Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 06:41 AM   #21

I have 1 & use mine every time when set up more than a day. I bought mine from Ultra-Fab & it's lifetime warranty, not to heavy & guaranteed to hold up to 5000 pounds, perfect for my purpose. When I didn't use it, I could feel my granddaughters rollover in the bed in the back of the 5th wheel. When it's in use, no movement when people are walking around inside hardly & we had a 60 MPH thunderstorm roll through & I hardly felt it. So I'd say they're worth it IF you have the 4 point jack system for sure.
zippersbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #22
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedude26 View Post
so what one are you using? i have plenty of storage thats not gonna be a prob but i was just looking at one that has adj legs so if your on a unlevel site it helps, im sure your correct as to the amount of yes and no's , lol
Mine is at least 10 years old or so, nothing fancy...not really adjustable except for the chains to adjust the height. On rare occasion I have had to slide a board under one leg or perhaps two - but I've always been able to make it work.

This is like I have:

https://goo.gl/6KqjwK

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #23
Retired

when we bought our C430RK with the Auto Leveling System this year I asked this question...to use or not. Our TT was parked next to a similar model without Auto Leveling. Our salesperson had me push on the both noses as hard as I could...what a difference in movement with and without ALS. When we are at a CG we use wheel chocks and tire chocks as well but is there no movement in the TT? My feeling is when there are tires involved you will get some movement but far less than our pervious TT.
If we go to adding a W&D we will definitely use a tripod...unless my DW uses the quote of BandJCarm's DW "just get over it"

Happy Trails
Old 07-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Just about everybody in our group used to have one. The very slight stability improvement wasn't worth the PITA of carrying them around and setting them up. Most are heavy, bulky, and cumbersome.

Now, none of us have them and we see very few being used anymore.

B.T.D.D ... bought "full-timer" - read HEAVY and expensive $300 + 13% tax CDN. I did notice a difference - very noticeable (guess 75% improvement) - but a PIA to setup, heavy, takes up room I could use for other things.

SOLD 80$ CDN - yiks quite the loss ...
ANYWAY now using - JT Strong arms (x 6 front and rear - there always installed - pretty quick to set up) ... cost 600$ CDN + 13% tax [that's the installed price]. BETTER than the front stabilizer(ie 85% vs 75% improvement). I am still looking for the FINAL SOLUTION .... maybe add X-Chocks.
X_Medic 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #25
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Medic 73 View Post
B.T.D.D ... bought "full-timer" - read HEAVY and expensive $300 + 13% tax CDN. I did notice a difference - very noticeable (guess 75% improvement) - but a PIA to setup, heavy, takes up room I could use for other things.

SOLD 80$ CDN - yiks quite the loss ...
ANYWAY now using - JT Strong arms (x 6 front and rear - there always installed - pretty quick to set up) ... cost 600$ CDN + 13% tax [that's the installed price]. BETTER than the front stabilizer(ie 85% vs 75% improvement). I am still looking for the FINAL SOLUTION .... maybe add X-Chocks.
Perhaps a difference in Canada and Texas...but I still see a majority of fifth wheels using the tripods in my travels around here. But, to each their own...certainly the choice is up to the individual.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #26
dgibbs1955

The first 3 years of using the 5er, I did not own a stand. Many a night in a severe storm the unit would sway from side-to-side. My DW is petite but a heavy walker and she would could get it moving also. Broke down and purchased a stand with adjustable ratchet legs and I can not feel the wind during a storm and there is no more sway when walking around.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel