Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Construction

I'm considering a 5th wheel to replace my larger travel trailer.

I use this trailer in my business as basically a mobile hotel room. Often I have extended stays in winter weather - some stretches 0 to 20 degrees.

I'm not happy with the winter performance of the TT, so I'm thinking a 5th wheel may be better. Could also use the extra space too. Thermo windows are a must. Seems to me winter capable RV's trend to the heavy side.

This week I was looking thru the Forest River brands. Both the Cardinal and the Cedar Creek are appealing, but they are built differently. I found it surprising the Cedar Creek takes digs at their competitor's contruction methods when these same methods are employed in the Cardinal. Namely the welded vs bolted structures and the laminated vs glued sidewalls. Could some weigh in on this - not the digs, but the differences in this kind of construction, as I really don't understand why one would be better. Seems they both have their advantages.

Another consideration is my truck. I don't want a dually. I have a deisel 3/4 ton that I like. It's hard to nail down precisely it's limits, but I don't want to go over on 2000 on pin wieght - believe my limit is around there. The total trailer weight could be high - but I don't want over 12k.

I see one Cedar Creek that I like - the 36CKS - the online info says pin weight is 1400! But the brochure says much higher - almost 2400. Most of the big 5th wheels are in that ballpark, so it may be right.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #2

Since you are taking about long stays in very cold weather, the number one concern would be insulation. There is a huge variation in the ratings of various campers.
And yes, anything that meets your requirements is going to be heavy.

As for glued vs laminated walls, the laminated ones are glued as well, so not sure what the dfference would be.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #3

Since you do not want a dually, you are going to be limited to fivers under about 30 feet in length. And the number of manufacturers who build a 0 degree rated fiver under 30 feet is exactly ZERO! The smallest Cedar Creeks are found in the Silverback lineup. While I really like my CC, and I have owned it since 2005, I really dont think I would want to live in it at anything less than 30 degrees.
Remember that approx 20% of a fivers ready to travel weight is carried directly over the rear axle of the truck. and 3/4 ton trucks just do not have that much real world capacity left over. Point of reference, my 2005 CC scales ready to travel at 13,500 pounds. At that weight my pin weight is about 3000 pounds. And my fiver is not large by today's standards. We originally were pulling with a 2500HD Duramax/Ally and after three years we gave up and bought a dually, and never looked back
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

Wish some of these manufactures would get with the new materials - especially spray foam insulation - then I could get what I need.

Any suggestions on maybe a travel trailer brand that is cold weather capable?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn
Since you do not want a dually, you are going to be limited to fivers under about 30 feet in length.
Huh, guess 75% of people are over. I will keep this in mind when I trade my TT for a bigger 5er, I will need a dually.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #6

I just don't want to drive such a monster truck. Cost not the issue, the 3/4 ton is huge enough to deal with around town.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #7

Length is not relevant, weight is relevant.
There are fivers that you can tow with your TV with R-30 insulated floors & ceilings with holding tank heaters. Add dual pane windows and a heated basement and you should be good to go. I would say due to 2" wall construction, you're limited to around an R-9 rating. A fireplace is nice to break the chill.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees View Post
Huh, guess 75% of people are over. I will keep this in mind when I trade my TT for a bigger 5er, I will need a dually.
donn was referring to pulling a camper that was capable of withstanding winter conditions. That means WEIGHT, and he is right that anything over 30 feet would be maxing out a 3/4 ton.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #9

In doing my research, it seems most are R-9 walls. I see a few R-15's. Most show roof and floor of R-25-28. A few R-38. But the way they show layers and material types makes me question those claims. Some show some kind of insulation upgrade you can order - supposedly a different kind of insulation - but of course, there is no data to go with it. Even more frustrating, they offer an insulation upgrade, but no thermal windows.

I agree that I'm seeing the better insulated as heavier - but that isn't only because of insulation - these units are also seem to have heavier structures and other features making them heavy.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #10

Artic-Fox with (Plenty) of heat tape on the H2O systems. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #11

What you are looking for is available, but not that can be towed with a 3/4 ton pick for the reasons provided. There are a few full time 5ers that are rated for what you need, Artic Fox is one that comes to mind. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote