Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #1

Load range C to load range D

Will Changing the tires to load range d make a big difference in the way the trailer tows. I was thinking of going to load range e but I'd have to replace the wheels. It's a Windjammer 3008
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:48 AM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud1 View Post
Will Changing the tires to load range d make a big difference in the way the trailer tows. I was thinking of going to load range e but I'd have to replace the wheels. It's a Windjammer 3008
I think I saw this in another thread, that your wheels are only rated at 65 PSI. You can still use LR-E tires, just inflate them to 65PSI. Use a load/inflation chart to see how much PSI you really need. For my little Roo, I can get by with as little as 25 to 30 psi, and still be ok, but I don't run that low.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Team

I went from C to D and didn't notice a difference. I run them at 65psi On a fiver.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
You will get two benefits...one big one and the other sorta big. First, going to D will give you a larger margin between actual weight on the tire and the maximum load the tire is rated for. Is that important? Some say yes, some say its not a factor, but it seems to me more reserve capacity is a good thing. Second, because you increase the ply rating of the tire when upgrading to a D load there will increased stability when towing. I can't say how much you will notice with your TT but when I changed from the supplied D load tires to the Maxxis E load I definitely noticed an increase in stability. The biggest benefit was the better stability when passing big trucks and getting hit by their bow wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I think I saw this in another thread, that your wheels are only rated at 65 PSI. You can still use LR-E tires, just inflate them to 65PSI. Use a load/inflation chart to see how much PSI you really need. For my little Roo, I can get by with as little as 25 to 30 psi, and still be ok, but I don't run that low.
The OP did not identify the exact wheel. I assume since it's a FR product then the wheels are Lions Head. When I changed tires we examined the wheels (Lions Head Bobcat) thoroughly and the max PSI is NOT stamped anywhere on the wheel. However, the wheel has the maximum weight allowance shown.

Using that number one has to go backwards to determine the maximum PSI for the wheel. I emailed Lions Head and got this response:

So, determine the maximum weight per the stamp on the wheel. Then, determine the maximum weight of the new tire to see if it is equal to or less than the wheel limit.

If you want to find the wheel weight limit a little faster then determine which wheel you have and find it on the Lions Head website. Click on "learn more" and you will find the info you need. i.e.:

Old 07-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
We changed out our 15 / 205 lr C. For 15/225 load range E. If anything the tow improved . Less sway and since I don't ride back there I can't say how bumpy it got, but the cargo never cared or complained. Hard to find but lots of lr D easy to do d and a no brained. 65 psi and stiffer stronger side wall. Versus flimsy 50 psi C carcass.

Not even sure how many miles I will run the lr D's that came on the new trailer. I watch em like a hawk and the TPMS goes on tomorrow or Saturday.

Do not believe a salesman about the meatiness of a tire make climb up and get one of everything he has and compare.
Tom48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #6

I went from C to D and did not notice anything different in the way it rode, however, it gives me a big dose of confidence knowing I upgraded to a well known brand (Maxxis) and more payload capacity.

Others have reported it reduced sway but I never had that problem to begin with.

I spoke with Lionshead and they said no problem with the rim going up to D load range.

When I changed my tires I considered going to E range but soon learned from tire experts here on the forum that more is not always better. The E tire is much heavier and running it at lower air pressure could generate too much heat.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 AM   #7
MCTroy

We upgrade from the load range C tires to D. We were concerned about moving to E range and it being a little overkill and not needed for our WJ. The new tires have about 2000 miles on them and no problems. We are happy with the upgrade and the trailer tows great, no sway or bouncing.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

Good, thank you for the reply
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote