Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #1

Keeping Toiletries in the RV

Hi Folks. This may sound like a silly question, but I just went shopping for trailer toiletries so here goes.

I'm thinking the beauty of moving to a travel trailer from a popup is that I can keep more things in the trailer between trips. The idea is that I want to only have to pack clothes and food and go. I will take toiletries out of the trailer over the winter, but will the heat hurt them when the trailer is not in use and therefore no a/c running? I'm thinking shampoos, deoderant or toothpaste. For example, will stick deoderant melt if left in the rv? I am in Southwestern Ontario where summer temps can reach mid to high 90'sF/mid 30'sC. What do other folks do?
jacqui583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

Has not hurt ours so far in 6 years. That's 365 days in Jersey.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #3

Thanks Deuce. I KNEW I was over thinking it! lol. I must just be anxious to get out there!
Old 08-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #4

Don't blame you. We have camped when it was 16 degrees over night.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

Except for food/drink/meds, we keep our Lexi fully stocked. Clothes, toiletries, ect all stay in the rig, year round. Only items wife has to bring is a bit of makeup.
Never had any problems with soaps, arm pit juice, shaving stuff, ect, going bad.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #6

Thanks Grumpy. I won't worry about it then; just load up the rig and then it's ready to go whenever we are
Old 08-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #7

We only take out food items. Had critters once in the RV. No food no critters since!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #8

When I was little and saw my sister putting on makeup,I asked her what are you doing?she replied hiding the ugly!my now grown daughter responds the same way when I see her applying makeup.family tradition I guess. ( no they dont need makeup)
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #9

Leave it loaded, we even started to leave cloths stored. The only thing that leaves to get is food and beverages.
If you leave the trailer on 120v to keep refer cold, you can store the items that might melt in the refer.
Ifightfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #10

Pretty much the only item I wouldn't leave inside in the summer heat is 'anywhere strike matches', if they are still around.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #11

Only one thing that the heat affects but still ok to use: Nozema. It gets liquidity.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
Only one thing that the heat affects but still ok to use: Nozema. It gets liquidity.
Good to know Dorrie; thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #13

We live in Arizona and we have had our liquid shampoos and body wash basically dry out in the on-wall dispenser, but those items in a closed bottle did much better.
Those dispensers are great, but a real pill to clean out when the contents have almost solidified.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
We live in Arizona and we have had our liquid shampoos and body wash basically dry out in the on-wall dispenser, but those items in a closed bottle did much better.
Those dispensers are great, but a real pill to clean out when the contents have almost solidified.
I was wondering about that, Sharon. I love those dispensers when on a cruise ship. I think I will use the regular bottles for now since we don't expect to use the trailer more than once a month.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Pretty much the only item I wouldn't leave inside in the summer heat is 'anywhere strike matches', if they are still around.
Funny you should say that. We've carried a couple boxes of those in our trailers for...at least 20 years now.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We leave ours in through the whole season, and generally we haven't had an issue. And since we're neighbours, we have the same temperature. (We live in Tecumseh. )

The only thing we do is I'll open the medicine cabinet when we pack up the trailer to see if any look like they're leaked. Never had an issue, but I like to check before I hit the road so I'm not stuck without something I expected to have.

I'm assuming you got it from Renaud? Shane sold us our old Flagstaff, and this current Surveyor when we upgraded.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
We leave ours in through the whole season, and generally we haven't had an issue. And since we're neighbours, we have the same temperature. (We live in Tecumseh. )

The only thing we do is I'll open the medicine cabinet when we pack up the trailer to see if any look like they're leaked. Never had an issue, but I like to check before I hit the road so I'm not stuck without something I expected to have.

I'm assuming you got it from Renaud? Shane sold us our old Flagstaff, and this current Surveyor when we upgraded.
Hi neighbour - I'm in Forest Glade so we really ARE neighbours! lol Yes Wayne at Renaud sold it to us. I have been really happy with the support we have received from them so far. A drawer broke loose and they had it in and fixed immediately.

I was thinking of putting shampoo and stuff into a big freezer bag in transit in case of any leaks. Just thinking a cap could pop open on a bumpy ride.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Except for food/drink/meds, we keep our Lexi fully stocked. Clothes, toiletries, ect all stay in the rig, year round. Only items wife has to bring is a bit of makeup.
Never had any problems with soaps, arm pit juice, shaving stuff, ect, going bad.
Grumpy
Ummmm..... How does that "Arm pit juice" taste???
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

A freezer bag might make them sweat though if you leave them in it all the time. We just had them in a couple of plastic bins. I think I have an old photo here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1880.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	183395

But we've never had an issue with them leaking on the road. Leaking when one of the kids puts it away without closing the cap, yes, but not from bouncing on the road.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #20

We have had shampoo leak when we forgot to take it out of the shower. It fell over sideways on the floor. Have not had anything leak in the medicine chest. We leave everything in our trailer until it runs out, just as at home. We live in north central Florida and have hot, humid weather in the summer. Out trailer is covered with a shade awning, so I don’t know how hot it gets inside, but suffice it to say, it probably gets hotter than yours would.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote