Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

Angry Heritage Glenn 282BHIS Trouble with Dealer

On Dec 7 bought a new 2014 282bhis from Hitch rv sales in NJ.Should have know something would be screwed up by Dealer.Gave them a deposit over the phone before even seeing trailer in person.When We traveled to dealer a week later to finish deal it was pouring rain and they didnt even have a good battery or charged jump pack to use to power trailer.Apparently the the dealer had taken a few parts off of it suchs as propane cover,parts of tv mount and bathroom door.not to mention brown couch cushions had faded to tan fron blinds never be closed.But the biggest problem was a rip in flooring in front of kitchen island.After some discussion we decide buying any way with dealer doing repairs.after trying to fix floor and that not working dealer ordered new flooring.finally on January 30 the flooring was delivered to dealer.After many phone calls and emails the dealer finally called installer to make appointment on on march 4.Today we call to check on progress and found out the wrong flooring was either sent or ordered.Flooring was reordered today but some how it takes 5 days to go from indiana to New Jersey.we have reservations for april 1 Im not sure dealer is capable of have my trailer done in time.
mulltrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

HitchRV, ever since the ownership change, is well-known to those of us local to them as a dealer not to deal with... Frankly they are terrible, and I'm sorry you're going through this. They are the Heritage Glen dealer here and only 25 minutes from me. As you see in my signature, I own a HG, and my dealer is 5.5hrs away!

The floor is 5 days out because it can ship UPS and they have a deal with UPS for economy ground which is slower and cheaper.

Further, I can almost assure you Hitch ordered incorrectly because it's done through an online process and I've had personal experience with dealer warranty guys not navigating it properly.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

something manufacturers have done in the past few years is not glue down the vinyl. If going back with vinyl I suggest you request a "full spread". this is what makes vinyl tough and virtually impossible to tear...stay away from the white foam backed vinyl as well if possible
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
something manufacturers have done in the past few years is not glue down the vinyl. If going back with vinyl I suggest you request a "full spread". this is what makes vinyl tough and virtually impossible to tear...stay away from the white foam backed vinyl as well if possible
No can do with FR's current flooring. OP's only option for that would be negotiate the ~$1000 refund for flooring (FR limit on that length) and get it done elsewhere. It'll be more than $1000 too after cutting out existing floating floor, pattern cut a glue-down, install, and finish all perimeters with quarter round for looks and preventing edge curl.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
No can do with FR's current flooring. OP's only option for that would be negotiate the ~$1000 refund for flooring (FR limit on that length) and get it done elsewhere. It'll be more than $1000 too after cutting out existing floating floor, pattern cut a glue-down, install, and finish all perimeters with quarter round for looks and preventing edge curl.
I cant see running with the floating floor and the possibility of more issues later. Here's a recent floor we did. Full spread and just a little caulk to keep the edges down. A good vinyl guy can drop in vinyl with no gaps and no template. Under $700 should not be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	71133  
Old 03-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #6

My friend, you are not from the Delaware Valley! $$$ Also, I will 100% guarantee caulk will not hold over the long term. Not in a camper and generally not in residential install. The material will dimensionally change to extremes and those edges will curl and the caulk won't stop it. Sorry, property of the materials, especially with most all coextrusions. Spare the argument please as well, as I'm only one step removed from the family business of coextruded, calendared, cast, and blown film sheet goods because I took different interest in my career in engineering.

Regardless, OP is not likely going this route... Just venting his frustration with a notoriously poor dealership and suffering through getting lot-aged unit up to like-new snuff.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

whoa...why all the diatribe. Its not worth it. If your a part of the industry making whats trying to pass for flooring nowadays I get it. Think about all the subfloors ruined by water migration under your "floating floors" as well and maybe you'll get it...
Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
whoa...why all the diatribe. Its not worth it. If your a part of the industry making whats trying to pass for flooring nowadays I get it. Think about all the subfloors ruined by water migration under your "floating floors" as well and maybe you'll get it...
You know, I notice in every post you respond to that you like to make it a mental exercise. Well, I certainly don't mind one because my background is pretty diverse and in-depth and I've worked all sides from dirty hands and broken knuckles to the chief engineer and lead designer. You like to assert your self-proclaimed correctness with comments like "maybe you'll get it." So why don't you put some time into studying why a floating floor actually is better on a vacuum laminated composite with what is currently used as the substrate and what is in the sandwich. Perhaps maybe then you'll get it, but I will give you a hint in that spongey composite floors are not generated by just leaks.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #9

Quote:
You know, I notice in every post you respond to that you like to make it a mental exercise. Well, I certainly don't mind one because my background is pretty diverse and in-depth and I've worked all sides from dirty hands and broken knuckles to the chief engineer and lead designer. You like to assert your self-proclaimed correctness with comments like "maybe you'll get it." So why don't you put some time into studying why a floating floor actually is better on a vacuum laminated composite with what is currently used as the substrate and what is in the sandwich. Perhaps maybe then you'll get it, but I will give you a hint in that spongey composite floors are not generated by just leaks.
every time a customer comes in with a floor destroyed by water under the vinyl, I get reminded of the benefits of a "floating floor". "I just never saw the water", they claim. Hard to see water under vinyl. Insurance companies balk at the claim, trying to state "pre existing condition". Ive seen new coaches, parked in winter and destroyed by spring. 50 percent of my structural work is now floors covered by "floating vinyl". Usually its where the fresh water entry goes through the floor to the tank or maybe a p-trap under a shower. Anyplace where the vinyl is cut and not glued. I've seen it migrate up to 2/3 of the coach. Washington dont care, and neither does the Interstate commerce commision or consumer affairs. Ive tried them all. So, your safe for now. But, there are many victims from this technology and no amount of eloquence will change that.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #10

Quote:
good point. why dont you tell me why vacuum laminates are better with a floating floor. my first experiences with sandwich floors were southwind motorhomes in the 80's. 3/8" ply on foam and sheet aluminum. they didnt like exhaust heat in the hallway. it would seem to me vinyl glue might be an issue
on OSB. we always float that with a concrete material before we go back with a full spread, perhaps thats the answer. so enlighten us. I'll make you a deal. Educate us and I'll tell you how I keep the vinyl down.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:01 AM   #11

Didn't mean to cause any arguments I was just venting all the problems I have had with Hitchrv since buying TT have almost been comical if it wasn't happening to me the full extant of the dealers incompetents will make great fire side talk once I'm finally camping.I will wait to make final judgment on Hitchrv until pickup TT . The location in NJ I'm dealing with got a new general manager three weeks ago and has Acknowledge that the previous management drop the ball on dealing with me and my TT
mulltrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #12

Mulltrr,

Don't let this bickering bother you. Hopefully the dealer will get your trailer fixed quickly and you can get out and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #13

For the record

I took that pic yesterday while the coach was here for freeze damage to water pump. The repair was done Oct 2013. P-trap in shower leaked on a floating floor and wiped out the front 8 feet. 2 sheets 3/4" osb replaced with 2 sheets marine ply.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #14

Had an exact opposite experience with Hitch RV. We bought in Feb '15. Walked the lot with Gary Weber and bought from Chris. I've had it in 2 times for minor warranty service and have had great experience with the service department as well. How did it all resolve for you? Did they get everything taken care of?

Stan
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #15

just had another customer come back in with a floor we did in 2011. no issues with the floor. summers up to 110's and winters down to the 20's. vinyl looks great...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	90947  

Tags
dealer