Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
The tongue weight should be as little as 10% of the trailer GVWR (for handling, that's on the light side), or as much as 15%. When considering the payload capacity of your FX4, I believe that's an empty truck sans driver or gas.
Payload Capacity rating is only sans Fuel. Driver is considered as one of the Occupants.
Towing Capacity rating is sans Fuel and generally a 150lb driver.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Payload Capacity rating is only sans Fuel. Driver is considered as one of the Occupants.
Towing Capacity rating is sans Fuel and generally a 150lb driver.
Thanks for clarification about the driver and fuel.

For someone new to towing, the language regarding what's included or excluded in payload or towing capacity may be misinterpreted. By use of the term "sans" we mean that the specified items don't have to be considered because the manufacturer already did. E.g., when determining available payload, it assumes your tank is full but the truck is otherwise empty, including there being no passengers, and it's as shipped from the factory. Anything added as aftermarket item should be subtracted from the door sticker payload capacity.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Thanks for clarification about the driver and fuel.

For someone new to towing, the language regarding what's included or excluded in payload or towing capacity may be misinterpreted. By use of the term "sans" we mean that the specified items don't have to be considered because the manufacturer already did. E.g., when determining available payload, it assumes your tank is full but the truck is otherwise empty, including there being no passengers, and it's as shipped from the factory. Anything added as aftermarket item should be subtracted from the door sticker payload capacity.
Good explanation. Fuel is a known weight, which is why manufacturers include it in the capacity numbers.
They did the same thing with dry tongue weight numbers, by including full propane tanks in the number, when previously it was just empty tanks. This change occurred around 2009 or 2010.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #24

Statements about payload and what is included was sort of crazy.

In the past the truck bed, tailgate, spare tire etc. Were considered options and not included. There is no standard for the industry.

Best way to figure yours out is load the truck for travel with kids and dog and visit a cat scale. Include the fancy hitch in the bed. It will weigh #100. You will need a load distributing anti sway one. tell the girl your name. Drive around and pay them the $14 and they will give you a printout.

Trailers are iffy also. You should assume 12% of the gross weight on the tongue plus the hitch.

Frankly a 33’ trailer is pushing the envelope usually. Again the cat scale will tell you. If you only travel short distances in good weather infrequently. Well, I have.

You need the TV and trailer level.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
... Best way to figure yours out is load the truck for travel with kids and dog and visit a cat scale. ...
I agree that a CAT scale is the best information source, which is why I recommended it. I also recommend using Weigh My Truck, the phone app published by CAT. You never have to leave your vehicle and it keeps a history on your phone.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #26

Picked it up yesterday, it was very windy but handled great all the way home
Waffen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #27

Congratulations on your new camper. Check the door and see what your actual cargo carrying capacity is. My camper was actual 500lbs less than advertised. I didn’t realize it until after I took it home. The F-150 with max towing package is more than enough truck to handle that camper. If you go to ford truck forum and put he vin in the decoder at the top of the page, it will give you the build specs with the last page have towing capacity. 1st number is without a weight distribution hitch (WDH) and the second number is with it. It will also give the max tongue weight. Payload on comes into play if you are hauling stuff in the bed of the truck and passengers. CAT scale is the best way to ensure proper loading with all your gear and passengers. I am a 1500lbs I under my max tow, but at hitch weight and 500lbs under my max combined weight. The 3.5l eco boost out performs my 5.3 in my GMC truck and my old suburban by miles. It pulls my 7600 lb 34 1/2 ft trailer up the Allegheny mountains like nothing at 2800rpms. Good luck and enjoy.
DExpy17 is offline   Reply With Quote