Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #1

Angry Cardinal Roof Headaches.....

Well I'm pretty hacked with my Cardinal. When I bought it from it's previous owner I had it checked out and I was OK. It was all solid then. Now 18 months later I take it out and see some wrinkled stuff on the ceiling in the bedroom and in the back corner of big room. So I crawl up on the roof and find some soft spots along the edges. Small maybe 2 or 3 foot long and about 1 to 2 foot wide. Three spots all along the side edge of the roof. This was all fine in the spring. It's puzzling to me how this could deteriorate this quickly. Considering water leaks are a pain anyway, what's the best way to repair this. I hate to put on a new roof as this one is only 6 years old but that may be the only fix. Considering some of the other problems I've had with this unit and the near impossibility of getting through to Forest River on the phone I think this is the last Forrest River product I'll ever own.
BTW watch your wire guide in the slide outs. Since they did it the cheap way and those plastic bushing don't have any retaining rings, the wire ties they use to secure wire to the bushing can slide right off. I had some wires pulled in two because of this. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
jcotner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Is it possible that the roof is still under warranty for that problem?
Sounds like water got through a seal, or roof opening. I suppose it could do a lot of damage in a hurry. Sorry to hear of the problem. My last trailer was plagued with water leaks...and it was BRAND NEW! (Keystone) Once I got them all worked out...it was a wonderful trailer.

Good luck

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
RAC

Sorry to hear about your conundrum. I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance. Personally I use a "white Board" to handle all my mechanical maintenance for all my vehicles, trailers, jet ski's, etc. Basically tracking lube data, hours and due status. I use a spreadsheet with all the "systems" and items I want to check on the left column, and I do a 52 week schedule. Some things I check pre-trip, some things monthly, some weekly, and post-trip. This way I can make sure that I am looking at everything throughout the year and noting problems before they become disasters.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #4

Update on my roof headaches...

Well the shop got it and it needs a new roof. Minimum $3000. That's just for the top of the unit. I simply can't afford to fix the damage inside at this point but I have to do something about the roof now. Neither I nor the shop guys can figure out where the leak(s) are. Shop guy 's best guess is the skylight in the bathroom, but he is not sure.

I am somewhat encouraged, but with reservations, in that Forest River has taken an interest in this problem.That would certainly be a tremendous good will booster if they would help.

I'll post back on this when I know more. Everybody keep your fingers crossed!
jcotner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #5

When the roof comes off they should be able to at least pinpoint where the water was getting in. Hopefully.

Dang roofs are expensive though.

Keep us posted.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel