Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
THANK YOU!! You not only validated my own thought process but the idea that the Govt DOES concern itself with some things which ARE important!
Sorry to disappoint you but the NFPA is not government, it is a private organization and its rules are voluntary (although sometimes referenced in local regulations. )
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #22
"On the road again"

We have the emergency exit in the bedroom and in the living room. Hope and pray we never need either, but I have "practiced" so I know how to open them in the dark. As my Dad always said, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #23

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
... have "practiced" so I know how to open them in the dark.
*** YES *** So very important !!!

It is reasonable to open the various emergency exits - windows - skylights - from time to time. At least at the start of every season, but better yet even check them at the start of each "trip" - make sure the handles operate and that the seal is not stuck shut. Not saying make an actual egress, but just being sure that the opening operates as it should.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #24
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
*** YES *** So very important !!!

It is reasonable to open the various emergency exits - windows - skylights - from time to time. At least at the start of every season, but better yet even check them at the start of each "trip" - make sure the handles operate and that the seal is not stuck shut. Not saying make an actual egress, but just being sure that the opening operates as it should.

Agree. When I said I practice...just opening and closing, not actually escaping.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but the NFPA is not government, it is a private organization and its rules are voluntary (although sometimes referenced in local regulations. )
Yeah, NFPA is voluntary. I never claimed it was government - only that it was used by the RVIA. But the RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Assoc.) and every state with an RV program (that I am aware of) has adopted them. There are many RV mfg. plants in Oregon (of various mfgs.), the state I live in. NFPA 1192 is mandatory by Oregon law so any RV made here will comply with those codes.

The RVIA members make up over 95% of all RV mfgs. in the U.S. (according to them). Many RV's (most?) display the RVIA seal on their units. To do that they must comply with all RVIA codes and accept periodic unannounced plant inspections. RVIA codes are based on the NFPA 1192 and FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) as listed in Title 49, part 571 of the Code of Federal Regulations. If mfgs. want to remain members of the RVIA and use its seal, these requirements are mandatory, not voluntary. Since less than 5% of mfgs. are not members, I assume that most do want to remain and use the RVIA seal.

As I stated earlier, make minimum requirements and most will not do any more. Some will try to do less.
Attached Images

gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:39 AM   #26
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I have the emergency window, however I wonder about the effectiveness, RVs would burn so fast that I suspect I would have less injuries running through a fire to the door then wasting time getting the window open and trying to get through it, not being small, young and athletic definitely complicate things for me and DW too.
I have a 2016 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS with an escape window in the bedroom. There is no way either my wife or I will fit through that window.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:59 AM   #27
usnrete8

The emerg exit in my 2016 Georgetown 270ss is not only very small but the sharp edges of the latch on the bottom of the window frame would gut anyone trying to escape through it.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds41crane View Post
The emerg exit in my 2016 Georgetown 270ss is not only very small but the sharp edges of the latch on the bottom of the window frame would gut anyone trying to escape through it.

This was done on a widow frame of a mobile home, not an RV, but is what you are referring to!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1495.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	150725

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
This was done on a widow frame of a mobile home, not an RV, but is what you are referring to!
Attachment 150725
Robert, you need to leave those widows alone.

Seriously though, that looks painful.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds41crane View Post
That's one thing I remember Mac (the Fire guy) saying, that once you get the window open you should pull a blanket over it. I'm still kind of thinking that my fire extinguisher (we have one on each side of our bed) and running fast may be faster/easier, though I never asked him about that. I just don't see how I could get the window open, a blanket in place and quickly get my feet out the window get turned over on my stomach and out. Might be faster to wrap up in the blanket, and extinguish my way out the front. I'm thinking an airline door with a slide might work! :}
Sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #31

I have a better idea for me, a single garage door and a motor cycle ramp!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Robert, you need to leave those widows alone.

Seriously though, that looks painful.

I was carrying one end of a smallish desk. Never intended to approach the window when it grabbed me, swear on my puppies, it just grabbed me. Doesn't it figure that we are helping a dear friend (DF ? ) move and I removed ALL First Aid and extras out of my TV in anticipation of needing the room. NEVER AGAIN!

ER Nurse asked what I did... then said, "_We_ will assess and determine if you need stitches." I said, "Dollars to dognuts, you will see."

ER Dr. asked ..., after I told him exact same story said, "I will suture when I come back."

I never told either that I had been an EMT for number of years.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #33

One final note on my lack of egress window story: Forest River stepped up and offered to replace one of the bedroom windows with one that met the egress requirements. They put together a kit and a PowerPoint instruction to have our dealer do the replacement at no cost to us. We asked them if we could have it done at the factory in Goshen (about 4 hours away from home) and they agreed. So, we now have an RV that is in compliance with the NFPA requirement. We are very pleased with the factory handling of the replacement.

Tags
bed, roo, window