Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #21

Sailun

I’ve been very happy with my G rated Sailun tires I got from SimpleTire. Free shipping and a 20% discount——- no brainer for me. I’d definitely buy them again. Just looked and they still have them.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:04 AM   #22

We had the axles upgraded at a local trailer manufacturing and repair company two years ago.

Since I was replacing them all it made sense to me to upgrade the load bearing capacity.

That shop, Thibs Trailers in Duson, LA got me Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G for less than I could get them at eTrailer.

They have lasted, so far, two years with NO problems whatsoever. Just my .02.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:11 AM   #23

Amazon sells the Sailun tires with free shipping also.
The Sailun tire has a very thick side wall.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #24

The tires that came on our Sandpiper (don't remember the brand) did not last a year. Switched to Firestone tires spring of 2014 and had two flats with them. Attended the 2014 rally in Goshen and while we were having work done on the rig the plant manager of the Sandpiper and Sierra lines at the time noticed the two Firestone tires strapped to the deck and the two mismatched tires on the rig and said we will change these out for you with better tires. They put new tires on no charge to us. Changed these out in October of 2017 because they were worn out with 30k miles. The shop where we have all our heavy truck work done sold Avanda3000T tires to the farmers and ranchers with cattle and hay trailers and said these will be good for your rig. These are 235/85R16 G rated 14 ply that take 100psi.
All most 25k on these with no real signs of wear and no flats.
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #25

I have the Sailun tires and have been to Florida and back along with many other trips. I typed in the tire on my computer and hit shopping. There were a number of suppliers and WallMart was selling them for $125. Ordered them and checked the date codes at pickup and they were fresh. Had local tire store mount and balance and sold the Westlakes to a local farmer. Got out of the switch for less than $400. Would definitely reccomend Sailun tires and would buy again. No wear showing yet.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:44 PM   #26

Tire Pressure for G rated tires on 80 psi rims?

Howdy all,

I've been following this thread as well as doing my historical research into the 6000 lb axles on the 365SAQ. Mine is a 2013 with the original 6000 lb axles and the 6-lug aluminum wheels. I don't have the money to upgrade my axles to the 7000 lb models, as much as it would be a good move.

I figure that it would at least be a good compromise to upgrade to the Sailun g-rated tires. Since I'll be running the original wheels, and my wheels don't have a PSI limit stamped on them (like the 8 lug wheels do) I plan to maintain my pressure at the 80 psi max that is called for with the E-rated tires.

I know that I won't gain any additional load rating over the E-tires, but that isn't my objective. I just want to run a stronger tire that will not be operating at its limit so that I am decreasing the odds of a tire failure.

I know that the Sailun is rated for 110 psi and that if I'm running it at 80 PSI, I am running it underinflated...and I know that is a death sentence for tires. However, if a lighter weight e-rated tire in the exact same size can run at 80 PSI, wouldn't the same size tire with much beefier construction be just as safe at 80 PSI?

Any flaws in this logic?
SnowmanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #27

I run my Sailuns at 95 psi and watched them get to 108 psi after 2 hours of traveling .
After over 4K miles the tires looks great.

The side wall is so thick on these tires the tires looked normal with 35 psi with full load.
The company that mounted my tires only inflated the new tires to 35 psi, I installed the wheels before checking the pressure and was mad at the company but surprised at the tire.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:26 AM   #28
clr

All most all wheels are marked with either the max psi or the max weight carrying capacity. This information is normally on the inside of the wheel so is hard to see with the tire mounted. If you remove a wheel and clean the backside of the wheel you should be able to determine.
In my case the stock wheels were only rated for 3505 pounds or 80 psi max. My 5th wheel came with Goodyear Marathon tires so I thought I was good, until the second trip to texas for the winter when I blew two on one trip.
Most FR units get there tires and wheels from one of two suppliers either Tredit or Lionsgate tire and wheel. In my case for Prime Time it was Tredit. I emailed them and they stated that the wheels on my unit were only good for 80 psi max.
So my upgrade plans were put on hold for more research for a while due to cost. But I did later go ahead and upgrade both the wheels and tires for greater capacity. I choose to go with 17.5 inch wheels and Sailun tires I bough 5 wheels with the tires mounted on them from Tredit for about $1,562. I had my son pick them up since he drove right but there office at the time. I mounted the wheels my self after having them balanced.
I have had these tires and wheels now for about 5 years and love the tires. I have many miles on the tires and highly recommend these tires. These tires and wheels along side the oem tires look like a man among boys. The oem tires were may be 70 pounds or so, the Sailun tires and wheels were over a 100 I would guess.
By the way I went with the 17.5 inch wheels because this tire size is readily available at truck stop tire dealers. Try to find a 16 inch load range E tire at a tire dealer, take it from my they are rarely in stock. So a unplanned flat would mean a couple of unplanned days waiting on the tire.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #29

The Hercules or the Sailun are great choices. We run the Sailun on our 42’ Heritage Glen and love them. One thing I didn’t see in your post was if you had G rated wheels also. You shouldn’t run you E rated wheels with G rated tires.
DirtyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #30

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. So far, nobody has answered my question.

My rig has 6 lug wheels rated for E tires. I am currently not working due to the COVID BS. I can't buy new wheels and tires both at this time.

If I run G tires that are the exact same size as E tires on the same rims at the same 80 psi, wouldn't that be better than E tires because the G tires are simply built stronger?
Old 08-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #31

If you run the stock wheels You should ask that they put in the high pressure valve stems. The regular rubber ones will blow out at 100psi. Those are only rated to 80 psi.
DirtyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #32

I'm only planning on running them at 80 psi. Although I like the idea of stronger valve stems too.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #33
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
To the OP, I did not see a mention of whether you have internal or external TPMS for your tires. (Ifso, my apologies) That said, do go to metal valve stems. Most on here agree to use the metal stems for the TPMS. Better heat transfer and less flex on the valve stem. Just be sure not to get the really short stems, as the sensor may not fit-depending on your rim style.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #34

First let me say that I have had issues with the factory tires issued by Forest River. I(we) have a Rockwood Ultra Lite 5ver 2898KS this is the fifth Forest River 5ver that we have had since 2006, most often the issued tires were a maxed weight capacity or very close, right out of the factory. After losing a 6ply on a unit that really needed a 10ply I came to the conclusion that the the factory was putting on the minimum tire possible.
I(we)have changed out the factory tires from that point on to much more robust rated tires as soon as we got the unit home from the dealer.
The unit we have now came with E rated bombs. I put Hercules ST235/8016 H901s on a Rockwood Ultra 2898KS( a not overly heavy unit ) inflated to 80#s. The only issue my DW has with these 16 plys is the unit tends to bounce just a little at high speed. So the rear living has furniture move around. But the unit pulls like dream and I have seen 3/4 to a mile increase in gas milage over all up to 65. The only real issue with these tires is that they are extremely difficult to mount, tire machines cannot be used, have to use tools that mount semi tires.
Skiveywaver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #35

TPMS

Thanks for mentioning TPMS. I hadn't talked about it, but I do intend to get one.

Anybody have any brands to recommend? Or more importantly, any to avoid?
Old 08-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #36
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmanCO View Post
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. So far, nobody has answered my question.

My rig has 6 lug wheels rated for E tires. I am currently not working due to the COVID BS. I can't buy new wheels and tires both at this time.

If I run G tires that are the exact same size as E tires on the same rims at the same 80 psi, wouldn't that be better than E tires because the G tires are simply built stronger?
At your weight of approximately 12,000 pounds, you should probably be running G's to begin with. The wheel is rated for load, not tire, so no issue there as long as they can support the TT.
Trailer tires should be inflated to the sidewall pressure. Underinflating them can cause overheating and allows them to squirm a bit. With the weight you are at, 110 psi is not going to make it ride rough. If that is your concern. The wheels will handle it if you put metal valve stems in.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #37

I’m using TST TPMS system in color, RV Odd couple have a coupon code on YouTube .
Nice system with repeater for longer trailers .
Old 08-10-2020, 01:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
To the OP, I did not see a mention of whether you have internal or external TPMS for your tires. (Ifso, my apologies) That said, do go to metal valve stems. Most on here agree to use the metal stems for the TPMS. Better heat transfer and less flex on the valve stem. Just be sure not to get the really short stems, as the sensor may not fit-depending on your rim style.
I didn't mention if I had internal or external TPMS, I have the TST Systems 507 external sensors, so thanks for the heads up. I will definitely change to the metal valve stems, and I will make sure they are long enough for the sensor to still fix on there, good point.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I’m using TST TPMS system in color, RV Odd couple have a coupon code on YouTube .
Nice system with repeater for longer trailers .
Mine is not the color model, I think I bought before the color model came out. The repeater is a must. I tried originally without, but would loose the signal on tires from time to time. I bought a repeater and actually just installed it under the trailer mounted to the belly and connected to the trailer battery. Haven't had an issue loosing connection since. I think we bought our system back in 2013.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmanCO View Post
Thanks for mentioning TPMS. I hadn't talked about it, but I do intend to get one.

Anybody have any brands to recommend? Or more importantly, any to avoid?
I am using the TST Systems model 507. I think someone else is also running that one that replied here on this thread and suggested a youtube video with a coupon code. I bought the external sensors. Easy to work with. I did have to buy a repeater after the first year of running them. No programming needed, just mount it somewhere and give it power. It comes with a fairly long cord. I hooked mine up to one of the batteries in our front storage compartment.

Tags
5th wheel, tire, tires, wheel