Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #1

Front door hinge broke

I have a 2019 Rockwood ROO and we found out this weekend camping the bottom hinge for the main door was cracked. I call the dealer where we purchased it from and they said that I have to purchase a new door at a cost of over $500 plus install. I called another dealer and have not heard anything back yet. I just can't imagine a 2 year old camper, I purchased it at the beginning of 2018, I need to purchase a new door is crazy. We don't excessively slam the door or anything. Has anyone come upon this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_172632.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	233657  
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Looks like that's a Lippert friction hinges system.
My TracerAir TT has this system and the lower screen door hinge broke off while we were on a 2 month trip. There was no way to fix it and had to wait until we got back. Luckily I had sent pics to the dealer that were date stamped because the factory warranty expired before we got home.
When we took it it, discovered the same thing, that the whole door and frame had to be replaced. The hinges couldn't be removed and replaced.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #3

Update

An update on this. Just to see about warranty even though we are 2 years in the camper I contacted Forest River and just as I thought not under warranty. They transferred me over to customer service and it too weeks for them to get back with me. With some pictures and a phone call it was determined like Dan said the entire frame needs to be replaced at a cost of $260 plus taxes and freight. If it was the middle hinge not the friction hinge it would have been a easy fix. I contacted a local repair shop to see if welding it would be a option and because of the doors tight fit he thinks welding it would possible bind something else and not last as long. Before taking the hit on the new frame I am going to get some engineering into this and see if I can make something else work. Either way nothing will be done by next weeks trip so the door will be open most of the time. What a poor design.
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Old 03-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #4

Did you ever figure out a solution to the broken hinge? I have the exact same issue. I would really like to know what solution you came up with.
mdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:29 PM   #5

I called the dealer and all they can do is replace the whole door, the parts are not sold separately. What I did was see what would align in the bottom to make like a small hinge pin. I found a heavy galvanized landscaping pin. I shoved it in so the hinges would align and bent then end around and inserted it into one of the holes on the stairs so it wouldn't fall out. All it is doing is holding the door hinges together all the movement is on the rest of the hinges for support. The part that broke was the part that kept the friction to the door.
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Old 03-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

Thanks.....Have you considered buying the Lippert 6 leaf replacement hinge? I may try it and see if I can retrofit. Not sure I am ready yet but if I do it I will post back.
mdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:27 PM   #7

Same Problem with my Roo Friction Hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin-1 View Post
I have a 2019 Rockwood ROO and we found out this weekend camping the bottom hinge for the main door was cracked. I call the dealer where we purchased it from and they said that I have to purchase a new door at a cost of over $500 plus install. I called another dealer and have not heard anything back yet. I just can't imagine a 2 year old camper, I purchased it at the beginning of 2018, I need to purchase a new door is crazy. We don't excessively slam the door or anything. Has anyone come upon this before?
I have the exact same model too (233S), but a 2018. My bottom hinge also broke, but I think the cause was some repair place doing other work on my trailer. I'm convinced that they opened the door farther than it should have been and snapped it because it wasn't broken before it went in. Anyway, did you find out if you can just grind off the rivets and install the Lippert 5-leaf version just the same or what was the solution? Also, and I could be reaching here, but could this be a defect in the product now that there's several of us complaining of the exact same issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Friction Hinge.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	252012  
MagiCarty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door