Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #1

Smile Forest River OR Grand Design Fifth Wheel...??

Hello, and thanks for the add!

We are not new to camping but have always had a bumper pull trailer- A 2004 Nash 26Z for the last 10-15 years. We are looking to get a fifth wheel since the kids are all getting growed and ready to leave the nest.

Which forum should I post on to get some reviews on the two trailers we are looking at? I want to know about their overall reviews, how they do in all seasons, likes/dislikes... We have been VERY spoiled with our Nash. I hate to get rid of it but it's time for us to move on.

We are looking at:
2014 grand design reflection 303rls
2013 Forest River Wildcat 32RL Sterling Edition

The Forest River is from a guy, original owner, who only used it twice- he hauled it from WA to MO twice for family reunions and was full hook up use.

The Grand Design was bought by a guy from a dealership and only used it basically as a bedroom while he was at work.

Lmk where I should post for best results, and I'm sure I have left plenty of questions unanswered.

We will be pulling with out 1 ton dodge so either trailer is a good option for the pickup we have.

Thanks!!!

Alison
BlessedFarmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Id post your FR questions on this forum then post your questions for Grand design on there forum. FR has a sub thread for Wilcat post your questions there for FR. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #3

Ive heard good things about the Grand Designs as well as the Forest Rivers. I think the Grand Design has a little more high end reputation. If it were me and a toss up, I’d lean towards the one that had the best layout for my needs and fit best weight wise within my tow vehicle ratings.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #4

If I were in your position, I wouldn't make my choice based on other's opinions of the layout and I wouldn't assume everything is perfect due to low usage. Since you're already very familiar with campers, I would perform a sort of PDI, top to bottom. Are both roofs prestine? After that many years, one may be significantly better than the other. Any signs of neglect? Does everything work in each camper? Any hacks instead of proper fixes, etc?

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #5

Honestly, the pros and cons of each trailer leave them about equal for our use.

The FR has been used twice- water pump never used.

The GD has been used, shows some wear, but we know everything works.

I could argue for either floor plan.

Really, I'd like to know if in the long run there's a reason to go with one brand over the other. My research leans towards the GD as the better trailer in the long run. But again, the FR has only been used twice so I do have some concern about all the systems working like they should.
BlessedFarmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #6

As a current Forrest River owner!

My next will not be Forrest River.
Most likely will be grand designs

Pm me if you want reasons.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedFarmgirl View Post
Honestly, the pros and cons of each trailer leave them about equal for our use.

The FR has been used twice- water pump never used.

The GD has been used, shows some wear, but we know everything works.

I could argue for either floor plan.

Really, I'd like to know if in the long run there's a reason to go with one brand over the other. My research leans towards the GD as the better trailer in the long run. But again, the FR has only been used twice so I do have some concern about all the systems working like they should.
Just depends on the unit.

Spend some time on the Grand Design forum and there are as many bad ones as you'll see here.

My brother and SIL currently have a GD 5th wheel so we are around it a lot. They've had the same trim/adjustment issues we've had. Neither of us have had major issues.

There's simply no way I'd make a decision about either based on someone else's experience with a totally different unit. One unit on the assembly line can have issues while the next three may not.

Folks that have issues believe everyone else with that model or brand have issues too and that's simply not true.

Only you can put hands on them and make an educated decision. We would only be guessing or again, you'd be reading posts from those making a biased decision on something that went wrong on a completely different R/V.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Wildcat is a Forest River product. Grand Design is owned by Winnebago Ind.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:

We are not new to camping but have always had a bumper pull trailer- A 2004 Nash 26Z for the last 10-15 years. We are looking to get a fifth wheel since the kids are all getting growed and ready to leave the nest.

Which forum should I post on to get some reviews on the two trailers we are looking at? I want to know about their overall reviews, how they do in all seasons, likes/dislikes... We have been VERY spoiled with our Nash. I hate to get rid of it but it's time for us to move on.

We are looking at:

The Forest River is from a guy, original owner, who only used it twice- he hauled it from WA to MO twice for family reunions and was full hook up use.

The Grand Design was bought by a guy from a dealership and only used it basically as a bedroom while he was at work.

Lmk where I should post for best results, and I'm sure I have left plenty of questions unanswered.

We will be pulling with out 1 ton dodge so either trailer is a good option for the pickup we have.

Thanks!!!

Alison

We have the very FR Wildcat Sterling 32RL that you are looking at. In a word we LOVE it.

The only fault is the Gen 1 Girard Tankless Water Heater. It can be VERY finicky. We recently changed it out for a Furrion Tankless WH and LOVE it. Endless showers at a temp that never changes. Total cost about $700 with my free labor to me.

Grand Design makes a good camper but I cannot speak to any specifics because I have never owned one.

Were I you , my decision would have more to do with the floor plan and livability in how you camp.

Good Luck and let us know what you choose with plenty of pics!!
Old 09-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #10

What year is your Truck? How tall is bed rails?
joespring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:14 PM   #11

Couple of months back we were considering a 2012 Wildcat Maxx 282RK or a 2014 GD Reflection. Both trailers were just under 32'.
The Wildcat was an original one owner that had only been used 5 times then the husband passed away. Sat on a covered slab beside the house and served a couple of times as a bedroom for grown son & wife. Pretty much immaculate. Roof ladder, folding rack and tow hitch.
The GD not so much. It had been waxed with floor wax that needed to be removed. Also had a shower sky light leak that encompassed almost all the bathroom wall at the ceiling.
I liked GD and the repairs could have been negotiated and repaired.

Biggest influence in the choice was the tank capacities and the payload. The Wildwood had the ability to hold more fresh water (63gal), double gray water tanks (60-40gal) and a 50 gal. black tank. Payload is just under 5000#.
The choice was easy.
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #12

Always remember.... HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE.....
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:44 PM   #13

We are on our second FR Cardinal. Our first FW was trouble, trouble and more trouble. Our two year old Cardinal has had fewer problems, but the ones it has are not fixable and FR says pound sand.

We came close to a GD and regret we did not switch.

Things to know:

GD costs more new.

GD is still managed by the original owners, but Winni will make economic changes sometime.

I love the Cardinal RV club.

Our Cardinal fresh water tank cannot be used for travel. I have had to repair cabinet fixtures and the stair hand rail.

After sale service by GD is 100% better than FR.

GD has mobile service. They have helped me with my Cardinal on the road!
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #14

Take your partner to each trailer. Spend an hour or two just sitting and talking. Which trailer felt more comfortable? If one felt better then the other that would be the trailer I would purchase.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #15

We looked at a Solitude but crossed them off list when we found standard 7k axles not 8k on the big unit we wanted and also their “quiet” air is not really quiet compared to our current rig and others with fully ducted true quiet air - there really is a difference when you have true quiet AC - if the unit has an air distribution box visible inside we found those are not very quiet at all compared to our Crisader
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #16

Quote:

We are looking at:

Thanks!!!

Alison

Go with the Grand Design.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:25 PM   #17

Forest River or Grand Design

Grand Design!! Wish I had, much better suspension system, heavier duty.
woolfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #18
Snappy-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
As a current Forrest River owner!

My next will not be Forrest River.
Most likely will be grand designs

Pm me if you want reasons.
Grand Design ! Hands down
snappy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #19

My previous 5th wheel was a Forest River product. It wasn’t terrible but one was enough. I researched Grand Design products extensively (especially Reflection 5th wheels) including visiting with friends who own one. Ended up buying neither. Instead I bought a 2021 Durango, built by KZ, about a year ago. So far it’s been good. We’ve had it over a year, spent about 70 days in it, and haven’t been back to the dealer once. KZ is owned by Thor, which raised some red flags, but has a pretty good reputation and seems to build a pretty good product. We’ve been very pleased thus far. Good luck!
jfspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #20
Site Team

No one has even mentioned the CONDITION of these units.
They are 6 and 7 years old.
A LOT can happen in just one year.
How good are the roofs??
Are they well caulked and showing NO signs of leakage?
Water intrusion can ruin a trailer in a very short time.
Has either one of them been stored under a roof??
How about fading of exterior?
Have the water systems been properly winterized each season.
Do all the appliances work properly?
Do slides and awnings function properly?
Personally I don't care much what brand it is-- the big question is what is the
current condition.
My 6¢
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, forest river, grand design, reflection, sterling edition, wildcat