Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Failed tire examination video

Caught a video of a guy cutting up a failed tire. Now I can't find it to watch the video again. Link would be appreciated or PM me.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #2

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=124323

This one?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Failure is my business

If that is the one, it's mine. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post
I do applaud your your investigative mind set. So many folks seem to take things at face value and then move on without ever understanding what may have brought them to a given circumstance.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I do applaud your your investigative mind set. So many folks seem to take things at face value and then move on without ever understanding what may have brought them to a given circumstance.

Thanks. I'm an engineer and the majority of my job is failure analysis and development of solutions to ensure whatever failed doesn't again. I just like data when making decisions.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:

Yup

You might look at comments starting HERE.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 04-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'm an engineer and the majority of my job is failure analysis and development of solutions to ensure whatever failed doesn't again. I just like data when making decisions.

I did like your
video and comparison of RV vs U-Haul tire application. Would like to post on my blog.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I did like your
video and comparison of RV vs U-Haul tire application. Would like to post on my blog.
Not a problem. ☺
Old 04-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #9

Angry

I wish this thread had been available 18 months ago. Used to live just south of Akron, called on all four manufactures when I had a real day job, and was back there visiting grand children. After getting back on the road, lost three out the four Marathons (110 pi, 80% tread) in a six day period. First blowout did $2000 damage, the last one (the only one with steel belts) ripped out all the wiring an wrapped about the axle - another $3000! Both I and my insurance company files against Goodyear and heard nothing.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Kayo
Sorry to hear about your tire problems. I wonder if you are running a TPMS. Have you confirmed the loads on your tires?

You might want to take a look at my RV tire blog.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #11
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Kayo
Sorry to hear about your tire problems. I wonder if you are running a TPMS. Have you confirmed the loads on your tires?

You might want to take a look at my RV tire blog.
Seconded. It is well done and has a lot of good information.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #12

I didn't hear you mention in all your calculations, tongue weight, which is, or should be 10% to 15% of whatever the trailer weighs; which reduces the burden on axles and tires. So, theoretically your 9500# gross weight trailer, should have a minimum of 950# TW (10%) on the tongue, leaving 8550# divided by the two axles - 4275# and again for each wheel/tire - 2137#, which I bet is well within those components ratings as it left the factory. In light of the real possibility that one side or even one tire could be over loaded, a very common thing, who makes it a point to get their rig weighed by individual wheel? Another quick point, if we all demanded and were willing to pay for tire / axle upgrades, guess what, we would see them on RVs on dealer's lots.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #13

I've always stood by premium tires For me usually Michelin. I balance my own tires on everything I own, have a Hunter spin balance machine. I also mount all my own tires, have a Coats tire machine too. I also manually mount tires for my motorcycles. One thing I always preach about and all my rims have them are screw down (bolt on) all metal valve stems. don't have a solitary tire and rim with a rubber valve stem, not even my lawnmower.

metal valve stems are forever. I've never had a stem failure on anything, ever.

I only use adhesive weights, never clamp on because they promote rim corrosion with alloy rims and I always install my weights as close to the center width of the rim as possible.

Finally, Michelin always balance marks their new tires and that balance dot is always aligned with the valve stem. Of I dismount at tire for any reason, I mark the sidewall at the valve stem with a paint stick so it goes back on, just like it came off.

I may be paranoid but I've never had a tire failure, tread seperation or sidewall failure. I have picked up screws and nails and I may install a plug to get me home, but when home, the plug comes out, the tire is dismounted at least on one side, the area inside the tire is abraided and a vulcanizing boot is applied inside the tire.

Plugging a radial can be a good fix, but it also can be trouble because of the way the radial cords flex under load.

Myself, I'm not into failure. I want it right the first time, every time.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, tire