Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

Front Travel Trailer A-Frame.

Has anyone else noticed if both frame rails on the front a-frame sit even on both sides? Mine is about 3 degrees or 1/4" lower on the driver (street side). There are no indications of broken welds or bends in the a-frame or where it attaches to the front crossmember section. Is this acceptable?
2013 Toyota Tundra DC Limited- 4x4, 5.7L, Factory Tow Package, Factory Deck Rail System, Factory Cargo Divider, Trac-Rac G2 Sliding Rack System, Bak Revolver X Rolling Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Grand Aero Towing Mirrors, Andersen "No Sway" WDH.

2018 Sonoma 240 BHS: Fourth TT And Worst Quality So Far.
Campforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #2

I've tried to get answers by using the search function but no luck. Lippert "LCI" is going to look at it, however, some feedback here would be nice.

Bottom line: Does a front a-frame need to be perfectly straight on both sides for a travel trailer to handle properly? If not, is 1/4" tolerance acceptable?
2013 Toyota Tundra DC Limited- 4x4, 5.7L, Factory Tow Package, Factory Deck Rail System, Factory Cargo Divider, Trac-Rac G2 Sliding Rack System, Bak Revolver X Rolling Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Grand Aero Towing Mirrors, Andersen "No Sway" WDH.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

Of it wasn't off by at least a1/4" I would have been surprised.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #4

Is it made of a channel profile that they overlapped where they converge?
pictures?
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Of it wasn't off by at least a1/4" I would have been surprised.
It sounds like it's within tolerances then.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Is it made of a channel profile that they overlapped where they converge?
pictures?
Let me see if I have some pictures, it's at Forest River now. I think the a-frame is an 8" boxed-in style.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #7

Here's a picture that shows part of the a-frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170818_100744_resized.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	182342  

Old 08-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #8

I doubt that the jigs that Lippert builds the frames in are anymore accurate than that. Personally I would not have even thought to check it. I have owned 5 campers and about 10 other trailers over the years.

If it pulls fine and it should, I would not worry about 1/4".

I also would not be surprised if you checked it somewhere else you may have different results. The frames can twist a small amount depending on how you are setting.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I doubt that the jigs that Lippert builds the frames in are anymore accurate than that. Personally I would not have even thought to check it. I have owned 5 campers and about 10 other trailers over the years.

If it pulls fine and it should, I would not worry about 1/4".

I also would not be surprised if you checked it somewhere else you may have different results. The frames can twist a small amount depending on how you are setting.

Thank you for your feedback. I've had so many problems with this trailer and the factory warranty is about to expire. So, I just wanted to be sure it is normal and within spec. This forum is very valuable.

Tags
a-frame, frame, trailer, travel, travel trailer