Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2022, 08:19 AM   #21

RV length

I agree with Bob above.
Being confused about this measurement, I ask a local Dealer Service Technician of 30 plus years experience. I was asking about TT.
His response was there simply isn't a standard. He said it is all about marketing, and not a standard. He said that even the same mfg will change their measurements from year to year, and said it was all about marketing and what the market was looking for in any particular year.
Great, just one more reason for me to be confused.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:36 AM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I agree with Bob above.
Being confused about this measurement, I ask a local Dealer Service Technician of 30 plus years experience. I was asking about TT.
His response was there simply isn't a standard. He said it is all about marketing, and not a standard. He said that even the same mfg will change their measurements from year to year, and said it was all about marketing and what the market was looking for in any particular year.
Don't be confused. From what I've seen, Forest River specs are pretty consistent with length being from bumper to ball on TT's. Sometimes I've see 'box' length as well, which is....you guessed it....the length of the 'box'.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:14 AM   #23
Kanadian Kamper

It’s up to the manufacturer I guess.

I had a motorhome with a model designation of 330TS…..meaning 33’ triple slide.
The living area inside from the back wall to the dash was 33’.
However, if you were trying to park it between trees, it was 35’ BUMPER TO BUMPER.

I guess they decided the 2 feet difference was the engine compartment.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:37 AM   #24
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
Opening with "My dealer says", automatically indicates a low probability of any truth being forthcoming.
No need for you to fret. My dealer is a retired USAF Fighter Pilot, a fellow VFW Member, and a personal friend of mine. We have done fly-in hunts together and I would trust my life with him. Any time I need help with a problem on my TT, he's only a phone call away.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #25

Thumbs up How to measure a trailer

I measured ours yesterday. I have a laser measuring instrument that makes this very easy and quite accurate.

Inside, rear window to the front wall; 27' 3"
Outside, ball to rear bumper; 30' 6"

The model is a 253RLXL Wildwood. When making reservations for sites, as I did last evening, I always choose 30 ft. Guess that's close enough.

I figure inside numbers a "bragging numbers" and the outside numbers are what is needed to book a site.

Bob, K4TAX
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:10 PM   #26

I'm going to say - it's whatever they want it to be. We have a 2018 LaCrosse Luxury Lite 325REB. No idea what the 325 means in the model number.

Specs say it's about 37.5' (based on 2017 specs - while a 2018 "model", it is based on the 2017 model apparently).

However, sitting by my 40' shop, coupler to rear bumper - it's right at 40' - as long as the shop. I've been meaning to go out and measure the box, which I'm assuming is somewhere near 36-37' or a bit more, just haven't yet.

When I specify the trailer length for a reservation, or am searching for a spot to camp in, I ALWAYS specify/search for 40-42'. Campgrounds seem to have more generous tape measures than the rest of us seem to have.

Just because the site is supposed to "handle" something up to 40' long, doesn't mean that the rear of the site doesn't slope down quite a bit. Tires are fine, but by the time you level it, you've got the rear stablizers out to the max, and blocked - and the fronts are out only halfway (happens more in mountainous areas). You can level it, but.....

That means you don't get the full size, need to crowd the front of the site (I didn't have enough blocking for the rear stabs), leaving a lot less room to park your truck.

So - how do they measure? Just go out and do it yourself is the best bet.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...ic154394_1.gif
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrwd View Post
I'm going to say - it's whatever they want it to be. We have a 2018 LaCrosse Luxury Lite 325REB. No idea what the 325 means in the model number.

Specs say it's about 37.5' (based on 2017 specs - while a 2018 "model", it is based on the 2017 model apparently).

However, sitting by my 40' shop, coupler to rear bumper - it's right at 40' - as long as the shop. I've been meaning to go out and measure the box, which I'm assuming is somewhere near 36-37' or a bit more, just haven't yet.

When I specify the trailer length for a reservation, or am searching for a spot to camp in, I ALWAYS specify/search for 40-42'. Campgrounds seem to have more generous tape measures than the rest of us seem to have.

Just because the site is supposed to "handle" something up to 40' long, doesn't mean that the rear of the site doesn't slope down quite a bit. Tires are fine, but by the time you level it, you've got the rear stablizers out to the max, and blocked - and the fronts are out only halfway (happens more in mountainous areas). You can level it, but.....

That means you don't get the full size, need to crowd the front of the site (I didn't have enough blocking for the rear stabs), leaving a lot less room to park your truck.

So - how do they measure? Just go out and do it yourself is the best bet.
Well, that shop measurement is likely, and usually is, outside dimensions. Just sayin'.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Well, that shop measurement is likely, and usually is, outside dimensions. Just sayin'.
Yes - it is. Trailer parks beside it. And I built the shop, so I know how big it is.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:22 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
I agree with Bob above.

THIS!!!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:34 PM   #30

yeah - like getting schematics for the wiring in the trailer. Block schematics are "ok", but aren't correct at times. But you want to know WHERE that wire is in the wall. Uh, guess?

Generally will follow a pattern - but then sometimes they don't.

Want to know what they put IN your trailer (heat, fridge, water heater, etc) - open up compartments and CHECK IT YOURSELF. They could have changed between brands bcz they ran out of one, or couldn't get Atwood, for instance, in time to push more trailers out, etc. Especially these last couple of years with shortages and supply problems.

I'm pretty sure that the interior walls in my trailer have aluminum or thin steel studs in them - not wood - but who knows? I'm not going to take the wall down to find out. Just one of those "fun" and frustrating aspects of owning a trailer, and doing your own maintenance (I don't trust the workers at the dealer to find it with both hands at times - sorry if you work at a dealer in service - but the dealer I deal with is "shaky") Hence, I do EVERYTHING I can myself.

Meanwhile - I build my OWN manual on MY trailer as I go through things. And I suggest everyone else do the same. What you get with your trailer is a manual with a 20,000 foot overview. Open up compartments, take the panels off that have "things" behind them - find out what's there, what brand and model, etc.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:27 PM   #31
AKC

Quote:

Yeah, just great.

I have to say, I really thought there would be a simple answer to my question this time. Ha ha ha.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC View Post

Yeah, just great.

I have to say, I really thought there would be a simple answer to my question this time. Ha ha ha.
OK. Let's see. aha! A travel trailer is measured with a tape rule, inch by inch, from point A to point B whatever they may be!
Old 03-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #33

trailer length

It depends on who you talk to DOT goes tip to tip. Manufacturer seem vary. Their goose/fifth wheel units are back of bumper to tip of nose (so they say). Model numbers do not seem to relate to length but their spec sheets give it.
Lenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #34

I just measured my FR 5th wheel, 8528RK, 28' Rear Kitchen. Back of box to front of box outside is a bit over 29'. 30' to the pin. So I guess 28' inside would apply to mine.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:04 PM   #35

I once bought a "27 foot" Toyhauler online from a dealer but when it showed up it wasn't the 27 foot box I had wanted thanks to a series of unfortunate events. Their website had their contact buttons about the trailers stacked where when you click on the button you were inquiring about the trailer above it (or possibly below; can't recall) and not the one it looks like it would be for. And then when the salesman and I were talking about "27 foot" they were referring to overall length and I was referring to the box size/model number. Even the price was almost the same for the two. But by the time all this was figured out it was being pulled into my driveway (from 10 hours away) and all the paperwork was signed (via FedEx). So I ended up with a trailer I didn't want (couldn't even really use) for a few weeks while they figured out how to make the numbers work for both of us on trading in on the trailer I actually wanted. In the end I paid a little more than I wanted too but wasn't too bad all things considered.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:17 PM   #36

Good point. go big when booking the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
We found out our 3029 Windjammer wasn't 30 feet long when we tried to park it in a 32 foot campsite. It is 35 feet long back bumper to front v nose. Maybe without the front v it is 30 feet inside.
When I was sailing and paying slip fees by the foot I never admitted to bow and stern pulpits. With my TT I measure ball to bike rack and a couple feet more. No point in sticking out in the road. Hope they never start charging by the foot.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Opening with "My dealer says", automatically indicates a low probability of any truth being forthcoming.
What a helpful post.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:48 PM   #38

Sometimes serendipity (almost) happens.
My MiniLite is a model 2104.
It measures 21'08" from ball to rear bumper.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #39

The body of my Roo 23SS is roughly 18 feet long -- so much for having a 23-footer! With the beds out it's roughly 30 feet which is how I make campsite reservations. Measured for indoor storage, though it's darn near 24 feet and I pay for that by the foot!

Like cartridge calibers the numbers are close but just designations, not measurements.

-- Chuck
Old 03-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #40

I just measured my Mini Lite model 2109. It is 21'9" bumper to hitch, and the inside is 19'...I always wondered....
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer