Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Hey guys camper is totalled but have an important question for you guys?

Hi guys my camper is totaled and the insurance adjuster called me and gave me an offer that is 4500 dollars lower then for me to buy another one.Mine is a 2017 and they are still making them at the factory.So I refused their first offer and they called me back and went up 400 dollars and that is it.So I asked them where they got there price from because I cant even find a used 2017 in Michigan and they said they couldn't either but found some in Kentucky and north Carolina and that is where they got their value from.So I told them probably not on the offer and they said I would have to hire my own estimator and they would hire an estimator and go from there.Should I hire one or take their last offer I don't know what to do any help would be appreciated thanks
bigguy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy214 View Post
Hi guys my camper is totaled and the insurance adjuster called me and gave me an offer that is 4500 dollars lower then for me to buy another one.Mine is a 2017 and they are still making them at the factory.So I refused their first offer and they called me back and went up 400 dollars and that is it.So I asked them where they got there price from because I cant even find a used 2017 in Michigan and they said they couldn't either but found some in Kentucky and north Carolina and that is where they got their value from.So I told them probably not on the offer and they said I would have to hire my own estimator and they would hire an estimator and go from there.Should I hire one or take their last offer I don't know what to do any help would be appreciated thanks
Are you talking $4500 lower than MSRP? If yes, take it. You can probably get at least 20-30% off MSRP....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the trailer, I hope there were no injuries?
What make and model is the 2017?
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #4

Just like a car. you drive it off the lot, it is not 'new' anymore, but a used unit. Are you to 'buy' a new one, it will be higher, the 'used' will be lower. What does you 'policy' say? Full replacement value of like unit or value when wrecked? If you are in possession of your unit right now... strip what you can off of it and then take the money, hand the unit over and then don't look back.

imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Just like a car. you drive it off the lot, it is not 'new' anymore, but a used unit. Are you to 'buy' a new one, it will be higher, the 'used' will be lower. What does you 'policy' say? Full replacement value of like unit or value when wrecked? If you are in possession of your unit right now... strip what you can off of it and then take the money, hand the unit over and then don't look back.

imo
X2. Take the cash and dash. You'll prolly make a few bucks finding one on-line for less $$.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
DDC

I have total replacement on mine and that would be what I would be looking for, ask them when they can deliver it to your driveway.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Crookedread

Before I did anything I would ask what they are comparing it to. Ask for a comparison sheet their appraiser used. Often times they are not thorough or are inaccurate. They do that so they can offer you a lower settlement. When you get the sheet if there is one, compare it to the accessories you have on your trailer. Definitely a place to start negotiating for a little more money.

I have added quite a few things like upgrades to tires, maxairs, WD hitch, extra stabilizers, and the trailer came with extras like generator, awning, special trim package, so don't give those all away as far as the replacement cost. Also don't assume you can use them on the new trailer.

Then when you have gone as far as you can, agree that is probably close but the replacement is in another state. It's obvious that there will be costs in missing work and towing expenses. Missed work is a tough one to get but mileage is legit!! Take an average of the places he has proposed since you don't know who you will purchase from.

If they won't go for that, or you are still a long way apart, ask for his direct Supervisors name and contact info. They will be hesitant to do that!! Ask if they are refusing to give you the name! You will get the name of a person. That person generally doesn't know anything about the transaction and doesn't want to be involved.

Never talk to the original adjuster again unless he is making a new offer. Guaranteed he has been told by the Supervisor to sweeten the pot.

During this negotiation, always be polite but firm. Never yell or scream. When you do you lose immediately !

Look for a fair solution! Recognize that your trailer is not worth what you paid for it! Depreciation sucks!! I would take all of the things out of the trailer that you are not being paid for. Not the stove and refer, toilet!

Remember, this is a negotiation and you are the only one representing your interests.

Hope this helps. Let me know

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I have total replacement on mine and that would be what I would be looking for, ask them when they can deliver it to your driveway.
'Total Replacement' is on the Value of the Unit about 5 minutes before it was 'Totaled'..... meaning... a Used Unit.... not a Brand New Unit....

'We' read into the policy what 'we' want it to say (Replace NEW) and not what it really says... (Replace as is...Used).

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Ok, a couple things. If you have an agent, call them as they are the closest thing to reasonable in your scenario to explain your rights and the obligations of the insurance co, but don't place too much on that avenue, it's more for your understanding. Next, please read your policy so you are on the same footing as them. Go to any and all area dealers that deal with your make and model and have them give you a written quote in WRITING on the retail value of your unit, and if they would order one for you from the factory for the stated replacement cost offered by the insurance company .
It does not matter what state you live in, the general legal doctrine that governs is this; you MUST be put in the position (i.e. value) you were in immediately before your loss.
They MUST also reimburse your loss amount by including transportation costs of said found units, to your principle place of residence. Call the named dealers who they say have your unit in stock and ask for a quote to ship it to your address if you feel your ins. co is not being accurate. ALSO, if the like kind units they are quoting you are from private sellers, you need to contact your dealer and ask them if the stated warranties on the component parts (fridge, stove, AC, etc) transfer to you, when the unit was previously owned. You are to be put into a position immediately prior, means with the value of the remaining warranties as well valued in the settlement. YOU are not the transporter, but you also need to feel comfortable that the unit is the same make, model and cond., so that is your comfort zone that only you can address. So, as an example, a unit that was owned by a smoker needs to be throughly cleaned and decented, prior to your acceptance. Again, a value equal to yours immediately prior to the loss.
Begin right now by taking contemporaneous notes of ALL information.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
For what it's worth ... let your dealer know you are in need of an INSURANCE REPLACEMENT ... down under the covers, they can adjust the price, sometimes even work with factory, to provide a discount if the insurance company cuts the check straight to them for the replacement unit.
You need to do this BEFORE you sign / settle with insurance company.
For the manufacturer / dealer, it means they get to move another new unit ... as opposed to you going to another brand or dealer, so it is in their interest to make insurance replacements work. If you have a 2017 the "newness" is pretty self explanatory (that presuming that you are working with people who grasp advanced concepts like sunrise and gravity.)

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #11

Wait, the sun rises, when did this happen.

Banks, lawyers and insurance companies, its all a matter of who is causing pain in the instant.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #12

Good information here...
I had a similar circumstance this year. 2011 Puma bought ? 09-13. New unit was $28K(i have the papers). I paid $18.5K at purchase. When the unit was totaled the insurance said they were paying 16??K based on available similar units. I had but several thinks on there and took most off as the only request the insurance said that it had to have everything it came with. They marked it up about $500 more dollars. The only thing I didn't take off(that I wanted) was the converter. I found the old one later and should have changed it. I even got the towel racks and stuff. I also didn't get my drinking water faucet/fiitration system I installed. Lost $100+ on that.
All that being said... They salvage hauler company that picked it up could care less. Never looked in or under. No paperwork, no pictures, no inspection...nothing. Looking back. I should have asked for more. Only thing I have is a couple pics of them sadly hauling it away. The guy that picked it up obviously cared nothing about it. The OK door was sprung and he was prying on it with all the tools he had and never got it closed. He ended up strapping it down and hoping for the best. One other thing...He had it hitched so high that the bumper prolly wasn't 8 inches off the ground. Poor old trailer. I felt very sorry for it as it was my baby.
Hope all of your experiences work out OK... I can certainly feel your pains.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #13

All depends on your insurance coverage. Progressive and Good Sam cover full replacement up to the first five years then full amount you paid for your rig forever.
You won't get remembered for tax and license.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
Some guy in back...

I totaled a 33' TT about 14 years ago and working through AAA here in California, got a good, reasonable settlement on the entire deal. I can tell you there are some excellent negotiation points here in the answers and it will pay you to follow them as well as possible.
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #15

All excellent points above. I had hail damage to a pickup several years ago and the insurance company came back with a low ball bid. They said if it cost more then the repair company could contact them for additional funds. I told them the option to repair it was mine and that they should give me full damages. Long story short, I wrote to the state (TX) insurance board with all my saved correspondence, and Viola', about a week later my insurance company asked me to take it to the local GMC dealer and their adjuster met with them. Actually received a check for more than I had been asking for! If all else fails, write the state insurance board, they REALLY do not want their clients writing about them and usually jump very high for the Board.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
i just put the Canadian value on ours for replacement and it was purchased in the USA for 10,000 less than Canada.
i remember totalling a car that had current model year coverage and they offered me less that the price 3 yrs before that. when i spoke with my lawyer he said do one of 2 things

take the offer or tell them that the car that was totalled was the best car ever and that you wanted it fixed. that you were so upset over loosing the vehicle you could not sleep at night it cost them almost 25 grand and every time it squeaked i took it in for repairs. they told the body shop they should have bought me a new current model car ...
Old 09-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Progressive is the only insurance company I know of that offers you a brand new unit up to 5 years after you buy yours if the unit gets totaled. I would talk to the RV center and see if they will go along with what the insurance company is offering without you having to put any money on the new one. I'm sure something can be worked out in your favor.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #18

Who is your insurance company?
Years ago I was with State Farm and had a bad accident head on in a three month new Mercedes. State Farm wouldn't total it even with a frame/axel that needed to be rewelded, four months in the shop and $17,000. damage. I was paying on a car that had lost alot of it's value and hard to sell!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
All depends on your insurance coverage. Progressive and Good Sam cover full replacement up to the first five years then full amount you paid for your rig forever.
You won't get remembered for tax and license.

X2 But then, I thought my Good Sam policy said up to 3 years newer hummmm.....I'll have to double check this.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #20

I'm sorry to hear of your lost RV, and truly hope no one was injured in the event that resulted in it being totaled.

I don't have my policy with me but paraphrasing My Policy defines replacement as: If within 5 model years of it manufacture date and is totaled, will replace with a brand new RV as closely equal in features as the RV. If after the 5 model years then I will be reimbursed the $$ value that I paid for my RV.

I learned the hard way when in 2007 our 2002 Beaver Santiam burnt to the ground. Our policy was similar to the above statement with the caveated statement "Or at our discretion we will pay current market value". That statement relieved the Hartford of replacement costs and left us $50K short of paying off the bank.

Trust me that I now have a different provider and a clearly spelled out definition of replacement value. Also my premiums reflect the added protection.

In all fairness I should note that the issue wasn't really with Hartford, because they do have a true replacement policy available, but rather an agent who promised one thing but then sold something else at a lower price to make the sale.

Good Luck with your negotiations. I would suggest the it is always easier to go in low key and them the chance to do the right thing. You can always negotiate more rigidly if necessary.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, led