RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-16-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

First post re: Azdel

My first question as a new member. I've searched the web and this forum. I have my TT search narrowed down to two makes. One I am considering is the Rockwood 2109S/Flagstaff 21FBRS. I'm convinced I want a Azdel construction. I am hearing but with no confirmation that as of 2021 the 2109S/21FBRS is made with Azdel. The dealer is claiming yes, because there is a sticker on the wall. I haven't been there to look yet, waiting to see what I can find out first. Thanks
jim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #2

I just looked at Forest Rivers' site and they do list Azdel Composite Panels under 'Features' on both the Rockwood and Flagstaff.

https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/t...wood-mini-lite

https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/t...aff-micro-lite
Old 01-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #3

Good catch, I was there this morning and overlooked it. I would have to find out now where exactly are the panels used, corners, back, and or sides. Now it looks like I have to choose between the two makes I'm looking at. So,,,everyone, help convince me between Rockwood 2109S/Flagstaff 21FBRS vs. the only other TT that meets the criteria (winnebago micro minnie 2108 series). Hope that didn't cross the line here
Old 01-16-2021, 02:11 PM   #4

Take your pick with the Rockwood or Flagstaff and suffer nothing by going with one or the other. The only differences are color schemes. Their quality is the same and is better than all other RVs in their price range.

Bruce
Old 01-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #5

We don't have a Rockwood dealer near us so originally went to look at a Flagstaff 21FBRS at a local dealer. We both really liked it but when we walked into a Flagstaff 22FBS and DW saw the fireplace and extra pantry storage, well you know what they say, If mama isn't happy.... You won't go wrong with either the Rockwood or Flagstaff, we really enjoy ours. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

We have been in Rockwoods a few months ago, noticed the quality appearance right off. The 2109S/21FBRS are the only ones in the size/weight range I want. My goal is to be way under the ability of my tow vehicle. We are ex Harley travelers so traveling by truck will be a luxury . Hoping to get to some of the places we missed by 2 wheels!
Old 01-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim57 View Post
Good catch, I was there this morning and overlooked it. I would have to find out now where exactly are the panels used, corners, back, and or sides. Now it looks like I have to choose between the two makes I'm looking at. So,,,everyone, help convince me between Rockwood 2109S/Flagstaff 21FBRS vs. the only other TT that meets the criteria (winnebago micro minnie 2108 series). Hope that didn't cross the line here
If it's built like my Flagstaff, front, back, sides and slideouts are Azdel construction. Including corners where the attachment points are covered with trim pieces.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
They are built on the same assembly line.
Color scheme, fabric and flooring design are the only differences.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=60
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum. I would add that I had two additional criteria that you might consider. Metal frame and 15" tires. My previous TT had an aluminum frame and it lasted us for over twenty years. As for the 14" tires that came on that TT, they were a major problem and were replaced by 15" tires.
Ram 2500 FR Surveyor 251rks
26' off shore troller.
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:16 PM   #10

My 2018 Coachmen Apex 249 also has Azdel panels.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #11
Canadian Member

I didn’t realize that Rockwood started using Azdel in their MiniLites and Roo hybrids this year. Strange that they haven’t advertised it other than inconspicuously on those pages on their website. I hope they’ll start using it in their larger units (Ultra Lites and Signature models) soon. To me, that’s more valuable than the new features that you can buy in the aftermarket like the TPMS.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #12

Yes, surprised it's not being marketed better. Went to take a quick look today at the dealer while they were closed. I wanted to confirm wheel size and sticker for Azdel. No sticker visible on the body, have been told it's on the inside door jamb. Disappointed in the 14" wheels. Being I plan to tow hundreds of miles at a time, 15's are a must have. Guess I'll try to use that as a bargaining tool. Five wheels and tires will be easily in excess of $1k. I have no problem walking away and going another route.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #13

They have no need to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I didnít realize that Rockwood started using Azdel in their MiniLites and Roo hybrids this year. Strange that they havenít advertised it other than inconspicuously on those pages on their website. I hope theyíll start using it in their larger units (Ultra Lites and Signature models) soon. To me, thatís more valuable than the new features that you can buy in the aftermarket like the TPMS.
They have no need to advertise. They are selling them as fast as they can build them. The cutover to Azdel might even be due to a shortage of aluminum siding.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #14

Brookstone has Azdel siding
Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #15

I don't have the coin for the proper tow vehicle, let alone a 5th wheel. They're pretty to marvel at. I would think in the near future an Azdel type backing would become standard.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, surprised it's not being marketed better. Went to take a quick look today at the dealer while they were closed. I wanted to confirm wheel size and sticker for Azdel. No sticker visible on the body, have been told it's on the inside door jamb. Disappointed in the 14" wheels. Being I plan to tow hundreds of miles at a time, 15's are a must have. Guess I'll try to use that as a bargaining tool. Five wheels and tires will be easily in excess of $1k. I have no problem walking away and going another route.
The sport tire and wheel package has 15Ē wheels and a lift kit (~3Ē all together) BUT the tires are not Goodyearís.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #17

Went and got to look at the 21FBRS. They had a new one inside. It had the black front cap, 14" wheels. Nice looking, better quality appearance than many I've seen. It's running a close second to the Micro Minnie I'm considering. First, tires would have to be upgraded if not wheels also. Not a fan of 30 gal. propane tanks, prefer 3 20's. Other than that I must say a very nice/built looking rig. Price was appealing but probably have to come down a bit to justify me changing tires or wheels also. I could really recommend this rig.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I just looked at Forest Rivers' site and they do list Azdel Composite Panels under 'Features' on both the Rockwood and Flagstaff.

https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/t...wood-mini-lite

https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/t...aff-micro-lite
Our 2020 Surveyor Luxury has AZDEL panels. I did find out something interesting. To me anyway

AZDEL manufacturer ships the panels to Forest River as bare panels. Forest River glues/fastens or whatever process they use to complete the wall with fiberglass or whatever. The point is that the "AZDEL" warranty does not apply to the entire finished wall. Only to their distinct piece. Kind of misleading, at least to me.

Enjoy!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #19

I don’t find it misleading as the Azdel manufacturer can’t be held liable for what Forest River does with their product. Now if Forest River knowingly uses it in a way not approved by the Azdel manufacturer (not that they would) then Forest River could be held liable. Azdel is (IMHO) light years ahead of luan.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #20

Great marketing scheme considering all the delam stories out there.
But I yet to hear of any relating to the Azdel. So,,,crossing my fingers.