Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
CCRVOC

Fifth Wheel Hitch-up

Curious as I have yet to hook-up a fifth wheel (I will in a couple of weeks). I saw a video on the RV Travel.com site that said to connect your 7 pin connector to the TV before trying to hitch-up. He said this way you could use trailer brakes to keep from rolling. Being the newbe that I am to fifth wheels, I'd like to get your opinon on this, what say you?

Thanks
Reck
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Curious as I have yet to hook-up a fifth wheel (I will in a couple of weeks). I saw a video on the RV Travel.com site that said to connect your 7 pin connector to the TV before trying to hitch-up. He said this way you could use trailer brakes to keep from rolling. Being the newbe that I am to fifth wheels, I'd like to get your opinon on this, what say you?

Thanks
Reck
I do this frequently when hitching up if wheels are not blocked.
Especially at home as its not blocked there.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Always Learning

I *always* have my wheels chocked if the camper isn't attached to the truck. I trust my chocks.

BUT- I can definitely see the value in hooking up the umbilical cord before hitching up.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #4

Not a bad idea, but I would find it awkward to reach down to my brake control to activate the trailer brakes, while at the same time looking back to hit the fifth wheel pin.
I use Bal X-chocks on my camper tires, and that serves the same purpose.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Always have Bal X Chocks installed when I hitch up except at home when it is against the wheel chocks. Removing the Bal X Chocks is the last thing I do on the final walk around checking lights.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post

Thanks
Reck
I guess this would work if you needed extra chocking. We have never found it necessary due to having the 4 wheels chocked and the front landing gear down when hooking up.

One possible problem I could see is if for any reason you have to pull forward to make another attempt to hook up and you forget to disconnect the cord before doing so - well you can visualize what might happen.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Doesn't the camper wheels still go a 1/4 - 1/2 turns before the brakes are engaged?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
One possible problem I could see is if for any reason you have to pull forward to make another attempt to hook up and you forget to disconnect the cord before doing so - well you can visualize what might happen.
Oh, hey - I just did that MONDAY. Went to pull the truck forward after parking the camper and watched both my emergency breakaway and umbilical cord pop out.

I was just having one of those trips...
Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
I will have to agree with B on this one... About the only hook up/disconnect "oops" I have committed in several years of towing a 5th wheel is driving away from the trailer after forgetting to unhook the cord... it plays havoc with the truck side connector.

Had to replace the whole truck side part of the connection. Imho, using the umbilical when hooking up *could* cause the problem B stated.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Oh, hey - I just did that MONDAY. Went to pull the truck forward after parking the camper and watched both my emergency breakaway and umbilical cord pop out.

I was just having one of those trips...
Much damage?

Remember some time ago there was a video showing a new style umbilical cord connector that was designed to release the cord if it was not pulled out even at a 90 degree angle? I never heard anymore about it and was skepical about that part.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Doesn't the camper wheels still go a 1/4 - 1/2 turns before the brakes are engaged?

Dave

No... electric brakes are applied instantly when voltage is applied.

Pinching the brakes while hooking up is a VERY GOOD idea. I have gotten my father into the habit of doing this EVERY time he hooks ups. Once he is hooked he will continue to hold and tug test on the hitch to verify the jaws have locked fully around the king pin...

There are a number of ways to do, chocking the tires is still a great idea but I don't feel they should be relied on solely... Wheel chocks are the first thing I put down and the last thing I pick up when setting up and tearing down camp...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
No... electric brakes are applied instantly when voltage is applied...
That's true, the magnets are energized immediately but the wheels have to turn about 1/4 turn to lever the brake shoes out against the drums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Components.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	35093  
Old 07-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Much damage?

Remember some time ago there was a video showing a new style umbilical cord connector that was designed to release the cord if it was not pulled out even at a 90 degree angle? I never heard anymore about it and was skepical about that part.
Nothing that I've seen. The cord pulled out of the connector - looks like it bent 2 of the pins, but not far enough that it wouldn't go back in on the next hitch up (had it, I would have just switched to my bump connector). I did a walk around, checking all lights and everything seemed fine. Not sure what else to look for.

I reinserted the emergency breakaway cable right away.

I think I got lucky. It was just a reminder that I've been in a brain fog lately.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #14

OC you are correct Dave, I do apologize... I assumed once they expanded they were grabbing... which is true to an extent but they do need to rotate a ways to lock.

Ependydad... at some point you have to trust that the people driving these rigs are capable of small tasks like un hooking wiring before ripping it out of the socket... To be truthful it's folk that can't seem to get those simple steps that scare me on the road... You can't forgo a beneficial step like applying trailer brakes while hooking and un hooking because of being afraid that you may one day forget to un hook the wiring before pulling away... If we were all afraid of small things all the time there would be no reason for us to pull these rigs period...

Old 07-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #15

I guess I must be one of those people that scare you avolenk. Sorry bout that... Then again my years and years of towing all sorts of PUP, TT, 5'r and countless other towables without incident must mean I'm not a total danger...

I suppose I could engage my brake controller when hitching, but I don't. I have the truck bed adapter for my bargman and I could easily plug it in when I drop the tailgate before I back under, but I don't. Largely because I can almost guarantee that I would forget it should I want to pull ahead for another shot at hitching. Could I remember to disconnect, of course I could.

My rig is securely chocked when I hitch. I trust the chocks to hold it, just as I do when we are camping in it, or at the storage lot.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
I guess I must be one of those people that scare you avolenk. Sorry bout that... Then again my years and years of towing all sorts of PUP, TT, 5'r and countless other towables without incident must mean I'm not a total danger...

I suppose I could engage my brake controller when hitching, but I don't. I have the truck bed adapter for my bargman and I could easily plug it in when I drop the tailgate before I back under, but I don't. Largely because I can almost guarantee that I would forget it should I want to pull ahead for another shot at hitching. Could I remember to disconnect, of course I could.

My rig is securely chocked when I hitch. I trust the chocks to hold it, just as I do when we are camping in it, or at the storage lot.

As far as I can tell from here, the only reason you scare me is due to the fact you drive a Ford!

My father has a pullrite super glide hitch so he needs to be more or less spot on with the king pin so I have him stopping short of the pin, getting out looking to verify he is in the right spot, plugging in and then ramming her home!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
CCRVOC

Thanks, good discussion. I think I will keep the tires chocked, but I may try it somewhere down the line....
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #18

Just a note about hitching. What I was advised by a friend to do when hitched is put the landing gear up an inch or so, get in the truck and brake the camper via the brake controller. Then gently give the truck some gas while the camper is braked to be sure you are hitched. I think this is great advice. Remember, everyone who has had a 5th wheel drop and crush the truck bed thought they were hitched OK too. Seen it recently at a campground. Only takes a second and is good insurance. For added insurance for anyone who doesn't know, look up the bedsaver by Blue Ox. Piece of mind for a fair price.
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #19

I'm new to fifth wheel hitching, I just got my first Fifth wheel trailer a month ago... But I ensure that my the tires are chocked before I hitch!!
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #20

How about manually pulling the emergency disconnect while hitching? Brakes will lock and tug test could be performed as well and if you forget the put the E brake pin back in youll be reminded in a hurry when the camper dont move and nothing gets harmed in that process. Just a thought
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote