Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #1

GFCI Tripping 50A - 6000W WEN Parallel Kit

Just bought a Rockwood 2896MB with 50A service. We have 2 AC units (15,000 in kitchen/13,500 in bedroom). I bought two WEN 3800W Inverter Generators and the WEN 6000W Parallel Kit. One of the generators runs an AC unit and some other appliances just fine with a 30A/50A adapter directly from the generator. However, when I parallel the generators and plug into the parallel kit 50A receiver with our 50A cord, the GCFI in the kitchen immediately trips when I try to turn on the AC in the rear near the kitchen (15,000BTU). The fireplace also beeps 3x but will not turn on. Same happens with the ceiling fan on the same GCFI. Too much power? Any ideas?

I haven’t tried the 30A option on the parallel kit since it requires a 30A twist adapter and that is on order. Will the 30A with 6,000 Watts power both ACs at the same time?

Thanks
bricam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #2

A GFCI must have a balanced circuit to keep from tripping. The same amount of current being supplied by the line must also match the current in the neutral conductor of the load. If the GFCI senses any current going to ground or senses a differential in the line/neutral current, the GFCI will fault and trip. I'd first make sure that there is a good ground between the two generators. Beyond that, it's hard to take a guess as to what's going on without being able to be on site with a Volt-Ohm-Meter to make some tests.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #3

I called WEN and rewired the parallel kit. Works great now. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Thanks for letting us know that you got it fixed.

Can you tell us what was wrong and how you rewired it?
A pic or diagram would be great!
Old 06-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

On the parallel kit the 50A Plug is turned counter clockwise so the ground is 3 o clock, right hot is 12 o’clock neutral is 9 o’clock and left hot is 6 o’clock. When I removed the front panel, they had ground to ground, neutral to 6 o’clock hot (white wires) and hot to 12 o’clock. Nothing connecting to neutral at 9 o’clock. I simply moved neutral from 6 o’clock to 9 o’clock (maybe where it should have been all along?) and added a black wire bridge from 12 o’clock to 6 o’clock so that both hots had power.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
Site Team

That makes sense why the gfci was tripping then.
I'm glad it turned out to be a simple fix.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:37 PM   #7

Me too!