Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Trying to get a long weekend setup over the summer if DW and kids approve at GO to check it out & be a home base for visiting NASA and beaches.
Mostly retirees but when it's hot, kids & us may have the pool to ourselves!
Please let us know what you think after the visit. I sent the web link to my RV buddy and he is interested also. Oh yeah...and BTW...it's about 40m to Disney, Universal...all that Orlando has to offer. If you are there during the summer you will have it to yourself. If it's like most RV resorts in Fl. after April 1 the snow birds will be long gone.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
Been there done it.
Class a or c is nice but you must tow a car.
5th wheel is roomy but the big ones need a dually. Drive that every day,,it loves diesel fuel
We went down to a 25 footer with a 1/2 ton dodge pickup.
Pop ups are great if you want a divorce.
Get a pickup camper and be in jail for murder

6 actual and I could NOT stop laughing!!!

Nailed it!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #23

Our plans are to go full-time as soon as we sell our house. Busy right now re-modeling the guest bathroom, everything else pretty much been done. We have a new TT, and a new TV that's up to the task. Were both retired, and ready to see the country for how long who knows. We will be looking for a house with some property, and nice weather , and a very big shop.

Were going to store the stuff we won't let go in a climate controlled storage facility. It really won't be all that much.. The challenges will be my meds from the VA, Mail, and our outdoor cat. The 2 dogs love to travel, but the cat going to take some dong. He's a great cat and 11 years old. I couldn't part with him, so that the biggest issue.

Having living on ships for 17 years out of 20 in the U.S. Coast Guard was definitely harder than any RV trip. I'm ready , and the DW is totally onboard. Can't wait to sell this house.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #24

x 2 on the remodeling and selling. We were about 2 years out but now I don't think that we are that close anymore. We can't wait to go FT. When you figure out about the VA meds by mail post it on here. Lots of people could use that information.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #25
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
The other RV couple we typically travel with are looking at something like this Esperanza Homes » Move-In Ready Homes see phase 1 and 2 RV lots/carriage house listings

OOOOOOO! I LIKE this option! In TEXAS too! LOW taxes!

Left this page open and I'm gonna spring this idea on DH as soon as he gets home. This may very well be the exact answer to what we've been trying to figure out.

Sell the house here....it's paid for BTW....and head on over to "don't mess with TX" which is our neighboring state anyway.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #26
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
6 actual and I could NOT stop laughing!!!

Nailed it!!
Have any of you SEEN the newer pickup campers? They even have SLIDES in them now.

I started out looking at an ad I saw for pickup campers, then went from that one to another video I saw, then to another, then another.

Holy smokes Batman! They have awnings now too!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #27
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
x 2 on the remodeling and selling. We were about 2 years out but now I don't think that we are that close anymore. We can't wait to go FT. When you figure out about the VA meds by mail post it on here. Lots of people could use that information.
X3 on the remodeling. DH and I are beginning some updating/remodeling in preparation for selling our S&B. NO way do I want this area to be our home base when we retire. As I mentioned above, our S&B is paid for so whatever she goes for is OURS.

Open roads appeals to me, and we got back in to RVing with the idea of marking off a lot of bucket list items. If DH can foresee getting to play a different golf course every couple of weeks he'll be ON BOARD for sure!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #28
Incheon, S. Korea

Has anyone checked out the "Escapee's Forum"? It's a group designed solely for full-timers.

Escapee's Forum
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #29

I am longing to go full time and may get to some day. But I have quite a bit of Amish made, solid wood furniture. It is the kind you buy once and use the rest of your life and then hand down to your children. I bought it over the years and prices have gone up and up so I could not replace it for anywhere near what I paid for it. Since I know I will have a house again someday I would have to store the furniture, but I would ditch most of the rest.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #30

We sold our S&B this spring and are now full timers. It has some challenges and I do miss my garage. When something needs fixing I can't just grab the torch or use the Saw but I'm figuring it out as we go. Most parks have a ship and most will let you borrow a tool or help you out. We also got a puppy about the same time so house breaking is going in right now.
My wife and I have been married almost 40 years and we enjoy each other's company and really would rather hang out with each other than anyone so that's good.
All in all we love it. Not sure how long we will do it but so far so good.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #31

Smile Been planing for years, here we go!!

I have been retired for 14 years and my wife 10 years and for the past 7 years we go to AZ for the winters and have kept our home in MI. We've talked about full timing and have talked to many who do it. We decided to jump in and see how we like it.

Our house was on the market (sign in yard) for 3 days. 30 days from placing the sign out we closed and now have our requested 30 days to move. Our 5th wheel sets in the driveway ready to go as we replace some stuff with stuff from the house an getting ready for a mammoth moving sale this Fri and Sat.
We will move to an RV Resort close to Lansing for a couple months and head for AZ as we usually do but will not have to run home in the spring to catch up with the growing lawn and not have a pool to clean and weeds to pull and on and on..
Now to get used to being full timers ad enjoy what we've been missing.

I guess we'll use our Sons address to keep a MI address, and find out what to do with mail forwarding. That seems to be the one thing that we haven't yet got figured out. For vehicle tabs we will be in MI around family anyway so that's no problem.
This is going to be an experience.
Suggestions? let em rip.
Oh ya...We'll be homeless when we get to Goshen for the Rally this year. Hope to see you there.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #32

Sounds like what we just did. Congrats! We use Good Sam's for mail. It gives us a FL address but we are keeping our MI DL'a for now. Good luck and hope to meat you at Goshen. We should arrange a fulltimers coffee to compare notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 06-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #33
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

5th year for us. We also use our sons address. He separates the mail and uses overnight fed-x/UPS if necessary. The wife's cell phone provides the internet (hot-spot) connectivity. The first year was interesting and at times a little to exciting but you'll acclimate to it. Enjoy!!!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #34

We use my daughter in Illinois for our mailing address. We cancelled hard-copies on everything possible like bank statements, etc. Then we signed up with the credit bureaus to block credit card solicitations for 5 years. When I signed up for Good Sam, I called them and told them we want NO advertisements (also did it online with them). It took some doing but we minimized our snail mail. So, my daughter gets very little mail for us. About once every couple of months or so, I have her forward essential mail to us wherever we are. We keep a Texas address at another family member's house just for residency things like drivers license, vehicle registration, and voter registration. So we stay Texas residents but have an Illinois mailing address.

By the way, we do spend more time in Texas than any other state since we winter over down there so I think we're not doing anything illegal as far as state residency.

Good luck!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #35

My dream would be to sell it all and get a 30' sailboat and see the world. The wife isn't as keen on sailing and not so sure how I'd do with nothing to look at for weeks at a time when making a passage (aka crossing an ocean).

An RV is the backup plan. Talking to full timers seems many go wwith a class A and toad..but a long conversation with a couple that chose a 5vr (and others too) have me leaning that direction. One engine. Easy to get repaired most anyplace. If it's in for mtce you're house isn't there too.

Price is comparable - the couple got a 2 year old diesel pu and used 5vr - had less than $70k in their whole rig. I hear tell diesel pu/s aren't that bad on fuel when towing (compared to a diesel pusher) and light can do over 20mpg. Monday a couple pulled in with a diesel pusher and a minivan on a tow dolly..a minivan won't do 20mpg and I"m sure that monster rig got 5-6mpg.

Class A's are nicer in side..more convenient for travel. If we stop with our TT for lunch, put the dog in there, use the bathroom, we need to put out the slide. PITA. Have to shop a lot more for a FT 5vr I'd think. Might be easier to sell once you/if you choose a home base.

The question that I now face, as I age, is what about one's health? Traveling, sailing or RVing, you don't have a regular dr..should you have an issue and need 'rehab' or other extensive treatment what do you do about 'camping'?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #36

Also..how do you shop online? As in get deliveries?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #37
Incheon, S. Korea

Escapee's forum haas all the info you need to know about fulltiming and stuff.
Escapee's
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #38

I can't imagine any P/U 5th wheel getting 20 mpg. A couple of thoughts from my perspective.
First I would say that 5th wheels almost always have a better layout and are more comfortable to live in.
Second MH are easier to get in and be gone. Unhook utilities and slides in hook up car and gone. Not as much work as a trailer 5th or BP.
Third diesel pushers are made for miles. They like it and it's what they do best. Other options would be a gasser MH and they are very nice.
We went with a diesel pusher because I wanted easy and smooth and comfortable. I have neck and back issue that caused me to retire early. It also makes travel a pain in the neck. I stop and rest often and with the MH I can be in bead in 5 minutes.
What ever your choice it's all about compromise. Every choice does something better and you need to decide what works best for you and your family.
I laugh when people ask why I got what I did or why not a 5th wheel and I just say it works best for me. You need to be a Able to say the same thing.
One last thing don't wait until the time is perfect or you have enough money. Your health or your spouse health can go at any time. Not saying quit your job but don't wait until things are perfect either because they seldom are.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I can't imagine any P/U 5th wheel getting 20 mpg. A couple of thoughts from my perspective.
not when towing, but when TOURING - park the TT and go to town...
Ram EcoDiesel - Fuel Economy, Power & Efficiency - Ram Trucks 28mpg hiway!
From reading/talking a cummins in a dodge often gets 16-18mpg in daily driving situations.
that's as good or better than my chevy silverado 5.3 gas.

What MPG do you get with your diesel pusher?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #40

I got it. I didn't read that correctly. I have a cummins 6.7 and get 9.5 towing a 5000# car and 12-13 not. Funny thing I can pull the car and weigh 33,000# I get almost ten MPG but the car by itself only gets 16-19 MPG. Why? I'm very happy with the set up I have. It drives very easy almost better than the car and is practical or as practical as a RV can be.