Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #41

Ours is still in storage and so far these are things we have done-fairly minor compared to a lot of you.
1. JT Stabilizers going on this weekend
2. Pulled out bunks and installed desk
3. Bought several things like water filter, patio rug, solar panel for battery, some melamine dishes and plastic glasses (seems all I have are glass or china), queen size sheets (we have king and double beds in the sticks and bricks), some plastic drawers for bottoms of closets, lots of rolls of the no-slip cabinet liner, command strips,coffee pot to fit beside the stove, screen over furnace vent and couple buckets of damp rid.

To Do:
1. New tires--sidewall on one failed just before driver pulled into the storage area where rv is to be parked for awhile. Could be many reasons why this happened but not willing to risk it any further. Had spare put on so may need to buy a new aluminum rim depending on whether or not any damage was done to it
2. Surge protector-going with plug in right now but want to do permanent install soon
3. Slide toppers. Wanted these from rv dealership but they wanted $3200 for 4 toppers installed. That's just crazy
4. 2nd tv for the bedroom
5. Screen door protector to keep dogs from messing it up
6. Modular unit for the scrapbook room
7. Drawer dividers and slight altering of plastic drawers to open fully (at bottom of closets)

And I'm sure lots more between now and the week after Memorial Day which is when we hope to have our first adventure.
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #42

You have to keep in mind that most RVers don’t read or join Internet forums and of those that do join only a small percentage post on a regular basis. You are getting your information from the experience of a very small number of RVers.

I’ve been RVing since 2003 and I have always run on the tires that came with the trailer without any incident. I did discover a nail in one tire years ago and it was still holding pressure. I do replace tires every 4 years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. Currently I have over 19,000 miles on the “china bombs” that came with the Silverback and they still look great. OMG how can that be?

I’ve been exceeding the load limit of my trucks with the last two fifth wheels I’ve owned. Currently I’m way over my truck’s load limit. It was discovered at the Goshen rally last year that a wire had been cut (road debris) and the trailer brakes were only working on one axle. OMG, overloaded and the trailer brakes only working on one axle, how did I survive? Oh that’s right, the truck has properly working brakes.

I didn’t have a surge protector for the first two fifth wheels I owned and my trailers and appliances survived not only power surges but nearby lightning strikes also. OMG, how can this be? I currently have a surge protector but only use it periodically.

There is a ton of great advice on these and other forum but you have to remember to take all advice with a grain of salt.

Here's a pic of how close a bolt of lightning came to our trailer years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eaglepoint 002.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	72243  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #43

Oakman
Sounds like you & I think a lot alike. Made it for 20 years without all the fancy gadgetry, with the original tires & what ever TV we happened to own. That does not take away from all of the new technology & products; I think they can be very useful, but maybe not as necessary as we may think. I know I'm a little (probably a lot) old fashioned, but as much as I can, I like to use the KISS method for most things.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
Keep watch on the forum. Been RVing for 6 yrs. and just this week learned That using a Pizza Stone in my oven should keep the bottoms of my cakes and cookies from burning; it evens out the temp. Can't wait to get out there and give it a go. You learn things all the time here.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
If you are lucky, you can find one that fits perfectly (we did not & are happy we have a friend with a tile cutting machine )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bleu View Post
Yeah, I've heard that recommended, and will probably try it down the road. You might consider storing it outside the oven when travelling though to avoid having it break apart.
Never had a problem Old Bleu. How would/could it break?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #45

Camping buddy watched a 'new' Class A get fried from the inside out when the owner didn't plug in a surge protector. Turned out recent work on the CG power post was faulty. Interior of the rig had that faint acrid smell of too hot or cooked wiring; major long term concerns...never heard the final cost--but obviously less than the surge protector. I don't hook up without it; new programs in protector tests all circuits with an okay beep and green light before any park power goes into rig.
Yanked the too small, hidden behind a cabinet, hard to access on-board water filter and replaced with a straight bypass. Then went with twin, household sized filters on their own rack-outside. Less possibility of water accident inside the rig and much easier to do all that work, laying down in the rig, while in storage than in some remote campground.
65 days in campgrounds last year and we went through 2 sets of little old water filters; new ones are much bigger, two sizes of filter media, and doing a great job, so far. We got a good deal on the external filter from a vendor at Goshin Rally last year. Just a couple more good reasons to go Rally

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Oakman
Sounds like you & I think a lot alike. Made it for 20 years without all the fancy gadgetry, with the original tires & what ever TV we happened to own. That does not take away from all of the new technology & products; I think they can be very useful, but maybe not as necessary as we may think. I know I'm a little (probably a lot) old fashioned, but as much as I can, I like to use the KISS method for most things.
Me too, don't believe in all the mods, keep 'em strictly factory stock!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Me too, don't believe in all the mods, keep 'em strictly factory stock!

Hahaha - now that's funny right there ⬆️⬆️⬆️
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #48

Progressive surge on trailer alerted me to broken ground in the house, when it was plugged in and shut off power to trailer. Ground fault on house did not trip. Trailer had current on the skin, when I removed surge protector from the line. Surge protector may already have paid for itself.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #49

Send a message via AIM to B and B
How many people have surge suppressor on their house/home? I have one for my trailer now just in case, more so for congested RV parks than our regular parks. I don't have TMPS but I check Pressure and shoot the tires, hub, TV tires with a temp gun when we stop.I won a back up camera at Goshen. I did spend on LT Tires but no air bags as the truck runs level. Like Oakman I am running overweight on my truck, depends on which system you use for calculating loaded weight. I have D GY Marathns on my trailer.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #50

Oak man your first post was hilarious
Love it. I think we are programmed to worry to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ugaoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
You have to keep in mind that most RVers don’t read or join Internet forums and of those that do join only a small percentage post on a regular basis. You are getting your information from the experience of a very small number of RVers.

I’ve been RVing since 2003 and I have always run on the tires that came with the trailer without any incident. I did discover a nail in one tire years ago and it was still holding pressure. I do replace tires every 4 years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. Currently I have over 19,000 miles on the “china bombs” that came with the Silverback and they still look great. OMG how can that be?

I’ve been exceeding the load limit of my trucks with the last two fifth wheels I’ve owned. Currently I’m way over my truck’s load limit. It was discovered at the Goshen rally last year that a wire had been cut (road debris) and the trailer brakes were only working on one axle. OMG, overloaded and the trailer brakes only working on one axle, how did I survive? Oh that’s right, the truck has properly working brakes.

I didn’t have a surge protector for the first two fifth wheels I owned and my trailers and appliances survived not only power surges but nearby lightning strikes also. OMG, how can this be? I currently have a surge protector but only use it periodically.

There is a ton of great advice on these and other forum but you have to remember to take all advice with a grain of salt.

Here's a pic of how close a bolt of lightning came to our trailer years ago.
Me too I should be long gone.........When I was a kid I rode in my parents 57 Plymouth back window tray....... what were seat belts??? Her name was not Christine either but I did have a girlfriend by that name..... my first camper did not have working electric brakes (did not know any better) Our 76 Ford F150 stopped it fine even in DC traffic......... & I am still here ..... The second camper an 1988 had P rated tires Whaaaaaaatt?????? pulled it with a conversion that sitting empty was at 100 lbs under max. capacity. With me in it it was overloaded (glad the weight police weren't around) with the wife boys & dog & stuff it was at least 500 lbs over then ya add the camper...........I should be in jail................... I now have 5 trailers with a total of 16 china bombs on them all ....No blow outs ever but a nuclear blast should be here any minute.......... Never have a power awning don't want one but I did rescue a guy that got his arm caught in his manual awning arm...... he was in serious pain......... I like the Kiss principal.....the simpler the better. Would rather leave the internet & phones home...... & I like my phone dumb..... hated it when they put cameras in them....... Things were so much simpler with the old campers I keep forgetting that the water heater has an electric side It our first one with both.....

Lightening hit a tree on the in laws farm wish I had a camera that day it was only toothpicks left afterwards............

Enjoy

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote