Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Canadian Member

Grab Handle Leaving Mark on Door

We picked up our new-to-us 2011 Rockwood on Wednesday. I noticed after the drive home that the black foam on the large grab handle for the entrance door is leaving a mark on the door. The surface of the door sticks out a bit further than the trailer's side wall so the black foam on the handle rubs the door a bit leaving a mark.

This is our first trailer with the large grab handle. Our previous Roo didn't have one.

I'm sure that the grab handle is supposed to be stowed across the door so I'm wondering if this is a common issue and if so is there something I can do other than putting some kind of wedges on the mounting points so it sticks out farther?

It's certainly not a big deal but it is an annoyance.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #2

Ive always stowed them back,not over the door.Why would you want it over the door?
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Ive always stowed them back,not over the door.Why would you want it over the door?
Just an extra guarantee the door doesn't come open. Just get a cleaner wax and clean the spot and wax it real good.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We picked up our new-to-us 2011 Rockwood on Wednesday. I noticed after the drive home that the black foam on the large grab handle for the entrance door is leaving a mark on the door. The surface of the door sticks out a bit further than the trailer's side wall so the black foam on the handle rubs the door a bit leaving a mark.

This is our first trailer with the large grab handle. Our previous Roo didn't have one.

I'm sure that the grab handle is supposed to be stowed across the door so I'm wondering if this is a common issue and if so is there something I can do other than putting some kind of wedges on the mounting points so it sticks out farther?

It's certainly not a big deal but it is an annoyance.
I close mine over the door. I keep the black insulation clean and spray 303 on it. No marks from mine and my door will open even if locked with the dead bolt. It is warped. It keeps it closed atleast and won't fly open driving down the highway.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

I had the same problem. I just started stowing it in the other direction and problem solved.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

Our Crusader has two round rubber bumpers on door to keep stowaway handle from rubbing on it....
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Just do like gljurczyk suggested, clean it and wipe it down with 303. Have had them on the last 4 trailers and never have a mark and always fold/ed them over the door as insurance.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #8

I have the same problem. I can't fold mine away from the door because the awning arm is in the way. My door is not flush with the wall as well so the handle bounces against the door. I don't think the handle makes it to the final locking position due the door not being flush although I've never had it swing out when I'm driving.

When the handle is extended, the awning arm hits it when I put the awning out so I have to hold it back when I extend or retract the awning. I think I will take it off and just install a non-folding grab handle. I hope the mounting holes line up or are close.

Laura
Old 05-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan View Post
I have the same problem. I can't fold mine away from the door because the awning arm is in the way. My door is not flush with the wall as well so the handle bounces against the door. I don't think the handle makes it to the final locking position due the door not being flush although I've never had it swing out when I'm driving.

When the handle is extended, the awning arm hits it when I put the awning out so I have to hold it back when I extend or retract the awning. I think I will take it off and just install a non-folding grab handle. I hope the mounting holes line up or are close.

Laura
You can shim the handle mount out so the handle doesn't touch the door.

Tags
door