Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Is it just me?

Is it just me or does everyone read all the horror stories on the forum and end up modifying and upgrading their new travel trailers?
For example:
Forest River puts China bombs tires on their TT.
So I ended up buying Tire Minders thinking problem solved, I will be alerted when something goes wrong. Then I read that the tire tread separated causing damage to TT, but the tire stayed inflated the TPMS didn't sound off.
So now I’m thinking, Do I need to replace all my new factory china bomb tires with Maxxis 8008 (read on the forum they are the best).

FR1 water filters canister unscrews and will flood your TT. Got to get that gremlin filter system out and bypassed it before it happens to me. (On the, to do list).

I read about electrical problems in RV parks. Low Voltage, High Voltage, Spikes so on so forth. Now a Progressive EMS_HW50C is on the, to do list.

The list goes on and on, when am I going to find the time to enjoy my new TT?
I wonder if the china bombs will make it to my destination and once there will you wake up with a flooded TT when the gremlins unscrew the FR1 water filter and will there be an electrical voltage problem?

I know Forest River is in business to make money, but I would not have any problem paying more for a TT that had good quality tires, a water filter that doesn't fail and electrical protection right out of the factory.

Then I have all the extras that I must have.

I read about the cautions on jacking to change a tire with Dexter Torflex axles. So I purchased an Andersen Rapid Jack, later read they won’t work on the Dexter Torflex and will damage the axles, but some say the Rapid Jack works great. So, I also bought a bottle jack. At least I’m covered whichever way I decide to jack the TT to change a tire when the china bombs explode. Must mention that Forest River has no instruction on jacking points to change a tire. At least the car manufactures show you the jacking points.

UV and storm damage, should I cover my TT, so I installed a fully enclosed 12 ft walls 24 ft x 40 ft RV carport.

TT’s over 26 ft requires 2 sway bars. My 35 ft TT only has one on the right-hand side. Getting a left-hand one ordered in a few days. So another on the, to do list.

Then we have the TT rocking when someone is walking around in it. Read the best way to stop this is don’t walk around, just joking. Read that the expensive JT Strong Arm Stabilizers do work. I've also read that a pair of X-Chock between the tires helps eliminate some of the rocking, so I opted for X-Chocks. Haven’t tried them out yet, still have my to do list to complete.

Wireless Rear camera for TT, been doing research for months, no conclusion yet. My TT does have the Furrion housing, but I read that the Furrion’s are junk and expensive.. Best is the Voyager, but they have a very hefty price tag for a camera setup IMO. Will likely mount something on the Furrion housing and utilize the power that's already there. I just don't know what I will get yet.

I’m just beginning to scratch the surface, but getting tired of typing and thinking…… So I’m stopping here…..

In closing, this Forestriver forum is awesome with fantastic people and great advice. I appreciate all of the advice that I've received and hope to continue receiving. Our Rockwood Windjammer is a totally awesome TT, just wish Forest River would read these forums and realize they need to do better. They could easily be a world class company and out do all of the competition.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

👍 i totally agree with your observations also

We are all doomed for owning an RV if you do not have the right this or that and the right truck too of course

Its all good advice and we are free to choose what we want - almost 20 years of pulling fifth wheels and some of these issues I never heard of before reading this forum

Dumb luck? Maybe so...
Probably just jinxed ourselves now 😃
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

You need to remember that no one is forcing you to do or buy anything. Most of us have had enough experience to know what we like that you can't buy on ANY brand rv.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Yes, we've spent a lot on prevention. The surge suppressor has paid for itself over the years. We've had a TPMS for years and its warned me once that I can remember.

As for the China bombs, on the last fiver we had them and I was advised to replace them at 1 year. I did not and it was shortly one year that three of the tires "popped" over a period of two weeks. I was lucky they caused no damage and we did replace them then.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

How about all of the people that have either no issues or minor ones that never post anything about it. We are real good at complaining when things don't go just right, but are slow to do so when everything is OK. I myself am on my 4th RV & have had very few issues, just some very minor warranty things. I would like to say that I have enjoyed everything about RVing even with the little problems that are just going to pop up. So gas hog, lets just enjoy & not get wrapped up in what I like to call "hunting buggers." Look hard enough & you're bound to find some.

P.S. I do appreciate ALL of the info available here on FRF; Thanks to all of you.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #6

Gas Hog! I am right there with you. We've had nearly all the problems you worry about...

Original China bomb blew on our maiden voyage. Tore out all my black water piping and valves. $100.00 for all new pipes and valves. Immediately went to Firestone and had all tires replaced. Around $600 more. Plus $250 for a 507 TPMS system! All said...that first trip cost me nearly $1,000.00! ��

Later, my filter unscrewed itself... FLOOD,

But, I wouldn't trade the fun we've had in spite of those things. DW and I waited way too long to get into camping...nearly 50 when we bought our Rockwood. But, I've learned a lot and with the help from folks like Turbs, Old Coot and Phrank (whom we'll all miss here), we've survived our own inexperience and absolutely love doing this.

After all that...it was worth it to us! Safe travels and have lots of fun!

Darren
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Just remember, if we didn't have this forum, we wouldn't have this wealth of info to do such mods to make things better. The list the OP made is just a few of the things we do to a new rig before it leaves on the first trip. Expensive, yes, worth it, yes.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #8

I will say again, We totally love our Windjammer. If a bolt of lightening came down from the heavens and blew it up, I would replace it with the same identical one. Just saying wish Forest River would take more pride. It's likely just me, being a Boeing 737 Manufacturing Engineer 40 years and still going. When putting human life's in the air it their safety that comes first.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You need to remember that no one is forcing you to do or buy anything. Most of us have had enough experience to know what we like that you can't buy on ANY brand rv.
But are they not considered all the same.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

This is a great post. I feel the same way - so many things that I have to think about and weight the cost versus benefit. I will say that I took the advice on getting the EMS power monitor. I've had two previous RVs and never really thought about power monitors. Each one developed odd electrical problems that I'm now attributing to all of the funky power fluctuations we experienced and were unprotected from over time.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

When I toured the Wildcat plant Chris talked about the add ons that we all want on our RV. He admitted that it's all about the biggest bling for the dollar. Fire place, seating, big frig., sq. ft., entertainment section, and so on that meets the eye seems important . Not everyone thinks they need JT Strongs, surge protector, new mattress, a second AC, better tires and other toys until you start using the RV. So if $5,000-10,000 were added to the price of the RV to get the rest of the items you wanted, would you pay for this up front?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:05 AM   #12

I apologize if my previous post sounded like a slam. Like my P.S. said, I appreciate all the info you folks supply because of your experiences. My point is that there are is a lot good that goes unreported. I have never had a tire problem, a leak, an electrical problem, a plumbing problem & so on, & this is with 4 RV,s over about 15 years. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones. Hope I didn't jinx myself by saying this. Anyways, keep up the good info, I need all the help I can get.
Much Thanks
Old 03-25-2015, 03:24 AM   #13
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Is it just me or does everyone read all the horror stories on the forum and end up modifying and upgrading their new travel trailers?
It really ain't so bad...

Quote:
Forest River puts China bombs tires on their TT.
So I ended up buying Tire Minders thinking problem solved, I will be alerted when something goes wrong. Then I read that the tire tread separated causing damage to TT, but the tire stayed inflated the TPMS didn't sound off.
Four yrs and over 20K km on "Duro" China bombs. No TPMS or tire minders although they are inspected frequently.

Quote:
I read about electrical problems in RV parks. Low Voltage, High Voltage, Spikes so on so forth. Now a Progressive EMS_HW50C is on the, to do list.
Plenty of gadgets out there to check the power outlets at RV parks. We do it routinely and it only takes but a minute of so.

Quote:
The list goes on and on, when am I going to find the time to enjoy my new TT?
Just hook er up and go. Prepare yes but don't let the horror stories hold you back.

Quote:
I read about the cautions on jacking to change a tire with Dexter Torflex axles. So I purchased an Andersen Rapid Jack, later read they won’t work on the Dexter Torflex and will damage the axles, but some say the Rapid Jack works great. So, I also bought a bottle jack. At least I’m covered whichever way I decide to jack the TT to change a tire when the china bombs explode. Must mention that Forest River has no instruction on jacking points to change a tire. At least the car manufactures show you the jacking points.
The scissor jack that came with our Dodge pick-me-up is up to the task of changing a wheel on our TT, which sports ALKO axles comparable to the Dexter Torflex design. Done this on a busy thoroughfare where it was essential that I get the heck out the way... fast!

Quote:
UV and storm damage, should I cover my TT, so I installed a fully enclosed 12 ft walls 24 ft x 40 ft RV carport.
TT sits outside. Gets buried in snow every winter and endures the freezing hell of prairies. We account for that and while it does add to the maintenance, it's not so onerous as to have us considering other storage options.

Quote:
TT’s over 26 ft requires 2 sway bars. My 35 ft TT only has one on the right-hand side. Getting a left-hand one ordered in a few days. So another on the, to do list.
Consider a WDH system with integrated sway control i.e., Reese Dual Cam or Equal-i-zer.

Quote:
Then we have the TT rocking when someone is walking around in it. Read the best way to stop this is don’t walk around, just joking. Read that the expensive JT Strong Arm Stabilizers do work. I've also read that a pair of X-Chock between the tires helps eliminate some of the rocking, so I opted for X-Chocks. Haven’t tried them out yet, still have my to do list to complete.
X-Chocks work for us. We're 32 ft and sport the std Lippert stabilizers. The electric motors have long since bit the dust but no biggy, I can crank them down faster on a bad day than the motors ever could.

Quote:
Wireless Rear camera for TT, been doing research for months, no conclusion yet. My TT does have the Furrion housing, but I read that the Furrion’s are junk and expensive.. Best is the Voyager, but they have a very hefty price tag for a camera setup IMO. Will likely mount something on the Furrion housing and utilize the power that's already there. I just don't know what I will get yet.
All you need a traveling companion that can yell real loud!

Quote:
In closing, this Forestriver forum is awesome with fantastic people and great advice. I appreciate all of the advice that I've received and hope to continue receiving. Our Rockwood Windjammer is a totally awesome TT, just wish Forest River would read these forums and realize they need to do better. They could easily be a world class company and out do all of the competition.
You're bang on about the good folks on FRF!

Boeing's 737 is my favorite passenger jet - especially the 700 series. Doesn't take forever to get into or out of. Used to see the girls ready for acceptance at Boeing Field when I was rubbing shoulders with the T-33 guys down there.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:06 AM   #14

Just use common sense........ learn from others......... Use common sense

Planes fall out of the sky, cars / trucks crash, lightening strikes, a tornado can come along, eat this / don't eat that..... Do we all have a concrete box to live in ??????????????? (I know some of us do) If we watched the news & didn't know there was good out there too, we would all stay home.

You hear about the bad rarely the good All RVs, Cars, Houses etc have issues they all require maintenance, & there are things out there that can make RVing easier. Learn from others mistakes, bad luck, lack of knowledge or what ever............. But be careful the sky is falling........... Forest River does not have the corner on issues (other makes have the same issues)

Been RVing (guess now I can't call it camping anymore ) for 30 years, minor issues yes, major issues no...... but tomorrow who knows.....

Read the forums, ask for help decide what works for you .......

Tires my opinion is still out on that one, had the worst luck with Michelin tires but never had a China Bomb blow out on my five current trailers. Since I had bad luck on 3 sets of Michelin (all wore out in 20K each) I will never buy another set...... If the China tires blow out probably would be the same.....

Oh No do not let Chicken Little get you........... Learn from others issues, just figure out what works for you......... Use Common Sense & have fun.....

When we set up camp & take it down the DW says this is sure a lot of work to relax...... maybe so but we would not trade it for anything .....Seen a lot of things , met a lot of super people that we would have never seen any other way !!!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 AM   #15

Were going on our fourth year, over 6000 miles on our China bombs, Chinese wheel bearings, intact water filter, and no surge suppressor. I read most of the horror stories and take note, then factor in my own 25 years towing experience, take good care of my equipment then go enjoy our campouts.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #16

I did nothing to trailer for almost 3 yrs.....except I did put tpms on all tires, truck/trailer so I would not have to bend over and check each tire daily...I did buy a portable Surge gard...since incorrect voltage can cause cumulative damage to all systems....and that has paid for itself time and again....I did buy the product my deal used to clean/treat roof and do that twice a year. All other minor items were addressed by CW .... via FR.....no cost to me....once in CW puter you do nothing but take it in and they work with FR.....tire made it almost 3 yrs as I noticed one was just starting weather cracking next to bead so replaced all 4 with maxxis...at that time bearings had 8k on them and there was no wiggle at all on or off the ground.
So filling the hubs with red high temp grease must be working....original tires looked new and still had the nibs on them....never run over 60mph since I get best mileage at 56-58 mph....the info on the forum is excellent, but most issues are caused by folks exceeding operational limits of equipment...and rather than accept that we blame someone else.....plus think of all the RVs out there versus the few that post a problem....slow down whats the hurry your house is with you......and for me FR has been exceptional on taking care of anything that occurs ..... they have stood behind the unit I have over and above 100%.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #17

Appreciate the good reports kandl, indybp57, sail2liv & Oaklevel (that was more than 2 cents). We can worry our way right out of the enjoyment if we're not careful. Thanks folks; very, very good advice.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with you...some folks in here a little bit on the "alarmist" side but, like everything, we need to just take it with a grain of salt.

I have "China bombs" but don't stay awake at night thinking my doom is coming. (But just keep and eye on them.) I did buy a TPMS system for that very reason but, you know what, we should have a TPMS system not matter WHAT tires we have!!

I do have a few voltage check tools and, also, a water regulator because the more experienced campers amongst us gave good advise for them...and we should be appreciative!

Gotta go...I don't think my V-8 Tundra has enough power to pull my 6,000 pound trailer (I'm doomed according to the tow "experts" here) so looking at buying one of these:

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #19

Everyone, I am new to this and waiting for delivery on my first Camper(Sandpiper 371REBH) GASHOG was just thinking out loud and you are all liars if his thoughts have not crossed your mind...LOL
Jz5g52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #20

Well Jz5g52, I guess you just put me in my place.