Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #1

Lightbulb It worked! Cascade in the holding tanks

I knew that I had to do something to get both tanks clean after dumping to come home yesterday. I dumped, then put in several gallon of fresh water and added several "tabs" of Cascade to the tanks. I'd been having trouble with the black tank always saying it was 2/3 when I knew for a fact that it was bone dry. WELL I'm happy to report that Cascade in the tanks WORKS VERY WELL! Drove the 30+ miles to the house and emptied tanks again. Clean as a whistle!

I'm hoping that the Cascade didn't damage anything, I mean it is what I use to clean my dishes (china and plastic) so I figured it wouldn't hurt the plastic in the holding tanks being in there no longer than what it was.

I'd never seen where anyone else had ever used it to clean. If they had I had missed the post about it.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #2

Thanks for the report, skeeter.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

What! NO Pictures?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #4

Iggy.... next time JUST for you I'll do better than just having pictures.... I'll do VIDEO!

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 08-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
Iggy.... next time JUST for you I'll do better than just having pictures.... I'll do VIDEO!

Real talkie's?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #6

Yuck
Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #7
MrT

The popular "Finding Calgon" thread sort of asked the question as to whether dishwasher tabs might be a suitable substitute for Calgon and/or detergent mix. It seems the question might be answered here.

I'd still be interested to know if the chemical makeup of Cascade or like products are 1) Effective at controlling odors, and 2) Safe for tank level sensors.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
The popular "Finding Calgon" thread sort of asked the question as to whether dishwasher tabs might be a suitable substitute for Calgon and/or detergent mix. It seems the question might be answered here.

I'd still be interested to know if the chemical makeup of Cascade or like products are 1) Effective at controlling odors, and 2) Safe for tank level sensors.
Calgon just helps the other chemicals to work better. Many think it softens the water so the soap and detergents work better to break down the grease and crud. Here is a link to the FAQ for Calgon.
LINK TO FAQ

Dishwashing tablets have soap detergent and other things.
Do you want to experiment? What brand?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #9

I'll admit that I was a bit worried if using the Cascade would do any damage. BUT then I got to thinking, we all use plastic bowls and such and use Cascade to wash them with so.... Then too I was thinking of the time factor. I only had the Cascade IN my tank for about an hour+/-, and I did a complete rinse. I really didn't use it for the "smell" but more the "stuff" factor.

All I know for a fact is that before I used it my sensor on my black tank kept telling me it was 2/3 full when in fact it was either EMPTY or had very little in it. NOW it reads what is really in there. So the sensors must be clean now and reading correctly. May not make a habit of using it, but it sure did work wonders this time. But then again who knows, something else may have worked just as well if I had used it.

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
I'll admit that I was a bit worried if using the Cascade would do any damage. BUT then I got to thinking, we all use plastic bowls and such and use Cascade to wash them with so.... Then too I was thinking of the time factor. I only had the Cascade IN my tank for about an hour+/-, and I did a complete rinse. I really didn't use it for the "smell" but more the "stuff" factor.

All I know for a fact is that before I used it my sensor on my black tank kept telling me it was 2/3 full when in fact it was either EMPTY or had very little in it. NOW it reads what is really in there. So the sensors must be clean now and reading correctly. May not make a habit of using it, but it sure did work wonders this time. But then again who knows, something else may have worked just as well if I had used it.

And now your black tank is sparkling clean and has a minty fragrance.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
And now your black tank is sparkling clean and has a minty fragrance.

I think it was the Lemon scent! Lemon Poop! Just what everyone needs!

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Bill and Debbie

I have been having the same problem so I will give your solution a try. Thanks
william69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #13

We used 1 cup of powdered laundry detergent the same way and it worked great.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Iggy is right on

The water softener works WITH detergent to keep your tanks clean.

Yes, detergent (what ever brand of laundry or dish washer soap you use) will work by itself.
The water softener (whatever brand or type you use) just makes it work "faster and better."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #15

The black tank actually needs bacteria to work...same as a septic tank. If you kill the bugs w/detergents then you may have an issue with your black tank. Put some yeast or Ridx down the toilet...that will enhance your tanks performance.
Pappytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappytx View Post
The black tank actually needs bacteria to work...same as a septic tank. If you kill the bugs w/detergents then you may have an issue with your black tank. Put some yeast or Ridx down the toilet...that will enhance your tanks performance.

I think this would be true if the stuff stayed in there any length of time (like a septic tank). Bacteria (yeast is not a bacteria BTW; it is a single cell fungus and will not do what you think it will) and enzymes need time to work their magic to break down the urea and liquify the poo and paper.

I try to dump and flush regularly and never leave it partially filled for any length of time when in full hookups and always empty before parking in the driveway.

There are several chemical treatments that contain the correct bacteria and enzymes that are used in full sized septic systems available online.

http://www.accepta.com/biological-treatment/septic-tank-maintenance.asp

http://www.organicdigester.com/

http://www.microtack.com/html/drain_line_cleaner.htm
Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappytx View Post
I don't plan to keep my poop in the tank long enough for the "bugs" to do their thing. I'd rather have a sweet smelling, gauge working black tank. I try not to keep poop any longer than 72 hours (in my tank)! If I don't dump at the campground it is the first thing I do once I get home. I dump into city sewer and not a septic tank. While going through college, I worked with septic tanks (made and delivered them). Yes, for a septic tank, the bacteria is crucial, but in a holding tank, I disagree. The holding tank is just that, a holding tank. Once you dump, then the bacteria become important. I would think adding Ridex prior to dumping your tank may be helpful if you dump to a septic tank. Calgon, Cascade, laundry detergent, etc... are part of everyday use in a house and in moderate quantities should not do any harm to a septic tank. Poop is very important to proper septic tank digestion as it is the food that the bacteria live on. To much water, soaps and such and not enough poop the bacteria will die off and that is when Ridex becomes an important additive to your septic tank.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #18
camping

how about a "jet dry" chaser!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #19

If you clean out the bacteria in your black tank it will affect the way your tank works. I understand yeast is not a bacteria but they do eat it, it stimulates bacterial growth, and is good to ensure the health of your black tank. I suspect we all store our RV's for long periods so even if you drain the black tank every camping day you do not get all the gunk out, therefore you need the bacteria to breakdown the gunk that is still left. If there are no good bugs then you get the bad ones and the odor will be very offensive.

Septic tanks are significantly different in size than the small black tank and can accept some unfriendly detergents and not upset the bug balance. Look on packages and it will say what is septic friendly and talk to septic tank dealers and they will tell you to add a block yeast or Ridx.

My only point is, if you upset the balance of bacteria in your black tank by use of chemicals not friendly to them you may have a future odor problem.
Pappytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Still scratching my head about this yeast thing.

As a long time wine maker, I can tell you for fact that those guys eat sugar and poop ethyl alcohol. Now, I get tests every year to make sure there is no sugar in what I excrete and I am pretty sure my liver is taking care of the alcohol.

I can not for the life of me figure out what yeast will do in there.
I am always interested in learning something new. Help me out here.

Or tell me I am