Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

Cover worth it?

I am about to close on a deal for a Rockwood 8313SS. I wonder if an RV cover is really worth it. It costs $499.00. I will have to park an RV in storage outdoors when I do not use it. Is the cover really protective of damage? Is it easy to get on and off? Thanks for you help....I am a rookie about to buy his first RV.
neurorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #2

Hello! We have a 2008 831krss. My second TT and we have purchased the cover for it, Figuring it would be a great idea to get us thru the off season in CT. My opinions on the cover- Definatly expensive, Kinda difficult to get it on the first time. My suggestion would be to bring it onto the roof of the Trailer and unfold it there and drape it over the sides. That made it much easier. Yes it keeps it clean and keeps most of the unnessacry moisture off the roof and what not. Here`s the bad now..(at least what I found).. Had to remove it a couple of weeks ago. I have been battleing an ongoing rodent problem. As far as I can tell..the mice were crawling up the straps and cover to gain access into the trailer. I have gone thru repeated attempt of cleaning them out and once their gone...they come again. Since my last cleanout with the cover off...I have been rodent free. Sooooo my cover is going to remain off for the rest of the season. This however..had no affect with the last TT and the cover. It was parked at a different location in the off season so this time I am gathering I put it in a high traffic area for mice.

That would be my opinion anyhow...Let`s hear what everyone else says!!

Joel
cmprguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #3

I use a cover on an 8318 and had one on my 2601 prior. There is nothing like washing your trailer to put it away, then going back a month later, pulling the cover off and it still being nice and clean.

Plus, if you live in a warmer area or have a lot of sun beating down on it, it really does help keep it cooler.

Yes, they are some work putting on and off, but I think they are worth it.

As far as price goes, $499 sounds way high. I think they (the Adco's) are right around $300 at RVW and other online places.

p.s. Measure the BOX length of your trailer and get the size for that.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #4

I as well am thinking about getting a cover for my unit but what I have experience before with covering items is the wear on the unit from the wind. With that I mean that over say a few months in storage and some normal windy conditions, I would take the cover off and find that the areas like corners would be rubbing against the stored item and sort of wearing down the paint if you can picture that. The motion of the winds during the months and the cover rubbing the stored item would make a wear spot and I really am afraid of that happening with my TT. Unless they put some sort of padding on the underside of those covers to protect the TT from any sort of rubbing contact that might occur.

2005 Surveyor SV234
2004 F-150 Supercrew Lariat / 5.4L / 3.73 Gears
Reese Friction Sway
Voyager Brake Controller
WD Setup
TWhaylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #5

Friends of our have a Jayco and the first time they covered there the cover ripped, it was covered under warrenty they received a new one and as far as I know they have not had any problems. The reason they cover it is because the people next door have pine trees and the sap gets all over it and they have a mess to clean up in the spring. I personnally do not cover mine.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #6

Check with your storage facility, some don't allow it they can blow off and cause damage to nearby units. Also very difficult and dangerous to remove in the wind, makes an excellent sail LOL. Also like said above wind will leave marks on the trailer when the cover moves, also tends to tear it easily on sharp corners.

2006 F250 6.0 Harley Edition
2008 Cedar Creek Day Dreamer
Keith and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #7

We haven't purchased our TT yet, but the local outdoor storage facility nearby rents portable canopy's for $10-$15 extra per month. For $120/year (less than that since you won't need it all year round), you can park your TT in what is essentially a portable car port. That's probably what we'll end up doing.
bobbyg123 is offline   Reply With Quote