Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #1

leaky roof on a 2005 wildwood 27bh

Hello, I bought a used 2005 Wildwood 27bh travel trailer in Oct. of last year.
It was a one owner and I bought it from a dealer. The problem is at the front of the trailer I noticed in the closet's there was some water dripping after a a big snow we had. I thought it was because of such a large amount of snow that sat on the roof. The snow melted but the next time it rained I had the same problem.
Its not like its pouring in but any water is not acceptable either. The dealer said they would check it but i'm 100 miles away or they said they could send me some special caulk and I could do it (pull up the old caulk at the front seam and put new in).

Anyone ever done this or would it be better to make the 200 mile round trip to have the dealer fix it?

Other than that it's a great camper.

Thanks in advance.
jimiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #2

I think if I were in that situation I would look at it first to see how difficult it might be to get the old caulk out. It might be rather difficult to get it all out. You can try a small area to see how well it will come out. Then I would put some sort of tarp or other cover over the front to prevent further leakage.

If I thought I could satisfactorily remove the old caulk, then I would call the dealer and have him send me the caulk and do it myself. If not, then I would leave the tarp on it until I could take it to him on a dry day.

If you do decide to repair it yourself and it leaks after doing it, then you would have no choice but to carry it back to have him do it.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #3

I don't have any direct experience but stumbled across THIS PAGE some time ago, which may be helpful or provide some info to assist.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #4

Also check you roof vents and front lights for openings that might let water in. I have found water will run to the easiest opening to enter your trailer. It might be entering the roof 10 feet from where you see it leaking into the trailer.
donhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #5

Dealer fixed mine

This might be a regular problem with FR... leaky roofs anyone else?
Anyhow, I noticed a wet matress adter towing it through a horrendous rain storm and contributed the water to the storm until a couple weeks later after it rained I noticed it wet again sitting on my lot. Turns out the seam at the top where the siding meets the roof had been leaking. Taking it to the dealer, where there was sealant only along the areas where these pieces joined, they poured caulking over the entire seam and it took care of the problem.
Turns out this was not the worst leak this trailer had. Whoever cut the opening for the radio antenna sliced it beyond where it was caulked and I had to cut out and replace a 3 x 3 foot section of roof from the damage. Next trailer I buy new from ANYONE will have the roof walked and inspected with a magnifying glass.
pagemastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #6

Yep, I got mine back, I took it to a great local Trailer repair shop and that what they found out. There was no caulk or putty under the strip that connects the roof to the front cap.
Luckily it hadn't leaked that long so there wasn't any damage but it still isn't cheap($450.00 ) to have all that done I'm just glad it smelled like musty in there to get me into lookin all around for water.

I found out a good way to tell if a roof has been leaking is to take a speaker or a light off the ceiling and see if the screws are rusty or if the insulation is wet or damp, also the staples the hold the ceiling up will be brown or red as well.