Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #1

Is it OK to partially open slide just to get access for a few minutes?

Hi all, just recently took delivery of a new Sabre 37FBT Fifth wheel. One thing is when the living room slide-out on the door side is closed, it blocks off access to the rear of the camper. Is it OK to open up the slide just a couple feet so I can squeeze by and gain access? It's currently in storage and I can't open up the slides all the way without hooking up and pulling it out, and would be nice to get back there without always having to do that.

I see mixed stuff regarding doing this so I'm not really sure.
4OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Sure. But some slides may not tolerate sitting inside them, if not fully extended.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #3

I do it often in a Sabre 36bhq for the same reason. As Bikendan suggested, I avoid putting weight on the slide and only walk on the main floor. No issues so far.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:04 PM   #4

Ok thanks all, definitely don't plan on sitting or walking on the slide just want it open enough to slide by.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #5

And obviously don't leave it that way and avoid doing it in the rain because it isn't on the seals then.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #6

Folks often caution about walking on the edge of the slider, it may not be supported well and edges could break.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

What kind of slide?

I haven't looked recently but last I read the manual on the Schwintek slide, the recommendation was full out and full in, holding the button for 3 seconds at either end of travel to keep the motors synced.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What kind of slide?

I haven't looked recently but last I read the manual on the Schwintek slide, the recommendation was full out and full in, holding the button for 3 seconds at either end of travel to keep the motors synced.
We have a Schwintek slide and we have opened it partially many times, with no ill effects.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
Folks often caution about walking on the edge of the slider, it may not be supported well and edges could break.
I'll basically be playing "the slide floor is lava" when doing this, I just need to crack it open enough to get through and then I'll be walking on the main floor of the camper, I'll never be on the slide at all.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What kind of slide?

I have a large slide with the schwintek system. We do not hold the buttons for 3 seconds. When the slide stops moving I let off immediately. If I hold the buttons I hear sounds that could be wood creaking or screws being stressed. We just hold the button long enough for the slide to come to a full stop on both corners and let off. Rarely we open or close it partially for some reason but don't walk in it at those times.
Nearly 5 year old camper. Still working fine.
Darn the years are sure rolling by fast!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We have a Schwintek slide and we have opened it partially many times, with no ill effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I have a large slide with the schwintek system. We do not hold the buttons for 3 seconds. When the slide stops moving I let off immediately. If I hold the buttons I hear sounds that could be wood creaking or screws being stressed. We just hold the button long enough for the slide to come to a full stop on both corners and let off. Rarely we open or close it partially for some reason but don't walk in it at those times.
You guys certainly have more experience with the Schwinteks as I don't own one. Again, just going from what I read in the operation manual. Here's what I read in the manual. Many times real life experience is better.

Schwintek Slide Owners Manual

Operation
Extending Slide-out Room
1. Level the unit.
Note: In the case of a motorized unit, ignition MUST be off to operate the slide-out.
2. Verify the battery is fully charged and hooked up to the electrical system.
3. Remove the transit bars (if so equipped).
4. Press and hold the IN/OUT switch (Fig. 1B) in the OUT position until the room is fully extended and stops moving.
NOTE: It is important to continue to press the slide-out switch for a few seconds after the room is fully extended until the motor shuts off. The control will sense that the room has stopped and will shut off the motor after a few seconds.
5. Release the switch, which will lock the room into position.

Retracting Slide-out Room
Note: In the case of a motorized unit, ignition MUST be off to operate the slide-out.
1. Verify the battery is fully charged and hooked-up to the electrical system.
2. Press and hold the IN/OUT switch (Fig. 1A) in the IN position until the room is fully retracted and stops moving.
NOTE: It is important to continue to press the slide-out switch for a few seconds after the room is fully retracted until the motor shuts off. The control will sense that the room has stopped and will shut off the motor after a few seconds.
3. Release the switch, which will lock the room into position.
4. Install the transit bars (if so equipped).
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #12
Camper God

I opted for no slideouts in my new camper. My last one showed just how much of a PITA they are. Yes, it's a bit more cramped inside but well worth it IMO.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
RCAF VET

We often open a slide partially to get in the back, I am not sure if it is a good thing because as someone suggested the sides don't come up to the seals, the seals on the sides and top may not unfold correctly and when you bring it back in they may curl and not sit right, it's just something to watch for. It is best if at all possible to go the full out and back in when done, of course being relatively level front to rear is desirable if not essential. Big slides don't like to be operated on uneven surface, they may bind and get out of alignment.
2011 Super Duty F-250
2015 Crusader 294 RLT
bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #14

I had problems with a Schwintek slide in my last TT. It would start moving on it's own! It seemed to be OK after running the slide in and out, and holding the switch down at both positions. We never stopped the slide in mid travel after that!
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
5Picker shared good info. Part of what you're hearing are the motors synchronizing. I'm surprised that with partial extending and not holding the motors that you haven't had issues. These Schwintek slides are fragile.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #16

I open mine all the time to access the frig. Full open my slide will go out 30 inches. If I move it about 6-8 inches I can squeeze by. I don't get on the slide out.

Once at a Walmart I forgot to close it until I was several miles down the road. There were no issues presumably because I only had it open about 20-25% of the way.

My slide out contains the dinette only. No heavy refrigerator that some may have. Your situation may differ.

My brother has a different brand TT, his slide has the frig and he has had some problems with it. He never moves the slide unless the camper is setup level with the stabilizers down.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
I open mine all the time to access the frig. Full open my slide will go out 30 inches. If I move it about 6-8 inches I can squeeze by. I don't get on the slide out.

Once at a Walmart I forgot to close it until I was several miles down the road. There were no issues presumably because I only had it open about 20-25% of the way.

My slide out contains the dinette only. No heavy refrigerator that some may have. Your situation may differ.

My brother has a different brand TT, his slide has the frig and he has had some problems with it. He never moves the slide unless the camper is setup level with the stabilizers down.
This slide has the dinette and a not too heavy small couch on it, so it's a bit heavier but still not mcuh. I really don't plan on moving it out much, and I could just hook it up and pull forward and then put the levellers back down and then put everything out. Which is what I'll probably normally do when I'm working on it.

It's just new right now so I'm doing small little things that aren't taking much time, like today I just wanted to get the manuals out of it, which were in the back kitchen, so I had to open the slide just a bit to get to it. But normally I would be putting the slide all the way out.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
5Picker shared good info. Part of what you're hearing are the motors synchronizing. I'm surprised that with partial extending and not holding the motors that you haven't had issues. These Schwintek slides are fragile.
5 years no issues except a motor sensor died in the 1st year and was replaced under warranty.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #19

We open our kitchen slide part way to access the fridge which goes up against the island. No problems. I try not to store it partially open, but occasionally it will spend some time half way open in the barn. There's not room to open it all the way. Still not an issue. We don't sit in there, and generally the kitchen slide is not loaded, we just do it for access.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #20

Just to avoid a nasty surprise, you might want to consider hooking up and pulling it out so that you have enough room on that side to fully extend the slide. Then try partially opening it.

You should be able to partially extend the side, but if the slide fully extends when there is not enough room, it would not be good.
Test it first to make certain it works.

Tags
slide