Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #21

Personal preference primarily, some folks swear by them (tripod) and some people swear at them. I used one for many years until we added additional jacks to the frame. I do like the fact that it prevents you from banging your head on the king pin and keeps the grease out of my hair. If you ever travel thru Nashville stop and pick up my steel tripod unit, if you like it then you can buy dinner.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #22

I too have a tri-pod that I have never used.Too big and heavy. Last year I found some strongarms complete in the sealed box with the install book,bolts,the whole deal for $15!I may put them on this spring but since I'm onl 5 weeks out of open heart,the doc may not think its such a good idea! He hasnt even released me to drive yet!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I too have a tri-pod that I have never used.Too big and heavy. Last year I found some strongarms complete in the sealed box with the install book,bolts,the whole deal for $15!I may put them on this spring but since I'm onl 5 weeks out of open heart,the doc may not think its such a good idea! He hasnt even released me to drive yet!

Well take it easy and relax no point trying to do more than you can, going back into the hospital will surely put a damper on camping, rest and enjoy, good luck to you ....[emoji41]⛺️
Old 04-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

After all the debate, I do have 2 tripods for sale. One Aluminum, one steel. Really don't need, now that I no longer have a trailer.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #25

5er tripod

I use one when I'm parked for a couple days when the washer/dryer is in use. It helps with the shaking when the washer is in spin mode.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to B and B
With a Reese Revolution hitch they do not work well, the hitch may move.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #27

We just tried this on a friend's rig who still has a tripod but doesn't usually use it.

Push sideways on the front corner without the tripod and notice the movement. Then install the tripod and do it again. Not a whole lot of difference. Our friend just gave it to the RV park volunteer. Didn't see the need to carry it around anymore
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We just tried this on a friend's rig who still has a tripod but doesn't usually use it.

Push sideways on the front corner without the tripod and notice the movement. Then install the tripod and do it again. Not a whole lot of difference. Our friend just gave it to the RV park volunteer. Didn't see the need to carry it around anymore
He didn't install it correctly then, because that's where it makes the biggest difference, at least it did in my case.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:56 AM   #29

Reading all this with interest.

But one item baffles me. If I hit my head on my kingpin while the trailer is on relatively level ground, I'd have to be about 3'4" tall.............maybe less if I have a big head.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
He didn't install it correctly then, because that's where it makes the biggest difference, at least it did in my case.
. I believe what most folks (including myself) are saying, is that of all the devices we have tried, the tripod is the least effective, and is a bigger pita than most. But if it works for you, that's good.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
. I believe what most folks (including myself) are saying, is that of all the devices we have tried, the tripod is the least effective, and is a bigger pita than most. But if it works for you, that's good.
Yep!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #32

The thing I see all the time with them is that they are not installed properly to stop side to side, forward and back, and bouncing motions in the cabover sections. Many people just put the legs any direction and expect that to do the trick. I do notice that my new rig is more stable in the front stands with the auto leveling than my old Montana. I like them for when we'll be in a location for awhile. Don't mess with it when we're just overnight.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #33

About the tripod- If you do it definitely go alum for the weight- bought 1 on amazon for 117.00- this after a friend in Texas got hit with some strong straight line winds through their campsite- pushed it off the front blocks and tipped it on its nose. I don't use mine for overniters unless the threat of bad weather is on. use it when I store it.
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I still disagree, that Valterra RV stabilizer with the rachet strap is more worthless than a tripod. I also think, the longer the RV, the more effective it is.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #35

JT Strong Arm and X-chocks will exceed your expectations. Tripod is a band aid that doesn't do much.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #36

The king pin Tri-pod tends to be a 'personal preference'.

I do use one only because it came with a previous 5th wheel I had.

It works well on this 5th wheel to help steady the front section when installed correctly. (FYI I have a TrailAir pin box)

If you do the 'push on the front sideways' test with reasonable (not with all your might) force and find it still moves then a little more weight is needed on the tri-pod.

Yes, they can be heavy, and take up space, take longer to set up than pushing a button.... but IMO are not a waste of money.... look for a used one and save $.

Would I buy a tri-pod again (?)... after having installed BAL cross arms on my rear stabilizers and being very impressed how well they eliminated 'most' of the rear tail wag of the 5th wheel.
I would prefer to have the same , or equivalent, on the front jacks... thus making the tri-pod redundant.

But for now, my trips are only for a month stay at one location and the tri-pod works fine for me.... if I were traveling with shorter stays here and there I would go with the cross arm stabilization method... it's more effective and a heck of a lot more convenient .

I do use my Between the tire X-Chocks (installed after leveling) and they do work well by eliminating more of the wiggle - waggle ... but unless you are using a multi point leveling system the rig is still sitting on the bouncy tires .

I am considering installing the under step stabilizers to help eliminate the movement when someone comes or goes.

Islnader
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
With a Reese Revolution hitch they do not work well, the hitch may move.
Not if you put the tripod on the rear pivot.