Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #1

Fifth Wheel Basics

I am looking at getting an F-350 to tow a fifth wheel. Haven't pulled a fifth wheel before but have a question on the truck.

Some of the trucks come with factory prep for the fifth wheel. Does that really matter? Or can all that work be done as easily afterwards when installing a specific hitch? The only truck I've been able to find does not have the fifth wheel factory prep.

Also, are particular hitches preferred for specific trailers? I'm looking at a 6 3/4' bed so I know I'm looking at a slider hitch (or a sidewinder?). Do people pick their own hitch or does each dealer have their preferred hitch model for a particular vehicle - trailer combination?

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #2

You can install a 5th wheel hitch if it doesn't have one already. I did so on a prior F350 with no issues (B&W).

Cannot answer the short bed question as my trucks are all long beds.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #3

Trucks with the factory puck system are nice. Everything is already installed and all you have to do is get a hitch to fit that system. If it doesn't have the puck system it's not that big of a deal. You can either get a gooseneck hitch installed and get a hitch to mount to that system or get ISR rails installed and get a hitch to match that system. When I bought my 5th wheel my dealer installed my ISR rails and hitch. It was included in my deal. Maybe your dealer can do the same or have it taken somewhere to have it installed for you. As far as a particular brand of hitch that is totally up to you. B&W makes a very solid hitch that mounts to all 3 of those systems I mentioned.

2006 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Air Lift 5k bags w/ onboard compressor
2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #4

We installed the B&W ball in the bed of our RAM.

Took my son almost two hours. Dealers generally charge $3-400 to install it minimum The ram was easy.

We purchased the Anderson hitch to minimize weight,. Also because it is good with short bed trucks.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:02 AM   #5

because i have the side tool boxes, (Titan xd) had to go with anderson hook up. see that this thread is little old what did u ever get/do.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:17 AM   #6

Just my opinion but drop the extra bucks for the 450. Different front axle and tighter turning radius.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel