Old 11-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Brake is on left

How cold is too cold?

We will be taking the rig to visit the daughter kid at college next weekend. The worst forecasted lows are in the high teens at night. Daytime temps in the 50s. Everything is fully winterized now but I had planned on dewinterizing and going with a load of water. Now I am second guessing that since the belly is open and the fresh water line is obviously exposed. I'm not concerned about the tanks due to the volume but the little 3/4 inch (or whatever) fresh water line worries me a little. I know the temp gradually drops through the night so it is not like it will be below freezing for 12 hours but still.... 18 degrees.
Any of y'all have experience in temps like this? Should I just leave it winterized and use bottled water for cooking/ cleaning/ commode? Advice is appreciated. We have never gone out in these temps.

The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #2

Sounds like you have zero winter protection for your water system

Hit your local Walmart or Outdoor Store and pick up a couple of 5-gallon camping water carrying "bags". They're cube shaped and have a faucet type spout on them. Fill with water from your house and transport sitting in tub/shower. When needed they sit nicely on a counter next to the kitchen sink or vanity in bath.

I had blown out my water system until I planned on hitting the road after Christmas. Daughter called and asked me to "Dog Sit" for a couple days. Sitting in my TT as I write this with one of those "water bag/cubes" sitting next to my sink on the counter and I use it for hand washing, drinking, cooking, etc.

Water came from home so I know it's safe to drink and when finished I'll just drain the bag, collapse it flat, and store it for when I boondock and need to transport water. I have 12 of them

A tip: Put a large bowl in the sink when washing hands, etc. Pour water collected in bowl into a pail and keep it in the bathroom for toilet flushing purposes. Will make supply go farther if a faucet is not readily available.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
Brake is on left

That isnt a bad idea, though we have a plethora of 2.5 gallon jugs we keep for emergencies. Good idea on re proposing gray water for flushing the commode.
I had done a little research and found that it takes about 3.5 hours for ice cubes to form in a tray put in the freezer (-2 degrees). So I'm thinking it just may be ok. If it takes 3 hours at -2 then 6 or 7 hours at an average of 25 ahould be fine. That is provided no one gets up in the middle of the night to use the head. That will move warmer water from the tank to the lines. Decisions decisions. I could go crazy and fill a poly tube with water and put it in the freezer for a couple hours and see. Lol.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote