Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Does everyone have an egress window in the bedroom?

My 2017 Signature Ultra Lite 8299BS 5th wheel has a lot of nice features and we really enjoy it overall. But one thing really bothers me: there is no egress window in the bedroom. The windows that are there are too small to get a full grown adult through or they are fixed and don't open at all.

This seems to me to be a major oversight. Does anyone else (other models) have a bedroom with no egress window?
bobsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

That is why I insisted on 2 doors on my TT. Unfortunately 5th wheels with 2 doors are not common. If you are in the bedroom and there is a raging fire in the kitchen area you have a problem. The emergency window is pretty small and it is a good drop to the ground when you get out, plus I'm to old to crawl through it.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #3

I thought every RV had to have a emergency escape window in the bedroom !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #4

I didn't really look when we got ours. I do plan on adding a fire extinguisher by the bedroom door.
K4DCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #5

I have a FR VIBE 311 TT and it has 2 in the bedroom but I have only 1 door.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
I thought all RVs had one in the bedroom. It seems like safety standards would require it, just as it does for every bedroom in a house.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #7

we have A 2013 Cedar Creek 38FL.. The Bedroom (rear) has no egress window, But the rear door is only 1 step away. Now up front there is one (LR) then again there is the main door right there. Wouldn't have to go thru kitchen from either end in case of emergency.
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
llr

I have the emergency window, however I wonder about the effectiveness, RVs would burn so fast that I suspect I would have less injuries running through a fire to the door then wasting time getting the window open and trying to get through it, not being small, young and athletic definitely complicate things for me and DW too.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #9

If you have flames licking at your heels, I don't think you will worry about the drop from window to ground. Our TT has a door in the bedroom and living room, which I really like, just for that reason. We also have an egress window in the bedroom. I have only seen one fifth wheel with a door in the bedroom, and that one had the rear bedroom and front living room.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #10

We have 2 egress windows in the bedroom. One on each side, both measuring 28" x 20". Big enough to fit my 6'2" self through. I know very well how to drop and roll, even if it is out of the TT window. The fall may hurt a bit.....but it's better than the inevitable!

I am far from being youthful and also sport an artificial leg, but getting out would be no problem. It's all mind over matter, and survival instincts at its best kick in. Amazing what one can do when they have to. Just pray we never need to utilize them ( egress windows ).

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
That is why I insisted on 2 doors on my TT. Unfortunately 5th wheels with 2 doors are not common. If you are in the bedroom and there is a raging fire in the kitchen area you have a problem. The emergency window is pretty small and it is a good drop to the ground when you get out, plus I'm to old to crawl through it.
Light a fire in your kitchen and see how fast you break out that window and get through without any concern for how high you are...................

When you are that full of adrenaline you would be AMAZED at what you can accomplish.

That said, no egress is a problem and you NEED to have a plan of action for that possibility!.............a hammer under the bed? Cordless recip saw to make a hole?
Old 08-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #12

I highly recommend everyone watch Mac the Fire guy's videos on YouTube about escaping an RV fire. He addresses a lot of the issues and things you should do and not do. Our unit has a fire extinguisher by the exit door which would be no help if we were in the BR so we bought small fire extinguishers and have one on each side of the bed. We figure it might give us the extra few seconds to either get past the fire or get the window open. If you are at a rally that he is giving a seminar, GO it might be the most important seminar you've ever attended and btw he is retiring from the road at the end of the year!
Sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #13

Egress window

We had a Georgetown motor home that has the mini window that would not accommodate my adult size behind. All of our TT have windows and doors but come to think of it I guess it may not be a required safety ruling and I don't know why it wouldn't. A concern for sure.
snuelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #14

Nfpa 1192

Alternate exits (fire/emergency exits) are covered in chapter 6 of NFPA 1192 - standard for RV's. (National Fire Protection Association) and is used by the RVIA.

Recreational vehicles shall have a minimum of two exits located remote from each other and so arranged as to provide a means of unobstructed travel to the outside of the vehicle.

Each bedroom or area designed for sleeping shall have at least two unobstructed paths to exit.

The path to exit shall not require passing any designated exit to gain use of another designated exit except where any part of a bed in its normal sleeping configuration is within
24 in. (610 mm) of the plane of the nearest designated exit as projected across the vehicle.

The path leading to an alternate exit, other than that stated in6.2.2, shall be not less
than 13 in. (330 mm) wide at the narrowest point and as a minimum shall extend vertically
from the supporting surface below the alternate exit to the top of the alternate exit

6.2.5*
Size of Alternate Exits.

The alternate exit, if not an exterior passage door, shall provide an opening of sufficient size to permit unobstructed passage, keeping the major axis parallel to the plane of the opening and horizontal at all times, of an ellipsoid generated by rotating about the minor axis an ellipse having a major axis of 24 in. (610 mm) and a minor axis of 17 in. (432 mm).(See Figure A.6.2.5.)

An exterior passage door if used for an alternate exit shall provide an unobstructed opening with a minimum horizontal dimension of 18 in. (457 mm) and a minimum vertical dimension of 48 in. (1.2 m).

As you can see, the minimum size requirements are pretty small and - as is often the case - few do more than the minimum required.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #15

our last two fivers have had an emergency exit at both ends of the camper with the kitchen in the middle. I naturally thought it was either mandated or standard.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Alternate exits (fire/emergency exits) are covered in chapter 6 of NFPA 1192 - standard for RV's. (National Fire Protection Association) and is used by the RVIA.

Recreational vehicles shall have a minimum of two exits located remote from each other and so arranged as to provide a means of unobstructed travel to the outside of the vehicle.

Each bedroom or area designed for sleeping shall have at least two unobstructed paths to exit.

The path to exit shall not require passing any designated exit to gain use of another designated exit except where any part of a bed in its normal sleeping configuration is within
24 in. (610 mm) of the plane of the nearest designated exit as projected across the vehicle.

The path leading to an alternate exit, other than that stated in6.2.2, shall be not less
than 13 in. (330 mm) wide at the narrowest point and as a minimum shall extend vertically
from the supporting surface below the alternate exit to the top of the alternate exit

6.2.5*
Size of Alternate Exits.

The alternate exit, if not an exterior passage door, shall provide an opening of sufficient size to permit unobstructed passage, keeping the major axis parallel to the plane of the opening and horizontal at all times, of an ellipsoid generated by rotating about the minor axis an ellipse having a major axis of 24 in. (610 mm) and a minor axis of 17 in. (432 mm).(See Figure A.6.2.5.)

An exterior passage door if used for an alternate exit shall provide an unobstructed opening with a minimum horizontal dimension of 18 in. (457 mm) and a minimum vertical dimension of 48 in. (1.2 m).

As you can see, the minimum size requirements are pretty small and - as is often the case - few do more than the minimum required.
THANK YOU!! You not only validated my own thought process but the idea that the Govt DOES concern itself with some things which ARE important!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post

6.2.5*
Size of Alternate Exits.

Thank you for the reference. Clearly our brand new RV does not meet the mandated requirement since our bedroom has two fixed windows that are 12.5" wide and 33.5" high and two standard vertical sliding windows that have a 16"x16" opening to the frame - obstructed, of course, by the sliding glass and center bar. None could be considered an "unobstructed opening" even if we pounded out the glass with a ball bat.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 PM   #18
txkreddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
While this may be, and probably is, true, our "escape window" is too small to accommodate DW, and is useless. Hopefully we will never have to use the "escape" procedure our 2015 Coachmen 246RKS has envisioned.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:38 AM   #19

I'm thinking a starvation diet is in store for me! Pretty sure I exceed 13".
Sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:05 AM   #20

Wow. I can't believe some of these fivers don't have one in the bedroom. Ours does, also in the living room, and plenty big enough to get out. Yes, it's a little drop, but you won't even think about that if there's a fire...As far as fifth wheels with 2 doors- there's a ton of them out there.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, roo, window