Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

Chinese Tires

So I'm getting ready for a 4-5000 mile round trip out west with my 2015 Sandpiper 35ROK. What I'm concerned about is traveling that far on Chinese tires! Really Forest River, you build a unit like this and put cheap tires on it? Why not give us the option to upgrade to better tires? I would have gladly paid extra for Good Years, Michelins, etc.
Anyway I'd love to hear what experiences folks have had with long trips on these tires. Should I change them out or take the chance.
2011 Mustang GT - Tuned and Lethal 475HP
2018 Chrysler Pacifica (hey ya gotta have somethin for mom!)
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #2

For me it would depend on how old the tires are, sidewall condition, weather cracks etc.
I am 2500 miles into a 6000 mile trip in my fiver with 2012 tires. The tires are in very good shape but I had them balanced and new metal valve stems installed.
I also pulled the hubs and replaced a leaky seal and re greased them. I check the pressure every day ( no change so far) and check the tire and bearing temp at each fuel stop with an infrared temp guage.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #3

I have over 14000 miles on my Chinese made tires but they say Goodyear Marathon on the sidewall. I don't think there is anything wrong with foreign made tires as long as there is a reputable U.S. company behind them with a valuable reputation to protect.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Replacing my Trail Express tires is on my TODO list this summer but, in the meantime, I just keep a REAL close eye on them. (Pressure, checking for signs of cracks, broken belts, etc.) I've researched replacement tires and the Maxxis seem to have the highest ratings, so that's what I plan on buying. (My local Discount Tire can order them for $99 each for me....I've already checked!)

But I've also known people who kept their "china bombs" for years and never had an issue so it's whatever you're most comfortable with.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 AM   #5
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacketsbum View Post
Anyway I'd love to hear what experiences folks have had with long trips on these tires. Should I change them out or take the chance.
Four yrs and 21K km on tires (Duro) that hail from the PRC. Some long, mountainous excursions too. One of the tires was patched a couple of yrs ago after taking a longish crown staple in the tread. It has been no worse for wear since. Contemplating replacement after this season but there is lots of tread left and they are not exhibiting any adverse sign of aging. Evidently, not all China bombs are... bombs?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:37 AM   #6

Age of tires and driving speeds would be helpful.....my Trail Express started showing some cracking around 2 yr 9 mo range.....replaced them with maxxis even though they looked new and still had nibs.....the cracking was near the bead......good luck

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #7

I guess I’ve been lucky, I’ve never had a problem with tires that came with the fifth wheels I’ve owned. I’ve been RVing since 2003 and have traveled close to 100,000 miles towing the trailer. My rule of thumb for tires is to replace them after 4 seasons or 25,000 miles regardless of how good the tires might look. When I buy tires I get the best ST tires I can find. I recently replaced my tires (23, 687 miles) with Maxxis 8008 tires.

If you are uncomfortable taking a long trip with the tires you currently have on your Sandpiper then by all means replace them. Peace of mind is very important.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
Site Team

My 4 trail express blowouts, on two fifth wheels occurred at around 1500, 3000, 3500 and 5000 miles. None showed damage or wear prior to blowing off tread or sidewall. All had been checked for pressure and heat within previous hour. All were within 150 miles of home.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacketsbum View Post
So I'm getting ready for a 4-5000 mile round trip out west with my 2015 Sandpiper 35ROK. What I'm concerned about is traveling that far on Chinese tires! Really Forest River, you build a unit like this and put cheap tires on it? Why not give us the option to upgrade to better tires? I would have gladly paid extra for Good Years, Michelins, etc.
It really depends on the tire itself. Nobody can really tell you that without inspecting them. I would take it to a tire dealer and have them look at them and let you know. Not all tires are bad, you didn't mention how many miles you put on them in the 33 nights camped in 2014. I went from Virginia to Oregon and back on my original tires which were Trail Express with no problems at all. I put Brand new 10 ply Michelins on my TV before we left, frist night out had a flat in the morning in my brand new tire. Even if you buy brand new tires you still have a chance of something going wrong. Before I had a blow out on the trailer I had over 6000 miles on them others have had 100. Your tire dealer should make that determination if you are worried....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #10

Just completed a 8000 mile trip on 2012 Trail Express tires with no issues.
Prior to the trip I had them balanced and replaced the stems with high quality metal ones at Discount Tire.
I checked the temp at all gas stops and checked the pressure a few times but pressure was always close to the same.
This trip took me through areas where the temps were as high as 104 down to the 50's.
Not saying that there are not bad tires out there but attention to details can alleviate a lot of grief.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires