Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Taberry

fueling with a 5th wheel

Where is the best place to get diesel when towing a 40ft 5th wheel. We usually go to Pilot but this is our first 5th wheel and diesel truck. We just changed from a gas motorhome. Is it better to go with the trucks and do they have the ultra low sulfa fuel required in our Ford 350?
Taberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #2

By law all highway diesel is the same ! Myself I buy fuel away from the Interstates as many places in Florida it is forty to sixty cents cheaper .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

We stick to the Pilot/Flying J truck stops when we can. Our 5th wheel is only 35' and we use the RV lanes mostly. But you can always use the big rig lanes. You can even pay at the pump in the semi lanes if you have the RV PLUS credit card from Good Sam Club. And get a discount. At other truck stops you will have to go inside to pay if you use the semi lanes.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #4

Stop wherever you see you can fit, truck palaces are the easiest and fuel all burns the same.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
Always Learning

We do trucks stops for convenience as much as possible.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #6

If possible I fill up at the regular pumps because my 46' 5er has a generator gas tank fill at the axles. I can do both at the same time if the pumps are properly spaced. Usually this is not possible unless it is the middle of the night.

RV filling stations next just because they are there.

Big Rig spots last. The fuel is more expensive, diesel is on the ground and makes for a slippery scene when wet. Many of the truck stops I have stopped at have now converted their pumps and allow standard CC/Debit cards.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #7

After a few trips you'll begin to see what's most convenient. I use Flying J and Pilot when possible because of the convenient RV islands, but Flying J can be a bit more expensive than some other local stations. Some other truck stops don't accept non-commercial credit cards at the pump, so you have to hike to the inside fuel desk to leave your credit card as a deposit and then go back for it after fueling. There are other idiosyncrasies as well. As stated above, all on-road diesel is now ultra-low sulphur. But beware of the stations that also sell off-road diesel which you can't use for your rig.
Happy motoring! Enjoy your new fiver.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #8

I too use Flying J and Pilot because of the ease of getting in and out and the fuel discount when using the Fling J RV card. But I also agree woith th epost abourtchaper fuel off the interstate and try to fill up before heading out in the morning
Old 11-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I have Gasbuddy app on my phone and shop for best price and view the station on the map for ease of on/off the Interstates. Like others have said your going to pay more for the more convenient truck stop ones.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #10

We use Pilot\Flying J with the card to turn on the pumps in the large fuel islands. It's just more convenient for us that way.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #11

I think the "extra charge" isn't fair on fuel. I see a 3-4-5 cents for comcheck, c/c or free access to truck stop stuff charges, but the 30-50 cents higher is gouging. IMO No wonder trucking costs are expensive.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #12

two themes

There seems to be two themes, running here, in response to the OP's question.
Price and size issues.
Almost ALL stations will have an overhead high enough to clear your rig. Almost.
Turn around is always a question, so as you get more time with this combination you will find you can get into and/or judge places better all the time.
As for price, I use Gas Buddy. Since both of us have it on our phones, either can check for the driver, while still rolling. Sometimes I have to drive a mile or two extra, but when it is a 50 cent difference per gallon, it is way worth it.
One example is Casa Grande AZ (one of my regular stops on our trip back and forth between Texas and Oregon). On the Interstate it is way higher than to drive to the back side of downtown, and fill at the QT. Right now, Quick Trip and Fast Trip are 2.15 for diesel and Loves is 2.54! Pilot and Flying J are 2.55.
Worth the trip to fill the tank.
Gas Buddy.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #13

We use Flying J/Pilot with the RV Plus card. Just pay at the pump. Also the big rig lanes have the larger nozzles and the truck fills much faster. They have DEF available at the pump as well and it is much cheaper than buying it in the container off the shelf.

Tom
nineback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #14

I agree with hankpac about cheaper fuel with one exception. If we aren't hooked up to the 5ver we search for cheap fuel before we hook up and go. If we are pulling we almost always use truck stops for ease of use. QTs and the like usually are not made to handle RVs and it just isn't worth the risk and hassle for a few bucks.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
I have Gasbuddy app on my phone and shop for best price and view the station on the map for ease of on/off the Interstates. Like others have said your going to pay more for the more convenient truck stop ones.

X2. Also, since we "usually" only travel 4-5 hours (300 - 350 miles) at a time, we go in search of fuel after setting up or the next day if we're going to be in the area for a day or two. With my setup, that distance leaves me about 1/8-1/4 tank left. If I need fuel before getting to our destination, I'll use a larger station (truck stop) near the interstate. I've been burned too many times searching for a "cheaper" place (Gasbuddy) only to find that once there, I can't easily get in (or out). I once got into one (easy) only to find that I had to back out of the island because the islands were perpendicular and too close to the building to drive out.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #16

When in Texas, use Bucee's!! They usually have about 100 fueling stations. I've always had clearance for my 40' CC. And , they have THE CLEANEST BATHROOMS IN THE WORLD. Really. Won a competition and beat out some really ritzy places. Their fuel prices are usuyway below anybody else's.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #17

We Always use the Semi Lanes at the Truck stops.. They pump a lot more Diesel and I believe that it's a lot fresher than Gas Station Diesel.. My Wife put 300K on her VW Turbo Diesel and the truckers always laughed when she pulled in for her 10 Gallon's. My 2500 Ram just takes a bit more at Fillup.
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I think the "extra charge" isn't fair on fuel. I see a 3-4-5 cents for comcheck, c/c or free access to truck stop stuff charges, but the 30-50 cents higher is gouging. IMO No wonder trucking costs are expensive.
Well as I see it the truck stops have overhead just like the standard corner gas stations. Have you ever thought about the difference in cost of maintaining a corner gas station versus a truck stop that covers several acres or more? Not to mention 10+ truck lanes, car lanes, RV lanes, truck parking spots, CAT Scales, etc. How much did that land cost and the property tax must be huge. Now I agree 30 to 50 cents may be a bit much but there is no way they can charge the same as the corner gas station down the street charges and stay in business...

I love the truck lanes, the 20 gal/min fill rate, the Bulk DEF and the convenient parking when finished fueling to take a stretch or eat lunch. Try doing that at the corner station with a 37' rig plus TV. And all this convenience cost me $6 dollars more maybe. I'll pay it when on the highway... unhooked is another story..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #19

Truck stop, if the big boys can fit, so can you.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #20

I fill up before connecting. Then use the truck stops for fuel enroute. It is much easier than dealing with the crazies in the normal lanes...especially around holidays, when everyone seems to be in a huge hurry!

Yes, you will pay more, but to me it is worth not stressing.

You can use Allstays Truck and Travel to find truck stops even off the beaten path. I use it to plan my routes and put the locations into my GPS as waypoints. You can even use it to get an overhead view of the station, so you can plan how you will enter, park for a break, etc.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel