Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #1

Forgo 12v right from start and go with 2 6v's?

We are (planning on) buying our sv 264 this weekend yay!! The dealer has standard "convenience package" which they charge almost $400 for- which I thought was cheesy at first. However, he says they make like $50 on it and it has most of what we need to get started camping. It includes a12V battery as part of the package. However as I am researching before we purchase it looks like what we want is two 6V golf cart batteries in succesion rather than one 12v. We want the option to dry camp and don't wat to be stranded. I don't want to spend the $100 or so on the dealer's 12 V when I will need to go out an purchase 2 more 6v $100 batteries! Thoughts?? Sage Advice? What do we need besides 2 6v's to set that up?

Thoughts on a convenience packge?? Should we just make our own list (of course with this forum's help- thank you in advance) and put together our own personal package? I should also mention,for us, $$$ is definately a factor! Thank you.
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #2

I don't know what all the convenience package includes for $400 but if you plan to dry camp then 6V are the best way to go. However good 6V batteries (I recommend Trojan T125) are more expensive usually running around $130 per battery. The more of them you can fit the better. There isn't really anything needed other than an extra cable to tie the two together to get 12volts. The issues most have with them especially on the trailers is there isn't a lot of room provided for batteries.

Do some google searches for "boondocking" or "dry camping" there are some really good sites out there I have found in the past by people who do a lot of it and have a lot of great tips from solar recharging, inverters, batteries, water use and management, etc.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have never heard of a dealer charging for a battery. I thought that was always included in with the purchase, along the the propane tanks being full. Maybe my dealer does things different from others.

What else is included with the "convenience package" ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #4

The convenience package is two full propane tanks, 12v battery, sewer hose, water hose, water regulator?, toilet paper, tank deodorizer, electric plug coverter thingy(?)... I am not sure what else. He said everyone gets it when I told him we were leaning towards not getting it. However we are buying a 2009 bank repo-so, it is technically used....but not really. But that does mean the propane tanks may already be full (I have no idea how much propane costs)...
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

I would not get that convenience package for 400 dollars. Just my opinion .... Convertor thingy is aroun 8 bucks, sewer hose 45 bucks, deodorizer 9 bucks, toilet paper 2.33, water pressure regulator 8 bucks, battery you do not want the 12V anyways, water hose 20 bucks. Probably includes a dinky choke for 5 bucks too. You can get better quality and the stuff you want for 400 dollars.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #6

RIPOFF ALERT, RIPOFF ALERT. Batteries should be included with the RV not charged extra. DON'T DO IT....
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #7

Our dealer threw in all that stuff for free, as well as an extra 12v battery. I believe a 6v will give you slightly more battery life dry camping, but not sure of how the initial costs compare. I agree with Goomph that it seems like a lot of money for the package, for what you get. I and too thought the trailers come with 1 battery and either a pair of 20 or 30lb tanks full at no charge?

Btw, congrats on your new purchase, I know how exciting this must be for you

Best Wishes,
Chuck
flumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
The Old Man

Except for the battery and propane, those items all came standard in a box from FR with my 2010 Flagstaff. I've also ALWAYS received a new battery and full tanks with every RV I've owned (on #4 now). OK, sure, the price of all that stuff I got (most of which I didn't need since I had all that stuff already) was built into the cost somewhere, but this sounds pretty unethical.

You can buy much better stuff--like high-quality sewer hoses--for $400 and likely have a enough left over to buy good batteries. So if you have a choice and think you want to dry camp then skip the 12v battery and get the two 6v now.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
RIP-OFF For sure!

Even for a new unit is a rip-off. Wal-mart has every thing you need. RHINO FLEX sewer hose is the best with all the fittings for $29.46 (Just bought one today). Wally world has T paper, ele adapters for hook up. Tank deodorizer and cleaner/lubricant. Wally has the batteries also, no matter where you are with the batteries if you have a problem, Wal-Mart is close by.
They may not have the golf cart batteries but the do have some good heavy duty MARINE batts
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #10

I bought my 2011 SV-291 in July it came with two full 30 Lbs propane cylinders and a battery which I immediately sold to a friend and put in my group 27. Your dealer is taking advantage of you.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #11

My dealer changed my two 20 lb propane tanks for 2 30lb at no charge. He also included the water hose and sewer hose plus a new deep cycle battery. Before I left the dealership he handed me the electrcal adapter. This is for a used trailer. Propane tanks come with the trailer. If the dealerhip is charging you for the items they are ripping you off. We have several dealerships in the area which try to nickel and dime you when purchasing a unit. I stay away from them. I find the a small independent dealership gives better service then the larger dealers.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I find the a small independent dealership gives better service then the larger dealers.
Very true in my experience.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #13

When I bought my new trailer, the dealer included all you listed above for no charge. Propane, hoses, battery, TP, water pressure reg, adapter plug, cord, etc.

Well, we most likely paid for it in the price somewhere. But they didn't make it an "Add on" after we negotiated a price.....
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #14

I agree that the stuff should be included in the purchase price. Have you signed on the dotted line yet? Take the time to talk to other dealers to find out what the true out the door price is going to be.

Our dealer "included" a sewer hose and a water hose both were the absolute cheapest out there. The water hose smelled and left water with an awful plastic taste and smell. The sewer hose was in a word fragile. Both were replaced withini a week at Wal-mart for a small amount. I have never used the toilet chemicals they are smelly. I am successfully using a capful of Calgon (another Wal-mart item. RV toilet paper is also available at Walmart for 1/2 the price posted in the dealer's store.

I would expect the propane tanks to be full and batteries to come with the unit. Remember that a propane tank is only filled to 80% to allow for expansion. Call around and find out what propane is going for in your area (call a propane dealer! and tell them the size of your tanks).

My suspicion is that you are going to get bottom of the line products.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #15

My CC came with 4 6 v batteries and two full 30 lb propane tanks. The dealer included a convenience package, for no charge, with a sewer hose, white, hose, wax etc etc. My last two trailers (used ones) came with full tanks and working batteries plus I got a similar convenience package thrown in with each of them.
Definitely your dealer seems to be pulling a rip off.
2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
https://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
Infractee

I would take that $400 and buy your items at wally world and then go buy an APU (generator) with the rest and charge your own 12v batt plus run some other items as well.

I love my 2000 watt jenny, runs everything but the a/c in my popup and charges the batt. Quiet as can be and will run all day long on 2 gals gas
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #17
Wanna Be Camper

As everyone has said, all that should have been with the unit. You never got back to us with what you did though. I ran a pair of T125 Trojans and they were awesome, Too bad there is no room for them on our V-Lite so I sold them for 100 bux for the pair with cases 1 year old as no one around here seems to know what they are.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 Volt