Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiveywaver3 View Post
First let me say that I have had issues with the factory tires issued by Forest River. I(we) have a Rockwood Ultra Lite 5ver 2898KS this is the fifth Forest River 5ver that we have had since 2006, most often the issued tires were a maxed weight capacity or very close, right out of the factory. After losing a 6ply on a unit that really needed a 10ply I came to the conclusion that the the factory was putting on the minimum tire possible.
I(we)have changed out the factory tires from that point on to much more robust rated tires as soon as we got the unit home from the dealer.
The unit we have now came with E rated bombs. I put Hercules ST235/8016 H901s on a Rockwood Ultra 2898KS( a not overly heavy unit ) inflated to 80#s. The only issue my DW has with these 16 plys is the unit tends to bounce just a little at high speed. So the rear living has furniture move around. But the unit pulls like dream and I have seen 3/4 to a mile increase in gas milage over all up to 65. The only real issue with these tires is that they are extremely difficult to mount, tire machines cannot be used, have to use tools that mount semi tires.
You gotta be careful running under inflated tires. That can cause premature end of life of the tire.
DirtyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #42

I tow a trailer behind my 5er and I was wearing out E rated tires in less than a season. I went with the Discount Tire brand called Hartland. They are great tires and I have not had any problems since I went with G rated tires. I did have to move to the 85 size as well. The rear set started to get some tread wear after 4 years and I just rotated them. I also have TPMS in all my tires with a 12volt repeater halfway down the camper to pickup my double tow. All of my trailers get the Hartlands now and I uprate them anytime I can. I also had FR upgrade my axles and built a new subframe from the axle hangers back to the rear of the camper for my receiver.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #43

I’m very impressed with my Saliun s637’s. My Columbus 386FK is also just short of 14,000.
Mleinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #44

G rated tires two points

I upgraded my F150 tires to 10-ply, essentially ambulance tires. best decision I ever made. Run them lower pressure when not towing and the ride is a little stiffer, but under load they are perfect.

If you did have a bearing grease (or other issue) the wheel might have run hot and heated up the tire causing the blow.

IMHO, you're thinking is dead on track....not commenting on CCW or Payloads, you have to calc that, but just saying.... I think one of the best upgrades ANY tower (pronounced TOE-er, not TOWer (as in power)) can make is stiffer tires. I wouldn't mind feedback on this but it feels to me that very very few towing capable vehicles are delivered with tires that maximize their performance. The mfgs know people buy big bad trucks often for ego purposes and will never tow. So they are delivered with "OEM" (only enough for most) tires and brakes. You buy an F-150 off the lot and tow with it, then upgrade tires and brakes and see the difference.

Respectfully, just my experience.
Steve W indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #45

I replaced the China Bombs on our fifth wheel with G-Rated Sailuns and have not had any troubles. Tires have been working great and I talked to others running the same tires and all like them as well.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
One of our WestlakeS blew last January.

Changed to the 614 Goodyear’s on the road.

The specs I looked at this am said the tires are the same outside diameter. Actually the 80 series Endurance in the Goodyear was actually larger than the 614 85’s.

Data from 614’s was tire discounter. Endurance was at e trailer..

We were at a commercial tire shop. Very professional. We had them balanced. They do seem to ride better. $1300 installed.

Can I ask where you got these specs from specifically? The reason I ask is I've seen and hopefully helped Tire Rack correct several Goodyear tire specs before. Whoever puts their information in, has made several errors in this and put incorrect information on their site. I was just wanting to check on something.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #47

I run the S637 Sailum G rated 14ply all steel, 2nd set and zero issues. From what I see in your pictures you have room for the 85 size, however that stabilizer will not fit. The tire although close they will not touch each other. Big O is where I purchased mine in UT.
brewnut44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #48

Question

Has anyone had any experience with Gladiator ST tires , st 235/ 85R16 129/125N
14 ply , G load rating 4080 lb. 110 psi.??
Dealer price $147.95
Steve Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #49
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harris View Post
Dealer price $147.95
Sounds too good to be true. Supposedly, the tires are made by the Bridgestone plant in China. Which should be good. IMO, the price tells me there is something going on. At the very least the date code should be checked to make sure they are no more than 18 months old.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harris View Post
Dealer price $147.95
We had our entire axles tires, upgraded at a local shop that manufactures and repairs all manner of trailers, Thib's Trailers in Duson, LA. They are VERY knowledgeable and professional.

They installed Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G tires on our camper at the same time (around 20 months ago). I had never heard of them, but the Service Manager, Ben Broussard, assured me they install those same tires on all the trailers they build or service that require load range G tires.

They have served us well over the approximately 10,000 miles we have dragged them around. We did tell Thib's to upgrade the valve stems to the metal bolt on type. We have yet to have to add air, they have maintained their pressure and wear evenly thus far.

We have no complaints at all.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #51

the price for the highly recommended sailun s637 is only marginally more than the $147 price from the dealer. i believe the sailun tires are also made in china but i do not know where or by who. i wonder if they are made at the same plant? of course the cost matters but again paying a few dollars more for a highly rated tire is peace of mind for me.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Sounds too good to be true. Supposedly, the tires are made by the Bridgestone plant in China. Which should be good. IMO, the price tells me there is something going on. At the very least the date code should be checked to make sure they are no more than 18 months old.
The Sailun S637 tires are $150 all day and they are the same rating. I’m still shocked that people will gladly pay more than double that for the Endurance tires.
DirtyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #53

I bought a set of the Sailuns two months ago on Amazon that were delivered to my door four days later. You shouldn’t be having a hard time finding them......

They seem to be a great tire.
tbirdkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #54
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMax View Post
The Sailun S637 tires are $150 all day and they are the same rating. I’m still shocked that people will gladly pay more than double that for the Endurance tires.
Sorry, I was not as clear as I should have been. I didn’t mean the price in and of itself. I had done a quick look at online prices of the Gladiator and the $147 seemed a bit lower than a spot check of pricing. That was why I mentioned checking dates. Thought they may be old stock the seller was looking to unload.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #55

Simpletire.com has the Sailum 637 for $628. Set of 4 free shipping. They are a good China made tire that holds up well.
brewnut44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:02 PM   #56

Internal or external sensors?

Question on the sensors:. Is there an option for integrated tpms sensors ?

I've purchased new tires so I could have internal sensors installed when I have my new tires mounted. It seems to me that this would be more durable than screw on sensors on a rubber valve stem.
SnowmanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:29 PM   #57
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmanCO View Post
Question on the sensors:. Is there an option for integrated tpms sensors ?

I've purchased new tires so I could have internal sensors installed when I have my new tires mounted. It seems to me that this would be more durable than screw on sensors on a rubber valve stem.
These have been spot on for us. Automotive style internal sensors. https://tusonrvbrakes.com/
Old 08-14-2020, 11:44 PM   #58

Thank you ��
SnowmanCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tire, tires, wheel