Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
GGB

Freedom Express 246RKS vs Surveyor 264RKLE

We are currently in the market for a new trailer and are looking at couples models and have narrowed it down to between the 2018/19 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS and the 2018/19 Forest River Surveyor 264RKLE.

Currently we have a 2014 Prime Time Tracer 240 (bought in 2013) that we really enjoyed but our daughter is going off to university overseas so won't be camping with us as much so DW and I figured get a couples model.

I would love feedback on either unit, likes & dislikes, problems or lack of. Also feedback on the regular dual axle set up (Surveyor) and the spread axle set up (Coachmen).

Thanks in advance for everyones assistance.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #2

I have a 2014 FE 246RKS. I love all the storage and am starting my 4th season in the trailer. I can't speak to the Surveyor quality but the 264RKLE seems to have a little more kitchen counter space but is essentially the same floorplan as the Coachmen. I really fell in love with this floorplan because of all the wardrobe space. I don't understand why these manufacturers don't design these RV's with wardrobe space. Even weekend campers need a place for clothes! I understand the small kitchens with no counter space because lots of people do all their cooking outside.

The Coachmen has the Azdel walls which adds a little R-value to the insulation and doesn't wick water if you develop a leak. It is in between the inner and outer wall. The furniture in the Surveyor looks more comfy than mine but mine is holding up pretty well for the use it gets. I'm only able to get away for 15-20 days a season so mine doesn't get a lot of use.

In my trailer, the tv is directly above the dinette which makes it difficult to see the screen while sitting at the table. I actually had to replace it with a different tv that was LED instead of LCD so I could see it. I am a glamper instead of a camper, so the TV was important to me. It may not be important to you but I believe the new ones have the tv on the wall.

I have had trailers with both the standard axle set up and I now have the spread axle. I don't see much difference in the two towing-wise, but it is a teeny, tiny bit more stable when I'm parked. And I do mean teeny, tiny. I still need to have the stabilizers down. I added x-chocks which helps a little more.

I have had a few issues with mine. Most notably, my recent experience with stress fractures in the frame. Not really a Forest River issue but a Lippert issue. Lippert stepped up and fixed it at no cost to me and Forest River helped move the repair along quickly which I really appreciated. The other issues I fixed myself. The bed that came with mine was terrible so I just moved the full size mattress I had in my old trailer into this one when I traded it in.

I can get into the bathroom with the slide in but it takes effort. It looks like the Surveyor has two exterior doors so that wouldn't be an issue.

I really like the floorplan. I usually camp by myself with my small pup so I don't know how it would live with 2 people but it should be fine.

Good luck! I don't think you can go wrong with either one!

Laura
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
GGB

Thanks much for the reply and the feedback.

We decided on the 2018 FE 246RKS in the end and pick it up this Friday. My wife prefered the extra storage to the extra counter space as we do want to travel the south US during winter months. Like you we cook outside 99% of the time even if it is pouring rain or even very cold.

The finishes on the inside I would say are on par with the Surveyor the only place the Surevyor may have a long term advantage is that they have residential style hinges on all of the interior doors. The TV is now on the wall so it can be viewed from the sofa or dinette.

The second door on the Surveyor leads into the bedroom and not the bathroom so access is very similar when the slide is in. As it is a shallow slide it won't be a big deal to ease it out a bit to make access easier if needed.

We also got a way better deal on the Coachmen including our trade then we were offered on the Surveyor. It is too bad as we have been customers of the dealer that sells Surveyors for the last 15 years. The Coachmen dealer has been excellent so far and is higly recommended by a number of people we spoke to.

We discussed the frame cracking issue and they right away admitted that there was a few problems and they had 2 customers with the issue. They told us that Coachmen repaired both at no cost to the customers even though both were out of warranty. The owner stated that the thickness of the steel was a bit too thin on those and that Coachmen has changed their specs on thickness and that they haven't seen any carck related issues on the newer ones.

This is our second travel trailer and sixth trailer we have owned in North America since we left tent camping. We did own a caravan, a european term for a travel trailer when we lived there for 2 years.

Again thanks for the feedback will report back how it does on our big trip to Florida this August. In the mean time we are camping every weekend in July.

Tags
freedom, freedom express, surveyor