Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

How many have bought a new camper and have had no problems?

Most post when they have problems with new camper bu just wondering how many have bought a new camper and have had no problems? We purchase a new Flagstaff 5th wheel 3 yrs ago and the only problem was the AC vents would not stay open quick fix from dealer, We have had no issues at all. I admit i was worried after reading horror stories about problems others have had when they bought new campers So far so good!
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

We bought a new cedar creek we've had a few problems but nothing big but when you get something new you have to get the bugs worked out just enjoy your Rv.
Cowboy 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
DDC

I'll be surprised if you find anyone with NO faults as a matter of fact I would be totally shocked.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

It's like buying a new car or truck you always have to take them back for something if you have a good dealer and service it make a difference if the dealer doesn't care then you call the company.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
NELA

Haven't had our baby that long. Almost afraid to say anything...don't wanna jinx ourselves.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #6

7 Campers over 20+ years - Only 1 Camper with 0 problems.

We have had popups, travel trailers and now 5er....

The only camper we ever purchased new and had no problems with we bought from the Factor, ordered in Sept of 2001. We owned that Citation (Thor Mfg) for 12 years and had only to replace the roof due to a hail storm and normal wear/tear items like tires and brakes. Not one other failure.

All others were either used and problems pretty much worked out and our new 5er Cedar Creek has had a few very minor problems, but I considered it to be normal adjustments and real mfg defects (like blown LED light).
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Its a good question. Reminds me that we used to have a long thread for happy FR owners that was fun to read.

To answer the question, my current trailer was the only new one we've owned. Had several used ones prior to this. We've had few problems (ripped seam in the dinette cushion, wonky radio, and an LCI jack that failed). Nothing big. I think the small items are to be expected. The question might be "how many have bought a new trailer without major issues?" I'd be in that category.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #8

Yea we had one of our led light burn out but I called shady pines and they have one for us we're going to rockport tx in October and we're going to Texarkana tx for a week or two and have a few things done.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #9

20 years...pop-up, 2 travel trailers and yesterday we ordered our first 5th wheel toy hauler. No problems with first two...hoping the same with new 5thwheel. Yikes!
aallabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #10

We have had three new campers since Jan 2010, the first was a 30' Travel Trailer that had zero problems for the year we owned it. The second was a 5ver, that had so many major problems it stayed in the dealer's shop for over 8 months total before we traded it on our current unit after only 21 months. After 11 months, the Sandpiper has developed its first problem and has to go back to the dealer to repair a wall joint that is separating.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #11

Purchased our Crusader in March and put more than 3200 miles on it. We've experienced several problems, but fortunately, we have a good dealer.

Issues include: Hot water heater leaks, wet/damp cargo bay, inoperative water pump, delamination (top of) dinette slide, TV inop, radio/DVD player inop, warped cargo bay door, shoddy trimwork, and leveling system inconsistencies.

We purchased our Crusader because we believed Prime Time was a step above average, but the 295RST has been anything but trouble-free... Fortunately no major problems. The unit tends to spend lots of time back at the dealership for warranty repairs, but they and Prime Time have been responsive to our needs. We hope to have what we, as experienced owners, consider minor annoyances ironed out within this first warranty year...

Personal observation: Quality control is a major problem within the RV industry, and engineering standards are haphazardly incorporated within the manufacturing process, regardless of brand. As owners of our sixth RV (Starcraft, Coachmen, Winnebago, Flagstaff, Keystone, and Prime Time), we've learned the hard way that there is no craftsmanship pride within the RV industry. You tend to get what rolls off the line by semiskilled assembly line workers on any given day. That, unfortunately, is a shame.
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #12

Our 2005 Rockwood was never back to the dealer in the 7 1/2 years we owned it.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #13

I haven't had my Mini that long or camped that many nights but so far so good. I'm very happy with my purchase at the 7 week mark. I camped for 4 days. (Such a newby I know)

I have checked and rechecked everything I could think of. All major components work great. No plumbing issues/leaks. It has been rained on severely and no obvious roof leaks. I towed it 450 miles and it towed well.

I can find flaws in almost everything if I look hard enough. Screen door doesnt open quite right yet, a couple screws fell out during ride home etc. Nothing to complain about in my opinion and nothing I cant fix. I love it!! Can't wait until September when I go on my next trip.

I am knocking on wood right now tho.......

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
NELA

We had a screw fall out (the bottom screw) on the striker plates on both doors this last trip. Odd, eh?

Fortunately our friends who were camping with us are well seasoned. He carries a small ziplock bag of screws. Fixed 'er right up he did!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy 54 View Post
It's like buying a new car or truck you always have to take them back for something if you have a good dealer and service it make a difference if the dealer doesn't care then you call the company.
I've had quite a fewcars that had no problems at all upon delivery. Not all of them, of course, but I can think of many that had excellent fit and finish and everything worked as it was supposed to.

On the vehicles that DID need attention, it has always been something small, and I have never had a problem getting a dealer to take care of a problem immediately.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #16

Guess we have been lucky.
2007 tundra, only return was a faulty fuel gauge indicator.
2010 Ford Fusion, never taken back to dealer
2011 Flagstaff 5vr, only return was to fix damage from blowout.
About 7000 miles of towing and about 150 nights.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
Wanna Be Camper

We have had a few minor things with our V-Lite over 4 years but never a show stopper. Our previous trailer had an issue with the lino floor the first winter (not uncommon around here apparently) as it buckled up pretty bad in a few areas but it was fixed very quickly by the dealer. Now our 08 Ram 2500 well that was a whole other kettle of fish, 42 trips in 25 months for warranty.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
Camper Less Camping

No major problems/repairs with all of our owned FR campers...always minor issues that I could take care of myself with most of the issues.

I have not tried another brand, though tempting, I like my run with FR & happy camping that comes with them

Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #19

We purchased a 2014 haritage glen lite 300bh in April. Have made 2 trips for a total of 900 miles. The only real problem we've had or found is on one of the slide outs. The tape or whatever it is is slightly loose and has a wrinkle in it. We've been through two major storms and it hasn't leaked. I'll take it back some day and get it corrected.
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #20

We bought our Roo 233s in June and have been on 3 trips. Each trip it has rained at least one day and guess what NO LEAKS. Shocking huh. ( I just screwed myself didn't I). We have a few little things that need to be fixed. So little I am the only one who noticed. So far our biggest issue was the dinette would not stay up. The dealer fixed that before I even took it home. My shower surround was put in crooked, which is annoying but does not really cause an issue. It would probably cause more of an issue if I had it fixed. All in all we love this camper!!!!!
Equalizer 12000

Campcation Days This Year: Not nearly enough!!!!
Campcation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper