Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #1

Draining Grey Water

A friend of mine has recently purchased a used trailer that will be "permanently" parked at a seasonal site. It hasn't been delivered yet, but when it is, they have drains that can accept grey water only, but need to rely on their holding tank for black water, and get it pumped when needed. They don't expect to use the black tank much anyway, because bathrooms are provided on site.

The question is, how do you hook up the grey water tank to the drain without risking getting black water in it too? I know they can keep the black valve closed and use one of the adapters on the single outlet that allows them to attach a standard garden hose and feed that into the drain, but that's not a 100% guarantee, since many valves leak over time. Should the grey line be cut, and adapted to go directly into the drain, and then cap the side that connects to the black water tank? Should the "low point drain" be used?

What do others in this situation do?
jason_sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a lot of questions as to "why", but to answer some of your questions, I would simply pull the gray line drain and keep the blank tank closed until such a time that it needs emptied. It's that simple. My guess is that the gray water is being leached out onto the ground somewhere which is why no black water.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_sos View Post
I know they can keep the black valve closed and use one of the adapters on the single outlet that allows them to attach a standard garden hose and feed that into the drain
The CG we were seasonal at up until last year was the same way and what you describe is exactly what we did.

The drain for our grey water was simply a 5 gallon bucket buried in the ground upside down with a hole drilled into it for the hose.

Once a week the CG workers would come by with the honey wagon and empty out our black tanks.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I have a lot of questions as to "why", but to answer some of your questions, I would simply pull the gray line drain and keep the blank tank closed until such a time that it needs emptied. It's that simple. My guess is that the gray water is being leached out onto the ground somewhere which is why no black water.
That's correct, there is a leach field for the grey water.
jason_sos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, grey water, water