near ocean.
we live in Central Fl.
That sure looks like site 101 at Cape Hatteras/Outer Banks KOA to me.
Not that this ol’ Canadian would know.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #16
DaveAlb

My gosh...we have an international going on![emoji3]
Old 09-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #17
DaveAlb

Conversation I mean...
Old 09-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
<snip>
As for "modern ice/snow repellents", actually the modern ones are less of a problem than the old school methods. Many places still use salt even though it destroys concrete road surfaces and bridges. Where they have "gone modern" liquid compounds are used that both melt and prevent ice from sticking. Most of those compounds now have anti-corrosion chemicals added.<snip>.

Montana uses liquid Magnesium Chloride which corrodes Aluminum quicky. I had a fairly new set of aluminum wheels on my truck - got behind a State truck spraying that crap in Missoula - washed it off 180 miles later inPost Falls, ID and it had already pitted the wheels. It was also a PITA to get off the truck and windshield.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #19
DaveAlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Montana uses liquid Magnesium Chloride which corrodes Aluminum quicky. I had a fairly new set of aluminum wheels on my truck - got behind a State truck spraying that crap in Missoula - washed it off 180 miles later inPost Falls, ID and it had already pitted the wheels. It was also a PITA to get off the truck and windshield.

In South Dakota, they use beet juice! No joke...
Old 09-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #20

Once when we were visiting the Florida keys I looked at a used camper that was only two or three years old and priced very low. Upon examination it had lots of rust including both the inside and outside of the refrigerator. I was ready to buy it until I saw all the rust.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, water