Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 01:26 AM   #1

Little mad! Almost bought a camper

Well me and the misses decided on a Cherokee 304bh for our 4 kids. (13,10,7, and July 21s due) got a deal several miles from me shipped but I'm worried about buying unseen. So I checked around and found one that was only 1 1/2 hrs away. Drove over to camper world to look and we love it. Decided to buy today and was doing a purchase agreement to pick up Saturday. They meet the price I received from the dealer several miles away and b4 I gave them deposit, the gm said there is 900$ in fees for dealer prep? What? No, I told him he could keep it and loose the sale. He said he was loosing money at the price on the camper and couldn't get by without the fees. So we are still camper less. I am calling the original dealer tomorrow to see if they have that camper still and if not I will have to order it. I looked for 4 hrs tonight and everyone is 2k to 8k higher on the camper. I can't pass the deal I'm getting on it. And it has all the packages everyone else does!
Arkguy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #2

$900 seems high to me but on the other hand I tried to purchase a avenger from general RV they would not budge on their price.... and their dealer prep fees were 2k!!! ended up buying a jayco because of this even though I liked same avenger floorplan more it came down to a budget issue. The best price I negotiated on the jayco was identical except I got the 15k ac and a roof ladder upgrade the avenger didn't have. zero prep fees but they had a $150 document fee. I hope years from now my next TT will be the avenger though!!!!
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

That sux! Maybe the GM will call you back today to "negotiate", hold your ground if he does! Good luck though in no matter what you decide!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Canadian Member

Never mind all the "extra" fees, just negotiate on the out the door price so you can compare prices.

Get quotes from RVW and RV Direct and use them to get a deal from a reputable local dealer. If you don't have a reputable local dealer, just go where you get the best price out the door.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkguy29 View Post
Well me and the misses decided on a Cherokee 304bh for our 4 kids. (13,10,7, and July 21s due) got a deal several miles from me shipped but I'm worried about buying unseen. So I checked around and found one that was only 1 1/2 hrs away. Drove over to camper world to look and we love it. Decided to buy today and was doing a purchase agreement to pick up Saturday. They meet the price I received from the dealer several miles away and b4 I gave them deposit, the gm said there is 900$ in fees for dealer prep? What? No, I told him he could keep it and loose the sale. He said he was loosing money at the price on the camper and couldn't get by without the fees. So we are still camper less. I am calling the original dealer tomorrow to see if they have that camper still and if not I will have to order it. I looked for 4 hrs tonight and everyone is 2k to 8k higher on the camper. I can't pass the deal I'm getting on it. And it has all the packages everyone else does!
I will be the first to say "I hate all the "Add On, Prep Fee, Bull S*** " that not just RV Dealers, but a large majority of the retail world try to pass off on people anymore. What ever happened to determining your cost of doing business, adding it into the bottom line of your Selling Price and allowing the customer to make an informed decision about who is selling their product for the most reasonable price?

Anyway, End of Rant. So, having said that, the way I understand what you said was you have your Best Price, which you would have to have shipped to you, You have $900 more, which you can drive and pick up fairly locally and everything else you saw was 2-8K more. Now I know the Price Police will take shots at me for saying this and as reluctant as I am in allowing all the Add On Cost vendors use to jack their "Good Deal" back up above the other guy's price, I would spend the extra $900 and get the one I could see and touch, hopefully get better service after the fact for any warranty work and have the unit the Wife and I had decided on sitting in my driveway without having to settle for something else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a shopper. I believe in comparing Apples to Apples, finding the best deal, all things considered, (Ex. Service, Availability, Wait Time.) BUT, on something like this I look at it like this, that $900 spread over the life of the Camper is really costing you very little extra per year when you think about it.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth and that's without any Add On cost factored in. Good Luck on your purchase and I hope you are enjoying your new Camper soon with your family.
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #6

I would contact all the dealers that you would drive to pick up and let them know that you are pre approved and purchasing. This is the price at x dealer can you beat it?

For 900 what is the other dealer willing to throw in? Extended warranty perhaps? Hitch work? Yearly details and winterizations?

Hidden fees and prep fees burn me up. Dealers will also do a bait and switch. I drove 120 miles only to have the salesman to dodge me because the trailer I came to look at sold the day prior (even though I talked to him the evening prior) of course another salesman was more than happy to show me around. The same trailer was listed on their website several weeks after that.

From what I shopped and looked at 75% of msrp is a good spot to start.

Just my experiences.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #7

I ran into a similar situation with the Grey Wolf 28BH I bought last month...

Shipping, PDI, and dealer admin charges all added onto the 'price'...

Shipping ($1000), I can't argue - living in Canada, the trailer does have to come up from the US, there's shipping fees, customs and brokerage charges, etc..

The admin fees were actually reasonable enough ($100) not to argue, and included transfer the plates and ownership off my old trailer.

It was the PDI ($750) that I objected to... They tried to sell it to me, saying it included training me on the trailer, as well as inspecting and repairing any issues from shipping, manufacturing defects, etc... I pointed out they'd have to do that anyways; so trying to pass the cost onto me wasn't going to fly. We went back and forth on it - they knew it was a screaming deal on the trailer, even with the PDI fee; and worse, they knew I knew it, too... We settled on 1/2 the PDI fee being returned as store credit.

Overhead costs are getting paid either way - if a trailer is $10,000 plus $1500 in fees, or $11,500, with no extra add-ons, at the end of the day, does it really matter? It's just how the dealership 'sells' it that changes...

OP - if you find an overall deal you like, then go for it. Not worth getting hung up on semantics, in my opinion...
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Never mind all the "extra" fees, just negotiate on the out the door price so you can compare prices.

Get quotes from RVW and RV Direct and use them to get a deal from a reputable local dealer. If you don't have a reputable local dealer, just go where you get the best price out the door.
I've gotta say that this chaps my hide a little after recently meeting all the great folks at RVWholesalers. They offer great prices and great customer service and really try to take care of their customers. Why would you only use them as a negotiating tool to do business with a local dealer that would rather rip you off and charge outrageous prices on a PDI? Even if your local dealer is "reputable", if you have to use another dealer like RVW to get them to make you a good deal are they really taking care of you and being honest about their pricing? I compare prices, too, but I NEVER tell someone else what another dealer offered. I tell them I'm pricing around and then ask for their best deal. This tells me really quickly who is trying to rip me off. I recommend you call RVW and deal with them. They don't sell Cherokee, but they sell Wildwood campers that are very similar. I recommend you also check out the Puma line. They have made some changes recently and my conclusion is that it is a higher end camper- though it is a little more expensive. Also, consider how close that local dealer will be when you are out on the road traveling.....I'll take the nationwide service network any day. Just my .02.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #9

Wow...... Our dealer charges $0 for paperwork / fees they charge $0 for dealer prep. $0 for any extra fees............. the trailer's price was equal or less than anyone within 400 miles........ and they threw in a few things after the sale when the trailer got there (we ordered it) they installed roof vent covers/ fifth wheel lube plate (I am probably forgetting something). And they provided a good quality battery & full propane tanks. I let them keep the starter kit

Our only extra from the price quoted was state sales tax which I already knew..... actually they give you their best price up front (what a concept) A % over wholesale & it still beats anyone around..........

They are only 5 minutes away.......And have a $65 per hr. shop rate.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
bigdaddy1

I have ordered a new Cardinal from my dealer and have agree what the cost would be before he ordered the new camper. If I have extra things added to that bottom line then I will pay for the extra cost IF NOT then I will drive away with out a new camper. I am too old for games and such so stand your ground when dealing with dealers.

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Site Team

When researching RV prices, research the service records of the dealer ( this forum is a great tool). Use that as a decision maker in your final choice. If one of the dealers selling pints is local service and his reputation is poor, it should be discounted. My local dealer tried to use local service to justify a 10% higher price, however by just asking questions during the search process, it was obvious I would not be taking my unit there for any service. If everyone used the service records of dealers as part of their decision, they would be pressured to improve service and poor ones would be weeded out in favor of good ones.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
Site Team

I also negotiate price to bottom line - out the door.
That way there are no surprises at the end.
Years ago I was wheeling and dealing at a mega used car lot.
I told the salesman I was offering $xxx as bottom line price.
He agreed and I thought it was a done deal.
When he filled out the contract the bottom line on the contract was
not the final price. The bottom line on that paper referenced you back
to the middle of the page where they had added "paint sealer, upholstery
stain block and undercoat". He kept pointing to the last line and
saying this is your bottom line!!
I laughed at him and walked out.
They called me the next day and met my price.

Good luck in your negotiation but I do agree with others- dealer
location AND reputation are worth something.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #13

It's good advice from others to negotiate on an "out the door price" versus sales price.

Good luck with your purchase!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #14

Did you get an out the door price in writing from the original dealer? If not there is probably a surprise (or two) there waiting to happen as well.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #15

There isn't a dealer close to me that seek that camper especially where I would be camping. Besides. I can fix it. I don't like the look on wildwood and did inquire about it. I just want the camper. I know how to operate it. Make sure it's sealed up and everything patches and closes and operates and I'm good.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkguy29 View Post
There isn't a dealer close to me that seek that camper especially where I would be camping. Besides. I can fix it. I don't like the look on wildwood and did inquire about it. I just want the camper. I know how to operate it. Make sure it's sealed up and everything patches and closes and operates and I'm good.
I still recommend you check out the Puma line. We've been very pleased with ours- on our 3rd one now, plus in laws have one. Appearance is very subjective, but I haven't found an aluminum sided trailer yet that I think looks as good as the Puma line. The 32-DBKS is the equivalent to the Cherokee you are looking at. One issue I notice with the Cherokee is that you only have 1441 CCC. Add propane, batteries and options and you will likely only really have ~1000 of CCC. You'll probably use every bit of that, meaning you'll be traveling completely maxed out on the rig. You might go over if you haul water with you. The Puma has a listed CCC of 2215 and the GVWR is 1K higher, meaning it'll possibly have a beefier frame, and maybe even one step up in load range on tires, which is a big deal.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #17

x100 on the Puma we have had two Pumas, both nearly trouble free........... Great quality for the $$$$$. A greatly kept secret.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #18

I talked to dealer willing to ship out the door and that is my price as of today. No fees. So they get my business.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #19

What difference does it make if there are "fees" as long as they don't try to change the bottom line? RVW charges $250 for doc and $45 for title fees, but the bottom line has always been thousands cheaper than local dealers bottom lines for me- even if they didn't show any "fees".
Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #20

I'll look at them I have looked into toy hauler but the 351 bath isn't big, wofe wants a big shower. And I didn't like small door in garAge to kitchen. I'm googling now

Ps it's not about fees it's about bottom price. I'm paying 22611 shipped to me. That's loaded with every option. And camping world came to 23511. That's half my taxes and I have to go get it 3 hr trip.

Tags
camper