Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #1

External Surge Guard and/or EMS needed if rig has an EMS built in?

Curious what all your thoughts are about needing an external Surge guard and/or EMS if our 5th wheel has an EMS built in from the Factory. Rig is a 2018 Cardinal 3525SOX. Thanks in advance!
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #2

Not if it's a real EMS. Do you have a name and model #?

FYI Surge Guard is a registered brand name. Not the name of a device.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:04 PM   #3

Yes sorry - surge protector is what I meant. Anyhow the rig has the precision circuits 50a EMS system and it also has the Xantrex inverter. I read up on it and it doesn’t mention surge protection so likely doesn’t have it.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgump View Post
Yes sorry - surge protector is what I meant. Anyhow the rig has the precision circuits 50a EMS system and it also has the Xantrex inverter. I read up on it and it doesn’t mention surge protection so likely doesn’t have it.
If it's EMS it has surge protection.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
The EMS systems that I have seen all included surge. What is the brand that is in your RV?
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx2Stepn View Post
The EMS systems that I have seen all included surge. What is the brand that is in your RV?
OP said Precision Circuits. First I have heard of that one. Gotta read up on that one.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
can you take a picture of that system. I went to the web site. It appears to be a controller of some kind and not an EMS protection product as we know it.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
Retired Old Fart

I don't think the Precision Circuits unit is a EMS, but a power monitoring system. I took a quick look at their website and it does not appear to be the same thing. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking he still needs something like the Progressive Dynamics units. If it's not a full EMS, I would add a PD hardwired 50amp unit.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I don't think the Precision Circuits unit is a EMS, but a power monitoring system. I took a quick look at their website and it does not appear to be the same thing. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking he still needs something like the Progressive Dynamics units. If it's not a full EMS, I would add a PD hardwired 50amp unit.
Exactly. One I looked at was a load sheading monitor. I don't know of any
Rv that comes with a factory ems or surge protector system. I have heard others think they had one but no one has confirmed. It's all been "I think"
Old 04-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
Ham Call N8SAC

I have camped for over 50 years . And have never used serge protection. And have never had any damage to any TT . Sometimes I think people over think a lot of things. But if they want to waste their money , it’s their money not mine. Most of the serge protection will only work up to a limited voltage . I have seen lightning take out the whole system serge protection and all.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
Site Team

The requirement for a good EMS has changed considerably over the past few years as RVs have gone from one AC to two or three and more high demand items like induction cooktops and convection ovens are standard. At the same time campground electric systems have not kept up. This means more low voltage issues on very hot or very cold days. Lots of threads here by members saved by a good EMS.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #12

Precision is a power management system. I have it in my Cardinal.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #13

the Precision Circuits system is an EMS, but that is an Energy Monitoring System. It does NOT provide any kind of surge arresting capability. I have the same system in my rig. It monitors power draw, and will temporarily shut down loads to keep from popping the shore breaker.
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #14

If I read correctly this is a management system for units with shore power, inverter and or a generator. If I read correctly it handles the electrical load to ensure a non-over amping situation, but hey. I have been wrong many times.
https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
If I read correctly this is a management system for units with shore power, inverter and or a generator. If I read correctly it handles the electrical load to ensure a non-over amping situation, but hey. I have been wrong many times.
The biggest threat to RV's in a campground is low voltage. Precision does nothing for that.

Now we have another company to add to the confusion of electric power protection.

Surge protector and EMS, Surge Guard and surge protector. Now Precision EMS and Progressive Industries EMS. People like the OP are gonna believe they are protected when they are not!!!!
Old 04-22-2019, 05:28 AM   #16

Thanks all. Yes it’s in our 2018 Cardinal. After further reading up on my device it indeed is just a load management system where it will shut down the AC, W/D, etc if insufficient power. It does sense the power it’s plugged into, 30a, 50a but I couldn’t find anywhere about surge or low voltage protection. As much as I hate parting with a few hundo it’s cheap insurance overall in the unlikely event I plug into a bogus power pole or as many have stated during hit summer months when many rigs will have 2 or 3 AC’s cranking away and the campground power can’t keep up.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Not this time. While it is a very useful tool in the drawer, because if it's name there are gonna be some very confused owners of this device as we have seen in this post. I have seen at least 3 other owners state they has factory EMS installed and I ignored it assuming they actually did. However I now see it is completely different.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckabrahamson View Post
the Precision Circuits system is an EMS, but that is an Energy Monitoring System. It does NOT provide any kind of surge arresting capability. I have the same system in my rig. It monitors power draw, and will temporarily shut down loads to keep from popping the shore breaker.
And it is a very good system I'm sure, BUT it does not protect the RV as the Progressive EMS that we have all come to know and love. It cannot shut down incoming low voltage and missed wired outlets which in a major destructive problem to an A/C in the RV world.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The requirement for a good EMS has changed considerably over the past few years as RVs have gone from one AC to two or three and more high demand items like induction cooktops and convection ovens are standard. At the same time campground electric systems have not kept up. This means more low voltage issues on very hot or very cold days. Lots of threads here by members saved by a good EMS.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	202412
Old 04-22-2019, 05:56 AM   #20

In my experience the Precision Circuits is referred to as a PMS...Power Management System. I downloaded the manuals from PC and it's listed in the manuals as a PMS...Not EMS.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote