Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #21

I spend a month in Florida every year, about 100 yards from the ocean. Any metal will pit. The first year all my chrome latches bcame pitted, I now apply a thin coat of vaseline to the chrome surfaces when I get there. Yes, some damage was done the first time, but it hasn't progressed since then with the vaseline applied as I go every year.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #22

FWIW. I live at the shore and drive on the beach all winter. When I sold my Suburban it had one inch holes in the frame I beams. So keep a good watch on it.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:16 PM   #23
Brake is on left

Boats are just floating RVs. They fare well with basic maintenance. I wouldn't worry about it.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Boats are just floating RVs. They fare well with basic maintenance. I wouldn't worry about it.
But boats don't use carbon steel as the keel. Everything is made for a corrosive environment. That is why any load bearing metal parts costs 3x what you would expect.

Boats also succumb to salt water. Many inland boaters will not buy a boat that has been in salt water.

Go to the coast and enjoy. Just pay attention to any little rust spot as soon as you see it. When you leave the salty air do a thorough rinse off.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #25

If you leave salt water on it for long periods whether ocean or road salt you can have issues.

But we camp at Ocean Lakes near Myrtle Beach and leave our camper stored near Myrtle Beach with few issues. Been going there for the past 15 plus years. The sun causes more issues with drying plastics out.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #26
D W

Here in Alaska, we've camped on the Kenai Penninsula (Cook Inlet), for many years. Never had a problem with salt air or water. If there is wind you may encounter a salt film on the rig, but you rinse it off when you get home. Staying 30 miles away from saltwater? Not an option on the Kenai.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #27

We camp near oceans a couple times a year with no ill-effects. We just don't take the vehicles near the water.

If you get a tidal surge though that overflows onto a highway, which can occur due to wind or high waves, I would strongly recommend not driving through that water. The briny water will definitely speed up your car's rust, expecially in places hard to get to.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #28
DaveAlb

Thanks for all of the wisdom![emoji868]
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #29
Dahagen

I spent a winter season at the On The Beach RV park in Port Aransas, Texas and had only a few problems. Had to wash the windshield every few days so I could see the Gulf. Some interior wood warped, but was back to normal a week after I left the coast. And all my compartment metal closers got pitted from the salt spray. I was told to silicone my jacks monthly, which I did. But it was a great winter being with all those 'winter Texans.'
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #30

We live across the street from a bay off of the Long Island Sound. Strong East winds will blow the salt water on everything. We also four wheel on the ocean beaches, and own a boat which is fresh water cooled and kept on a trailer when not in the water.

We just hose everything off after storms, 4x4ing, and boating. Even run fresh water from a hose through the outdrive to clean the saltwater side of our heat exchangers.

They also love to use salt and brine on the roads here too. So we're doing a lot of hosing off in the winter and then blowing the hose out with air to keep it from freezing.

With a little prevention, nothing is rusting away.

I love the smell of salt air in the morning!

Just noticed, my avatar pic was taken down the block on the water.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I agree with rinsing off but more so if driving in winter weather than if near the Ocean.

Unless one drives on the ocean beach and gets salt laden sand all over the undercarriage the chances of actually getting "salted" is low. One exception might be during winter camping with high winds driving salt spray inland but that's not usually good camping weather anyway.

As for "modern ice/snow repellents", actually the modern ones are less of a problem than the old school methods. Many places still use salt even though it destroys concrete road surfaces and bridges. Where they have "gone modern" liquid compounds are used that both melt and prevent ice from sticking. Most of those compounds now have anti-corrosion chemicals added.

Sadly many highway departments are forced to use salt because "decision makers" think it's cheaper to replace roads and bridges. Probably influenced by the fact that many of them won't be making those decisions down the road when the real expense becomes reality.

FWIW this is both a public and private sector problem. Actually had a boss that said exactly that, "Who cares, none of us will be around when that expense comes due".
Kinda like the national budget, eh?
Old 09-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlb View Post
Are there corrosion or similar issues if camping near salt water? I’ve heard that brakes can rust and you should camp no closer than 30 miles away from such bodies of salt water. Counting on experienced campers to let me know.
Thanks! ✌️
I don't know where you heard that but you should consider deleting that reference from your searches.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
We camp near oceans a couple times a year with no ill-effects. We just don't take the vehicles near the water.
What fun is that?

The noise you hear near the end is the sand hitting underbelly of Jeep Liberty.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
We've camped at Edisto Beach State Park in South Carolina every winter for the last five years. We spend two weeks there and the campsite is about 100 yds from the ocean. We have had no problems. I would recommend rinsing off the camper, axles, brakes, etc after leaving, but the rain usually does that for us.
Curious about the mosquitoes?
We have camped at Myrtle Beach State Park and at Huntington Beach State Park. I got killed by the Squiters! Especially walking Stella the Rottie at night. The "War Department" made reservations for Hunting Island State Park last week in September. I cancelled them ughh.

In my younger days I would not care, my old fart tolerance is not good :-)
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Curious about the mosquitoes?
We have camped at Myrtle Beach State Park and at Huntington Beach State Park. I got killed by the Squiters! Especially walking Stella the Rottie at night. The "War Department" made reservations for Hunting Island State Park last week in September. I cancelled them ughh.

In my younger days I would not care, my old fart tolerance is not good :-)

Here's the trick: Bring an oscillating fan and turn it on. Keeps all of the skeeters away. Horseflies, not so much.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
Here's the trick: Bring an oscillating fan and turn it on. Keeps all of the skeeters away. Horseflies, not so much.
If a fan will help I am bringing my big Hollywood Shop Fan!

Thanks
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:13 PM   #37

This close to the ocean the wind is always blowing and very seldom have bug problems. But walk over to the sound side and the bugs will carry you away.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #38

Only if you are there for 6 months at a time or more. Still, always check before going to or coming from a destination.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #39

We're from Wis so I wanted to camp near the Gulf at Corpus Christi and Galveston last March. Even the brief over night showers left salt spots on our vehicles. That was probably worse than our salted highways in winter. I doubt I'll do that again.
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:12 PM   #40

Colorado uses calcium chloride , Works better then salt at elevation , in fact they don't use salt because it doesn't work at elevation . but the chloride is just about as bad as salt . Coats undercarriage with a glaze and needs be washed off regularly . Before the calcium chloride they just used cinders lots of broken windshields .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, water