Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

Did your brand new unit have any problems?

Was there anything wrong with your unit when you purchased it brand new from a dealer?

Whether it's 1 thing or 29, big or small, you fixed it or dealer fixed it.

List it here if you could.

Another member believes the quality in the industry is pretty darn good and the majority of units have no issues.

I'm curious to know if this is true.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 08-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

We were lucky & only had

1. slide out wear issue ripped the plastic on the slide under side
2. pantry door latches not keeping the doors closed.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 08-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

I am happy with the trailer... Had a few minor things, no big deal necessarily.

1) had a bad entry door keypad. A call to the mfg sent us a new one no questions over nighted.

2)bathroom door knob and striker off by 1". I moved the striker.

3)missing some sealant with a 1/4" gap around shower surround. I re-siliconed it.

4)loose brads and molding around doors and slides. I re-attached with better fasteners than 18ga brads.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

These quality threads are getting out of hand. Do we really need another thread for people to complain and make it sound like the world is going to stop because they have issues with there trailer. If making a trailer with no problems is as easy as some people on here say than maybe they need to start there own business and become millionaires.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Please search the threads, there's plenty of threads with this same topic.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post
Was there anything wrong with your unit when you purchased it brand new from a dealer?

Another member believes the quality in the industry is pretty darn good and the majority of units have no issues.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
It's true
Old 08-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
These quality threads are getting out of hand. Do we really need another thread for people to complain ...

X1000.

These "let's all sit and complain" threads (quality, bad neighbors, bad drivers, etc) do nothing but divide the membership. For these quality threads, I have yet to see where any member has stood up and organized a grassroots campaign to actually make change and make things better. Lots of complaining with no goal nor call to action. Pointless wastes of time, IMO.

If you're going to complain, at least step up and try to do something to make it better.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
These quality threads are getting out of hand. Do we really need another thread for people to complain and make it sound like the world is going to stop because they have issues with there trailer. If making a trailer with no problems is as easy as some people on here say than maybe they need to start there own business and become millionaires.
I do agree they seem to be coming up like rabbits.. I guess it is one of those phases. Maybe next week they will all be how great the FR quality control is.

Maybe the Goshen Rally sparked the trend.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
X1000.

These "let's all sit and complain" threads (quality, bad neighbors, bad drivers, etc) do nothing but divide the membership. For these quality threads, I have yet to see where any member has stood up and organized a grassroots campaign to actually make change and make things better. Lots of complaining with no goal nor call to action. Pointless wastes of time, IMO.

If you're going to complain, at least step up and try to do something to make it better.
But think about it, that is what people generally come to the internet to do.. Complain. I often see new members that their first post is a complain thread not a I love my tenement on wheels.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

My Windjammer will be 1 year old in September. I just had to get the slide-out adjusted. It took them all of 5 minutes. It's been a great trailer. No other problems. I had a Heartland trailer before and it was a lemon. Pages of problems with it. Love the Windjammer.
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #11

I made our unit better and fixed all the issues our 5er had and we haven't had another issue since, it's been 1year now and loving it. Still doing mods here and there on it just small things like, 520 watt Solar system, 435ah battery bank, added blue LED outside step lights, 2000watt inverter, vent covers, and some other odds and ends.
You should just fix what you can and hire the rest out or leave it at the dealer to fix that you trust. I don't trust any around here. Good luck
Happy Camping
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #12

Did your brand new unit have any problems?

I don't come to this forum to complain. I also get a bit irritated when a first post one makes is to tell us how stupid we are for buying a FR product. Come for help and I'll do whatever I can to help you. Come to complain and I have nothing for you but the door out.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
My Windjammer will be 1 year old in September. I just had to get the slide-out adjusted. It took them all of 5 minutes. It's been a great trailer. No other problems. I had a Heartland trailer before and it was a lemon. Pages of problems with it. Love the Windjammer.
I have had my Windjammer for a month now and have camped in it about 15 nights and pulled it a few hundred miles and have had no problems. And I know what to look for. I believe I got a good one, too. Maybe it's Rockwood. Maybe it's Windjammer. Either way, I don't care because I am happy with zero problems. I didn't have any major problems with my previous travel trailer either.

Bruce
Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #14

Pumas are very well made trailers with few issues, lower end maybe but we have owned two. The only issue we have had while under warranty was cosmetic that was not self inflicted.

1. We had a few bubbles under the optional border in the main living area.

Everything else we have done was improvements of things that we added that were not on the trailer to begin with.

Added a second AC / & power to it.
Added a black tank flush.
Added a ceiling fan.
Added roof vent covers. Actually the dealer did that for us after the deal at no added charge.

Current trailer is over 3 years old.

Are campers made to the same standards as houses NO and we should not expect them to be. Actually our house has many more issues than the camper does.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #15

No, campers are not built to the same standards as houses, but I paid 3 times more for this camper than I did my first house......now don't ask me how long ago that was..lol

As for these so called "complaint" threads,...I don't mind reading this type of thread one bit. I often learn something that maybe I should be watching out for. We shouldn't beat anyone up for starting a legitimate thread. When I see a new thread, I have a choice...I can check it out or not. But we shouldn't criticize someone because they too are looking for information. If their topic is a poor one, then the thread will die a quick death. Another choice I have is whether to show kindness or not. I always feel better when I do.

Now as to the op's question; I haven't had this camper long enough to really provide much useful data, but I have had to repair/rewire a couple of things. First was the battery bank....completely mis-wired by the dealer. With the help of a couple of posters here, I got it figured out and corrected. Another item is the door locks. I've had to tweak the alignment a couple of times. Much better now, but still cannot lock the deadbolt from the outside. Next step is a crayon to mark where the striker is landing.
Aside from those items and a few missing/loose screws, I've spent more time just making it mine....a few mods....water filter under sink,...lighted switch for water heater (got that idea here somewhere...thanks)....moving spare tire to rear bumper, lowering Goosebox...that's about it. My dealer is about 5+ hour drive, so ive done it all myself, but I would have done it myself if dealer had been ten miles away.....nice thing about being retired.

Great thread..thanks.u
Old 08-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
The only issue I had with my TT when I took delivery was that the dealer installed the electric tongue jack incorrectly. They replaced the tongue jack with a better model and made sure it was wired correctly.

In the second year the pigtail and awning arm was replaced. It was easier to replace the entire awning arm than just the broken piece. Other than this my unit been problem free except for user error.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #17

We are pretty happy with our 2016 trailer. The microwave blew on our first trip but hey that's an appliance amoung many in the trailer from a multitude of venders and can't blame FR or the dealer for that. Dealer and FR came through and got it fixed in time for our second outing.

We had no issues with the 2013 salem cruise lite we traded for the new flagstaff.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #18
Site Team

i don't think it's realistic to expect NO issues with a new rig.

our 2007 HTT had some minor issues that were all addressed by local dealers we didn't buy from.
FR helped us find local dealers willing to do the warranty repairs, even though we bought from a dealer 2000 miles away.

we still have it after almost 9 years.

we're so happy that we'd buy another FR product.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #19

2015 Salem 27 Rkss-- latch on sofa drawer broke- no problem just bungee when traveling -- latch on breaker box broke -no biggie just put smaller bungee across hooked to command hooks-- since last trip got squeaking noise when entering and exiting trailer-- thinking maybe not completely level. Ground is soft from lots of rain. Truly no problems that we can tell
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Are campers made to the same standards as houses NO and we should not expect them to be. Actually our house has many more issues than the camper does.......
As you stated, anyone who thinks $300,000 houses are delivered "flawless" is delusional.

Production deadlines and incompletely trained workers are in every industry.

My buddy's son took delivery of his new home and the first load of wash done in the upstairs laundry room destroyed the kitchen ceiling and ruined his cabinets because the washing machine drain was neither cemented nor even fully inserted into the sewer stack.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote