Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutdriver View Post
I had been reading about this unit. Looks like a very nice generator. I talked with an online dealer but they indicated that it is a direct ship from Westinghouse and they were uncertain of the time to fill back orders. If I decide not to purchase the generator before my next trip I may still consider that unit.
There is no true "Westinghouse" anymore. The name has been bought by various Chinese manufacturers, who make a variety of products from different Chinese factories.
Just like Bell & Howell.
The Chinese factory that makes the "Westinghouse" generators, also makes similar generators with different brand names.
So warranty issues will be a problem.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #22

bikendan -Thanks for your information on Westinghouse!

All - I decided I better measure my cargo depth and the maximum generator height I can accommodate and still close my tonneau cover is 20.25 inches. The height on the Honda EU300is is 22" so I guess that option is ruled out. I really appreciate all the insights. My current thought is to start focusing on the Champion probably either the 3400 or 3500 units and look for a good sale or possible consider two 2000-2200 watt units run in parallel. I do kinda like the idea of running a smaller generator when I do not need the AC.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #23

I don't think the smaller Champions have a remote control start/stop feature while the larger 3400/3500 does have this option.

You'll wish you had a remote start/shutdown feature the first time you have to run out of the camper in rainey weather to start it so the DW can use her hair dryer.
Ilovemywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #24

Home Depot had better sale prices than others when we bought ours last year.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #25
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Despite some pictures which are early pictures showing the 30A RV plug upside down... Westinghouse has changed it to be correctly oriented so that your 30A cable plugs in the way the rest of the world runs!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westingh...SABEgIC8vD_BwE

Ordered mine for pick up at HD store. That way if it looked damaged on inspection it was their problem.
I'll keep this in mind when I decide to finally buy one. I have a toy hauler with a 30-40 gal fuel tank so fuel would not be much of an issue. I'll have to measure my stock generator location to see if this would fit. It's way cheaper than buying an Onan.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #26
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Have a Westinghouse iGen 4500. 4500 Watt Digital Inverter Generator and it is quiet, has a standard 30Amp RV plug on it, plenty of power... 4500 Peak Watts / 3700 Running Watts. So I can run AC and not worry about having microwave, TV, Fridge running. It can be hooked to another with an optional 50A parallel cord of the big rigs without onboard gen. Remote start key fob, push button electric start, 3.4 gallon fuel tank runs 16 hours @ 25%. I run mine all night with AC going. Sound is 65dBA... 62dBA 25% Load. Weighs about 104 Lbs so it doesn't walk away so easy. Nice Digital LED readouts for Remaining Run Time on Fuel tank, Power output (kW), Fuel Level (in Liters) Voltage. you have a full 30 Amps running so everything you can do at a 30A shore power hookup you have with this. Uses Unleaded Gasoline... as if you can buy anything else! 10% Ethanol or less. Low Oil Shutdown. Telescoping Handle and wheels. It has been a good one for me. They had been hard to get and were selling out as quick as suppliers got them in. Champion, Yamaha and Honda had supply lines and stock so Westinghouse hasn't gotten much attention. I liked the 3700 continuous running watts which is higher than the rest in the Inverter Generator class. No open frame hoss for me... I like being friends with my camping neighbors!
What is your experience with fuel use? They claim 18 hours on a tank 3.4 gal. With occasional use (hottest part of the day for air conditioning, etc.) and a 5 gallon reserve, one could get by for about a week?

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:16 PM   #27

I have a Yamaha ef3000iseb it fits in the bed of my truck and the tonneau cover hides it from the elements it runs super quiet. I would say quieter than the honda’s It’s heavy 150lbs but it’s strapped in the bed all season long. I got lucky on my unit I purchased it on Facebook Marketplace and paid $1000 with only 6hrs of use. I boondock with a 15k A/C and tv with no problems and the quality is superb so if you can find a nice unit for a good price i recommend the Yamaha.
sanchito6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #28

well as a honda dealer i stick with honda, i have been repairing small engines and portable gens for 30 years, they cover a lot under warranty, champion is a ok gen but hard to get warranty items covered. they fight it every step of the way. as far as running in the pickup bed just make sure its clear all the way around it. you dont want the unit to over heat, engine makes heat, generator makes heat and make sure and chain it to your bed somehow, they walk off sometimes
Tanderson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #29

Champion is a great option.

I have had a duel fuel champion for 14 months. It runs my 13.5'btu ac and other things no problem. Gas or lp gas. I also use it around home for other things. Nice and quiet.
Sgfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #30

My 3400 Dual Fuel is awesome. I run our 13500 AC on propane. I picked up a hard start for the AC for $30 but haven’t installed it yet. So far, no need but will eventually stick it in to help the unit out when running on the generator.

Just a side note, I talked to Champion and there is NO difference between the 3400 and 3500 watt generarors. The outlets that sell the 3500 like Cabelas etc. requested the 3500 labeling.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #31

I bought this generator from Harbor Freight, and couldn’t be happier with it:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html

I know what most folks think about Harbor Freight, but if you use one of their 20% off coupons, this genny is dirt cheap, AND it powers everything on my Rockwood Mini Lite 2507. I can run my microwave, my AC, and my 2nd refrigerator (I have a small 120 volt AC refrigerator in the outside kitchen) all at the same time with no problem. I have a Champion 9600 dual fuel that I use for emergencies, and the other folks are right, it's clean running and when I do my oil changes, the oil looks as good as the new oil I’m putting in it! But NOISY!!!

The HF unit is extremely quiet as well as powerful, and while it might be a little heavy, it’s nothing compared to the big Champion! BTW, my HF genny is now 5 months old and with me religiously following the recommended break in instructions and changing the oil as outlined during that break in, this thing hasn’t skipped a beat. VERY quiet, can’t hardly even hear it inside the coach when set behind at about 20’ even under full load.

Albert Einstein

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2507 - 2017 Ram 1500 5.7L
A41Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #32

Wow, I'm amazed you guys can actually power your RV's on a Champion 3400. I think I had a 3800 peak, 3000 steady and it jumped around like it was on a pogo stick when I tried it on my 3/4 hp table saw. Apparently the competition is so fierce they really maximize their advertised capabilities. I moved up to a large 7200 electric start which had no problem but was heavy as Hell and had to lift in place into the pickup bed with my lift in the garage. But it would run everything! Then a buddy put me onto the twin Honda 2200's with the parallel port but the retail was off the financial chart so I opted for twin Ryobi's from Home Depot for half the cost and parallel port for the RV plug in and it is just enough and they run pretty much as quiet as the Honda's do. I believe Champion also has a parallel setup for their smaller units but after my experience I'm not a big fan of Champion. I was keeping the big brute Champion for the house but our power is so reliable I Craig listed it for close to what I paid and just use the 2 Ryobi's as back up for the house.
jz5w63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgso View Post
I have been looking at the Champion generators as well. I have decided on the 3100/2800 dual fuel. I will probably just run off of propane, but like having the gas option. It is a good tradeoff of size, weight, noise level, price and features. I found it refurbished for $719 or new for $849. It should easily run my 1350 watt AC.

Check out supergenproducts.com...excellent price on refurbished champion inverters.
The furnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #34

As an update... I was the OP. Just in the last few days, I picked up a 3400 watt Champion with electric start and remote start. I am very happy so far with my purchase. I tried it out with the AC and it did not seem to have any trouble running that unit even in eco mode on a hot Kansas day. Build quality / fit and finish is quite impressive although I recognize that it is difficult to evaluate that without some time with the unit. I do appreciate that it is apparently engineered in the US. The Honda 3000 would have been a great (but pricey) unit unit but I really wanted to be able to close up my truck bed tonneau cover with the generator stashed away. The Honda was a couple inches too tall in my truck.

I would be interested in hearing what everyone is doing with their eco mode control. Do you turn it off when using the AC or leave the unit in eco mode?
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #35

I've been leaving mine in eco modefor the most part. Works great until the camper cools down to the thermostat set point and the compressor starts cycling. I think i really need a hard start capacitor... it really hits the generator hard when the compressor starts in eco-mode.

Where did you end up getting your champion from? Hopefully you got a really good deal!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #36

I have the 3400 dualfuel. Leave mine in eco mode. You hear it come out real quick when the compressor kicks on but ramps back down very quickly.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #37
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I did the mod that let's me use a portable marine 6 gal gas tank for extended run. I never use the onboard tank anymore and I can run all night. The mod cost $60 in parts and took an hour to install. The youtube video shows how to do it.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #38

I use the Champion Dual Fuel sold at Costco. 3100/2800.

I purchased dual fuel so I could run off propane.

My genny is installed above the propane tanks (TT) using a Stromberg-Carlson rack mount. Genny never has to be removed. I connect it to propane and it runs my 13.5 AC without any hesitation.

Did not want to store and transport gasoline cans.

I can also carry a spare propane tank for longer boondocking trips.

IMO my above set up is the best option for not having to deal with lifting and toting genny around, storing/transporting gasoline.

Also.....gasoline clogs genny carbs very easy if gas is not removed and genny is run regularly
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #39

Generator

Chinese generators are about half the price of a Honda generator. Purchased Chinese generator years ago and it lasted about two seasons. Purchased a Honda generator after that and that was eight years ago. Never a problem. Use it to also run leaf blower and electric chainsaw. You pay now or pay later.
czachry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz5w63 View Post
Wow, I'm amazed you guys can actually power your RV's on a Champion 3400. I think I had a 3800 peak, 3000 steady and it jumped around like it was on a pogo stick when I tried it on my 3/4 hp table saw. Apparently the competition is so fierce they really maximize their advertised capabilities. I moved up to a large 7200 electric start which had no problem but was heavy as Hell and had to lift in place into the pickup bed with my lift in the garage. But it would run everything! Then a buddy put me onto the twin Honda 2200's with the parallel port but the retail was off the financial chart so I opted for twin Ryobi's from Home Depot for half the cost and parallel port for the RV plug in and it is just enough and they run pretty much as quiet as the Honda's do. I believe Champion also has a parallel setup for their smaller units but after my experience I'm not a big fan of Champion. I was keeping the big brute Champion for the house but our power is so reliable I Craig listed it for close to what I paid and just use the 2 Ryobi's as back up for the house.
A 3/4 HP electric motor uses about 1500 watts continuous and 3000 watts surge which is about the same my air conditioner uses and is run by my 3400 watt Champion easily with no problems.

The Champion requires a fair amount of engine break in (a good thing) before it can hold a heavy steady load especially from eco mode-not so much from non-eco mode. I bet if you gave the generator some more time, it would have had no problems running your table saw.

The Royobies you bought seem like nice units and I almost bought a pair but didn't want the hassle of maintaining 2 generators though having several hundred watts more capacity isn't a bad thing.
Ilovemywife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter