Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #1

How are you guys dealing with the second gray water dump position?

I did the walkthrough on my newly purchased Vibe Extreme Lite 268RKS today. It has a forward dump position where the gray and black water tanks come together to a single dump valve - fine. But it also has a separate gray tank for the kitchen which has its own dump position. This valve happens to be under the slide which is going to make it extremely cumbersome to get to when the slide it out.

What's the conventional wisdom here? Do you get a second dump tube and hook it up to the kitchen gray (before you put the slide out)? Do you just leave it lying connected on the valve end until you need to dump and then remove your other tube from the sewer pipe? Do you get a Y connector and feed them both to the sewer pipe? I see lots of options with various pros and cons to each and I'm wondering what other people do.

BTW, I really hate having this dilemma. I'm almost thinking of seeing if I could somehow run that gray water line forward to the other one so everything could some out of one valve. Anyone done that?

Thanks for any insight.
tmhudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #2
Always Learning

Both have been done- plumbing them together and having the hoses connect to a WYE before the campground's sewer connection. I do the latter due to concerns about enough drop between my two connections.

This shows how I handle mine:
http://www.learntorv.com/2013/05/my-...r-hookups.html
Old 02-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

I looked at plumbing mine together, but I have the axle to deal with. Couldn't go over it; didn't want to go under it. The valve for my kitchen gray tank is also under the big slide. I use a "Y" just before the sewer dump, with a hose coming from each valve on the trailer. On the gray tank under the slide, I leave the valve open, but add an extra twist-on valve from Amazon where that hose connects to the "Y" so I can dump that tank without having to crawl under the slide to reach the original valve. Fortunatelt, with only the kitchen sink feeding that gray tank, it doesn't have to be dumped nearly as often, but my set-up works just fine.

Amazon.com: Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve: Automotive
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Being lazier than everyone else, I plumbed the galley tank into the front and added another shutoff valve. Even tho' it does not completely drain the tank, it is sure easier than messing with another slinky and a wye and it was worth the $20 and about 4 hrs labor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Connection.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	70400   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Alum Strap to Hold Drain.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	70401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside view of Rear Connection.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	70402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside view of new connection.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	70403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley tank connected with Main Drain.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	70404  

Name:	DSC00810.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	70405   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00809.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	70406   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00808.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	70407   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00807.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	70408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connection of new pipe.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	70409  

Old 02-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #5

OC how did you tap in to the 3" pipe?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDE OUT View Post
OC how did you tap in to the 3" pipe?
Very carefully with a 1-1/2" hole saw and then filed the elbow until it was a very snug fit and just glued it, did the same at the front. Hasn't leaked in 3 years. When we're in FL, I empty all the tanks about every 4-5 days.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

The 282 rk Hemi is set up the same way, I put the galley hose on before extending the slide, then use a "Y" connector to join the forward tank hose to the galley hose at the connection with the campground system. The biggest pain is opening and closing the valve when the slide is out. I have to get on my hands and knees and crawl under the slide, so I've made an extension handle for the valve. I used to just leave the galley valve open, then realized the only thing that was keeping the odor from the sewer system out of the trailer was the little bit of water in the kitchen sink trap.
I like the idea of connecting the 2 tanks together though.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

You can get saddles tees to do what OC did if you are even LAZIER than him!

Other options include installing an electric gate valve for push of the button opening and having a slink connected at all times... I have separate galley and grey tanks too, except FR got it right with locating my galley drain forward of my slide. I do carry enough slinky, fittings and supports to have both connected to CG sewer so I just have to open valves when in need of a drain during long stays.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have drained several ways. It really depends on where and how long I'm going to be there. Additionally, I'll even use a combination of hose to honey wagon, just got to keep a eagle eye on the combo thing. Do you want just an overnighter drain or are you staying at a resort? Maybe its a ranch residence of sort? Some places have very strict rules. So I carry a box with several bagged and tagged tools. Or I'll take the quick way and just use the slinky hose from the rear bumper and move it to each outlet. I too have a three variable connection setup. Two basic types are "garden hose" (I use a water wye to connect the grey drains to a single garden hose) or use slinky connectors. Using the greywater cap to GH, on the outlet of the RV and Single/dual slinky drain to the sewer are my most common ways. I'll post some pics of the more popular tools I use.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blackwater drain without rubber boot.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	70421   Click image for larger version

Name:	grey drain rubber boot.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	70422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grey hose cap.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	70423  
Attached Images

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

I have the same set up as Capt. Mike. Have had no problem in 3 years.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #11

I use the small hose connection too. I just use the black tank flush hose to drain my galley tank.You will only need to drain every two or three days. I did move my drain valve and pipe to the rear about three feet.It was under the slide and about 6 in.behind the back tire.When a tire would come apart ,I could see it taking out the plumbing.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Well at first I found a fitness instructor to teach me deep bends at the waist and how to crawl and stay low to the ground. Then I bought a three way manifold with a shut off valve. I attach the galley hose before the slide goes out and attached it to the up side of the shut off valve. Then I close the shut off valve and open the galley valve before putting out the slide. Then I connect the hose from the black water/shower valve to the second port on the manifold and a hose to the dump hole to the third. Then I open the valve that stops the galley drain and leave it open. When I want to empty my blackwater and shower tanks, I simple close the valve for the galley drain (on the manifold) and dump as usual . When done, close the black/shower valves and reopen the galley valve at the manifold. Simple, inexpensive and requires no rebuilding. The three way manifold is available at every RV dealers.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #13

2nd Dump Valve Position

I own a 2004 Georgetown 370 TS with bath-and-a-half. That results in two sets of grey and black water tanks. The outlet for the kitchen and 1/2 bath black and grey tanks is forward of the rear axle and the outlet for the rear bath black and grey tanks is at the backend of the MH. I bought it new and so have had it for going on 11 years now. I ultimately decided that there was neither benefit nor utility to connecting both outlet valves via a "Y" connection to a single dump station. No time would be saved in either case as I'd have to hook up and disconnect at the two outlets no matter how I did it, and with the two hose, "Y" connector setup, ID have to figure out storage for 2x the amount of hose I'd otherwise have with a single hookup setup. The other thing to consider is that to be able to setup two hose connections, you'd have to be able to position the RV just right with the dump station to permit your hook-ups. That isn't always the easiest thing to do. So I would advise to not get all wrapped around the axel on how to hook up both outlets at your site. Go with a single hookup setup and transfer the hose from front to back to empty all your tanks. It's a lot simpler that way, cheaper, and less time consuming.
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #14

Funny thing I got the wye for the gorilla hoses it says dump two hoses into one drain but neglected to say you need a 3 hose because the wye won't connect to the in ground elbow? Advertise it right for once.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Just a lot simpler to have one common discharge and forget the wyes.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
I own a 2004 Georgetown 370 TS with bath-and-a-half. That results in two sets of grey and black water tanks. The outlet for the kitchen and 1/2 bath black and grey tanks is forward of the rear axle and the outlet for the rear bath black and grey tanks is at the backend of the MH. I bought it new and so have had it for going on 11 years now. I ultimately decided that there was neither benefit nor utility to connecting both outlet valves via a "Y" connection to a single dump station. No time would be saved in either case as I'd have to hook up and disconnect at the two outlets no matter how I did it, and with the two hose, "Y" connector setup, ID have to figure out storage for 2x the amount of hose I'd otherwise have with a single hookup setup. The other thing to consider is that to be able to setup two hose connections, you'd have to be able to position the RV just right with the dump station to permit your hook-ups. That isn't always the easiest thing to do. So I would advise to not get all wrapped around the axel on how to hook up both outlets at your site. Go with a single hookup setup and transfer the hose from front to back to empty all your tanks. It's a lot simpler that way, cheaper, and less time consuming.
This is fine if you are at a dump station but is hooked up for a longer term and the second valve is under the slide out you have several choices
1Pull in slide so valve is easy to reach
2: crawl under the trailer to reach valve
3:try to make a longer handle for the dump valve (still have to have a second hose or crawl under slide.
4: have second hose with a wyes and second shut off at wye (this is the easiest way that I could find)
4:
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #17

My Phoenix 28BH has the 2nd Grey valve for the outdoor kitchen in the rear, but mine is behind my slide, not under it. It did present a challenge for me the first time I used it because my forward Black/Grey valve is near the front and my hoses wouldn't reach from where I parked. I have done the laziest thing of all... I dump the front black and grey, then disconnect and reconnect to the back grey and dump it using the same hose. I have to ensure that I park equal distance from both valves to the inlet in the ground now.
TrailAir Rota-Flex Pin Box
Dan'l Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:43 AM   #18

I also have a valve under the long slide, however I learned to dump this tank before setting up. Because it only services the kitchen sink I haven't had any issues with doing it this way.
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rv View Post
I also have a valve under the long slide, however I learned to dump this tank before setting up. Because it only services the kitchen sink I haven't had any issues with doing it this way.
Just curious why you dump before setting up vs. after tearing down. Wouldn't you want to empty the tank for towing?
tmhudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #20
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac8253 View Post
That said I would be at three disconnects and reconnects and there's crawling under the slide(s), and allowing for the continuous drain(s) grey tanks. Wow!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water