Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

Fridge fan mod

I just installed my fridge fan kit today, and was wondering how to attach the fans to the radiator fins, and make it a semi-permanent install, that will look good. The green wire connects to the orange wire, then clamp the alligator clip to the fins. Is this clip all that holds the fans in place? The instructions don't cover that. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #2

Yes, the alligator clip is all that holds it in place. I too was looking for a more permanent way set the fan up, but as yet, have not been able to find one. I hope that there is a better way to attach the fan because mine seems to come off a lot when travelling.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #3

Attaching fridge fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
I just installed my fridge fan kit today, and was wondering how to attach the fans to the radiator fins, and make it a semi-permanent install, that will look good. The green wire connects to the orange wire, then clamp the alligator clip to the fins. Is this clip all that holds the fans in place? The instructions don't cover that. Randy
I ordered one of these fans from ebay and it's still in route. Glad you asked the question of a more perminate way to attach the fan to the fridge fins.

I'll post a question to the seller and let everyone know what he says.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #4

I have one just came in. Haven't had time to try it out yet. Boy this forum sure is giving hem a lot of business. Hopefully he can come up with a mod to solve this issue.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #5

Which fan on ebay is this?
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

This is the fan everyone is referring to:

DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV 12 VOLT: eBay Motors (item 250677760674 end time Dec-02-10 14:37:30 PST)

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #7

Hello again, everyone. I have resolved my own question, I think. I used double stick tape (sticky on both sides) and cut it to the width of the fan housing. Then, I cut that width in half again lengthwise, and stuck it on the upper and lower flat area on the blue housing. Then, the green clip I just slipped in between the fins, to allow it to fit flat against the fins, and it still makes the ground just fine, it fits in between reasonably snug,so it didn't seem to require actually clipping to the fins. So far, it seems to be stuck pretty good, but I haven't run the fridge yet to let it get cold and frosty, like fridges generally do. Hopefully, that wetness won't cause it to release the tape's grip. Only time and use will tell! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #8

And the answer is...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
I ordered one of these fans from ebay and it's still in route. Glad you asked the question of a more perminate way to attach the fan to the fridge fins.

I'll post a question to the seller and let everyone know what he says.
Here is was I was sent by the seller of the fans on ebay:

Hi, Mr. Boyd.

I only ever use the alligator clip. I have only had the fan dislodge from the fins 1 time. We were on some very bumpy back roads. The one time is all it has ever happened to me in 5+ years. The alligator clip will have a piece of clear plastic tubing on the top jaw of the clip. Be sure you leave that in place. The tubing gives the clip the grip it needs to stay where you put it. If you remove the tubing, it will be metal against metal which WILL cause the fan to slide off.

However, if you feel like it needs to be a little more secure, I would think you could use some double stick foam tape at the bottom edge.

The clip attaching the fan to the aluminum fin is your ground connection, so you do not want to do anything to interrupt that connection.

Hope that helps.

Richard

- rflkt1

Tags
fan