Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #1

Flat tire on trailer

My wife and I took our 25fks out for the 1st trip of the year. I had checked the tires before we left and they were OK.
When we got back home 1 tire was low. I've since found a nail head in the center of the tread.
Are these tires OK to have them plugged, or do I need a new tire?
Old Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

DO NOT PLUG.

Have the tire removed by a tire place you trust and see if it can be patched and if not you'll need a new tire.

Plugs have their place for temporary repairs but not in this case.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #3

"Quote from Web" Lots of professional info.

Can you drive long distance with a patched tire?
Don't worry, you can drive a long distance on a patched tire. A flat tire can be a pain but thankfully a repair can oftentimes be quickly done, inexpensive and permanent. ... You will be able to drive the repaired tire the same distance as if the tire had not been damaged in the first place.

Plugged ( Not Pacthed I ment to say (edit) tires some say can last years. Me on a heavy trailer (horse) or camper I would go new tire for saftey in the long run.
2017 4Wheel Camper Hawk
Trail West 2 Horse Trailer
San Diego Area
Inciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

I've plugged 3 different punctures in a high performance Corvette tire. The tire mfr (in my case Michelin) determined how many plugs (in my case 3!) are the limit before it requires replacement. I think they plugged and patched at tire shop. For every plug, they said you have to deduct one speed rating level. My original speed rating was 'Y' or 186 mph. 3 levels down from that is 'H' or 130 mph. I didn't track it after it was plugged.

I have no idea if that applies to trailer tires, which are much more important for load bearing than speed. My trailer tires are only rated for up to 75mph, so if a plug reduces speed even more, I would probably replace the tire.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

on radial tires large objects " like a 3/8 lage bolt" can tear the steel cords in the layers of the tire . been there before. this was a Michelin xts 20 inch radial on my f- 250. kept leaking down very slowly. patched lag bolt hole with a semi, truck patch. patched a coulpe of small places inside of tire. kept going to low a tire pressure warning . shop checked it again , leaks coming from inside of tire. ended up there were 13+ tiny leakes inside of tire. cords separated through the tire from the lag bolt. dealer cut me a deal at cost on a new tire . small nails "ok" large objects "no" . just buy new tires. i use E-custom hitch in florida for tires. free ship, no tax, got them in 4 days.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #6

despite the quote I would only use a plug for a short term fix. removal and patching is the preferred repair and only for nail size holes. Larger holes weaken the cord structure.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #7

Age of the tire is a factor too. If they're ST & 3 years or older, I'd replace them all while I was at it.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #8

If it was a small nail a plug should be fine if done correctly. If it was the size of bolt I would replace.
PHILPOTTLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #9

BTW I use this Kit and carry one in all cars Jeeps and Trailers I patch My tractor more than anything, and Jeep. Never needed for a car or truck yet.

A portable Air compressor with 5cfm you can get fairly cheap now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-07 113028.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	253840
2017 4Wheel Camper Hawk
Trail West 2 Horse Trailer
San Diego Area
Inciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #10

Plug to get off the hill. Patch or replace as soon as possible, whether or not I'm at my home shop. Keep it as a spare only after patching (not plugging) has worked for me.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #11
Tundra 2014

Tire

Have tire shop patch if possible then rotate to spare if spare is equal condition.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #12

It is against the law here in my province-Canada to plug a tire and put on a vehicle
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
It is against the law here in my province-Canada to plug a tire and put on a vehicle

But, can you plug it and put it as a spare just not "right back" on the vehicle?

Oh, and can you even buy plugs in your province?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
At least dope is legal.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I've plugged 3 different punctures in a high performance Corvette tire. The tire mfr (in my case Michelin) determined how many plugs (in my case 3!) are the limit before it requires replacement. I think they plugged and patched at tire shop. For every plug, they said you have to deduct one speed rating level. My original speed rating was 'Y' or 186 mph. 3 levels down from that is 'H' or 130 mph. I didn't track it after it was plugged.

I have no idea if that applies to trailer tires, which are much more important for load bearing than speed. My trailer tires are only rated for up to 75mph, so if a plug reduces speed even more, I would probably replace the tire.
If you’re limited to 130, you better stay off of I-78!
Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post

No major tire manufacturer recommends or endorses plugging a tire (plug inserted from the outside). As a matter of fact, they consider this an improper tire repair and state such in warranty papers.

As taken from Michelin's website:

If any MICHELIN® tire sustains a puncture, have the tire demounted and thoroughly inspected by a qualified tire professional for possible damage that may have occurred. A tread area puncture in any MICHELIN® passenger or light truck tire can be repaired if the puncture hole is not more than 1/4” in diameter, not more than one radial cable per casing ply is damaged, and the tire has not been damaged further by the puncturing object or by running underinflated. Tire punctures consistent with these guidelines can be repaired by following the US Tire Manufacturers Association’s recommended repair procedures.Repairs of all tires must be of the combined-plug-and-inside-patch type. Your MICHELIN tires (including Michelin PAX System™ tires) must be removed from the wheel for inspection prior to repair. Plug-type repairs made on a tire that remains mounted on a wheel are improper and can result in an accident. A tire should be removed from the rim and inspected prior to repair. Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper and can result in an accident. An improperly repaired tire may cause further damage to the tire by either leaking air or allowing air, moisture, and contaminants to enter the structure of the tire. An improperly repaired tire can fail suddenly at a later date and result in an accident. Never repair a tire with less than 2/32nds of an inch of tread remaining. At this tread depth, the tire is worn out and must be replaced.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED This warranty does not cover tires damaged due to misuse, abuse or accident such as
:– Road hazards (e.g., cuts, snags, bruises, impact damage or punctures);
– Incorrect mounting of the tire, tire/wheel imbalance or improper repair;
Misapplication, improper maintenance, racing, underinflation, overinflation or other abuse;

The best thing about the internet is that you can claim credit for things you had no part in. It’s one of the reasons I invented it
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #17
Site Team

As far as speed ratings (which usually pertains to the higher speed tires), it can vary by manufacturer as to what they recommend after a tire is "properly" repaired as it's not a blanket statement across all brands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-05-08 Flat Tire Repairs' Effect on Speed Rating.png
Views:	62
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	253965  

The best thing about the internet is that you can claim credit for things you had no part in. It’s one of the reasons I invented it
Old 05-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #18
Site Team

One last comment, I started a thread on tire plugging earlier this year:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...er-226815.html

Old 05-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #19
Tundra 2014

Plugs

I have used plugs on off-road equipment, never on a high speed trailer tire where blow out could do several thousand $s damage.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
No major tire manufacturer recommends or endorses plugging a tire (plug inserted from the outside). As a matter of fact, they consider this an improper tire repair and state such in warranty papers.

As taken from Michelin's website:

If any MICHELIN® tire sustains a puncture, have the tire demounted and thoroughly inspected by a qualified tire professional for possible damage that may have occurred. A tread area puncture in any MICHELIN® passenger or light truck tire can be repaired if the puncture hole is not more than 1/4” in diameter, not more than one radial cable per casing ply is damaged, and the tire has not been damaged further by the puncturing object or by running underinflated. Tire punctures consistent with these guidelines can be repaired by following the US Tire Manufacturers Association’s recommended repair procedures.Repairs of all tires must be of the combined-plug-and-inside-patch type. Your MICHELIN tires (including Michelin PAX System™ tires) must be removed from the wheel for inspection prior to repair. Plug-type repairs made on a tire that remains mounted on a wheel are improper and can result in an accident. A tire should be removed from the rim and inspected prior to repair. Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper and can result in an accident. An improperly repaired tire may cause further damage to the tire by either leaking air or allowing air, moisture, and contaminants to enter the structure of the tire. An improperly repaired tire can fail suddenly at a later date and result in an accident. Never repair a tire with less than 2/32nds of an inch of tread remaining. At this tread depth, the tire is worn out and must be replaced.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED This warranty does not cover tires damaged due to misuse, abuse or accident such as
:– Road hazards (e.g., cuts, snags, bruises, impact damage or punctures);
– Incorrect mounting of the tire, tire/wheel imbalance or improper repair;
Misapplication, improper maintenance, racing, underinflation, overinflation or other abuse;

Quote:
Tire punctures consistent with these guidelines can be repaired by following the US Tire Manufacturers Association’s recommended repair procedures.Repairs of all tires must be of the combined-plug-and-inside-patch type.
Yes, this is what I had done. The plug and patch.

Tags
tire, trailer