Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

Do trailers come with manuals with underfloor diagrams?

I notice that many of the new models have enclosed underbelly and wonder if the trailers come with some sort of diagrams showing where stuff under the floor is installed? Or (shudder) do you just have to rip the covering off and see for yourself when something needs maintenance?

Yep, I'm just that much of a newbie. Still researching floor plans to find a TT that I like and don't know this stuff. With my vehicles I always have done the maintenance myself (other than warranty stuff). I've read a little about RV maintenance work from dealers. They have chosen to combine expensive along with lousy service. I'd rather do it myself.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehil View Post
I notice that many of the new models have enclosed underbelly and wonder if the trailers come with some sort of diagrams showing where stuff under the floor is installed? Or (shudder) do you just have to rip the covering off and see for yourself when something needs maintenance?

Yep, I'm just that much of a newbie. Still researching floor plans to find a TT that I like and don't know this stuff. With my vehicles I always have done the maintenance myself (other than warranty stuff). I've read a little about RV maintenance work from dealers. They have chosen to combine expensive along with lousy service. I'd rather do it myself.
You can stop wondering. Nope - no such thing... but I didn’t have to “rip the covering off”. I just removed some 5/16” self tapping screws to see what’s under mine. Still, not all are like mine.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #3

Yep...they're kinda like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you got till you bite into it. Mines an open belly, so no mystery under there.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #4

They're all different. 2 of the same model might not be 100% alike.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Or (shudder) do you just have to rip the covering off and see for yourself when something needs maintenance?

They have chosen to combine expensive along with lousy service. I'd rather do it myself.

And you'd be better off doing it yourself. You'll just have to pull down the Chloroplast and investigate yourself. While it's down take pictures and annotate them for future reference.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
I notice that many of the new models have enclosed underbelly and wonder if the trailers come with some sort of diagrams showing where stuff under the floor is installed?
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #7

I had a bad feeling even before I asked. Thanks gastan, made me chuckle.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
They're all different. 2 of the same model might not be 100% alike.
X2. I took a plant tour. Hundreds of guys running around getting paid by the piece pushing as fast as possible. Two identical units coming off the line might not be the same.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:

No reason for them. The employees would not use them and could not read if they had them.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:17 AM   #10

It’s not perfect but I have a thermal imaging camera. It is surprising what it lets you see behind a covering. ( framing, heat ducts, pipes under certain conditions). Detects very small temperature differences.
TeacherLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherLee View Post
It’s not perfect but I have a thermal imaging camera. It is surprising what it lets you see behind a covering. ( framing, heat ducts, pipes under certain conditions). Detects very small temperature differences.
Are thermal cameras affordable by the average Joe? Can you post a sample picture?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #12

RV standards? Lol

Wiring diagram? Lol
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #13

Thermal Imaging

I hope these copied right. I should have said imager instead of camera. I took a picture of it’s screen and the dark lines are the structure of the floor. The brightest handprint is where I put my hand down for about 4 seconds. Where the square is is 65 degrees. The trailer isn’t heated right now so differences aren’t as obvious.
I paid around $200 on sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D072156-855C-4944-A400-A2D0E359BE2A.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	204822   Click image for larger version

Name:	E2A5F551-6E00-4BFB-BB8E-33722B488862.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	204823   Click image for larger version

Name:	5FC9775A-0A91-4C75-83F2-FFA32BA756FA.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	204824  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #14

Interesting. Are the dark lines running side to side on the trailer? I'm trying to orient myself regarding the picture.

Would you be able to see water tank outlines? And would you be able to detect a puddle of water on the inside of the chloroplast?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #15

Thermal imaging - more details

Yes, the dark lines run from side to side. I think it could detect the tanks if the water was significantly different temp than rest of materials. This often happens at end of hot day or early in the morning on a cool day. Water changes temp at different rate than other materials. I first saw it used to detect roof leaks. ( at that time 20 years ago the imager was $40,000. I think I paid the man $600 to locate the leaks on our school roof.) We went on roof right after sundown. The dry roof cooled off much faster than the wet deck areas. We outlined those area with chalk. I think the same might work under a trailer.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #16

Rather than dropping the belly cover it's possible to create access ports.

Some will cut squares out so they can access water lines/fittings or wiring. Then make a frame from wood lath on the inside of the hole with half the lath extending out into the opening. Secure with short wood screws then do the same with the panel piece that was cut out. Using 3/4# wood or drywall screws with 1/4" lath, through the 1/4" coroplast will leave no sharp point extending inside. If you want more weatherproofing, some Gorilla Tape over the seam will do the job.

Not a bad idea to make this "Port" large enough to get your head in so you can see other areas for future reference.

This beats removing the whole under-belly and if you have to re-access the same item, just peel tape, remove the screws holding the panel and your ready to do whatever you need to do.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #17

The only reason they make the underbellies enclosed is to hide all the poor workmanship & materials, pfffft.... Had to pull down about 1/2 the underbelly last summer in a CG after the toilet overflowed one night (another story) and soaked the insulation. Not impressed with things I saw down there.

You might find you can work your fingers at the edge of the coroplast and wiggle it down enough below the frame to peer in there. If the insulation blocks the view, you could try a coat hanger wire to prod around. Three-sided flaps work well for access and are easily to seal up with gorilla or scrim tape but the trick is figuring out where to make cuts. You may find that the factory installed the coroplast in 2 or 3 pieces and if lucky, might be able to slide one section out without too much trouble.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #18

Quote:
The only reason they make the underbellies enclosed is to hide all the poor workmanship & materials, pfffft.
Maybe a secondary purpose but I like the fact it keeps my floor warmer and provides a nice barrier to rodents.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Maybe a secondary purpose but I like the fact it keeps my floor warmer and provides a nice barrier to rodents.
Yup, does keep your toes toasty. I did find a mouse skeleton in the underbelly tho. Not sure how it got in there but they can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. I sealed up all the openings in the plywood subfloor a few years ago so at least they can't get inside.

Tags
diagram, floor, manual, manuals, trailer