Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #1

Looking at Sierra 305 RLW

Hi ya'll,

We're in the market for a 5th wheel (our first RV), being tent campers and boaters for years.

So, we had narrowed our models down to include a Rockwood 8265S 2008, among others. We happened to see a trade in that was a Sierra 305 RLW (2005) for the same price, and thought we would try to get some opinions on it. We understand that we'll lose the warranty, but it sure is alot more unit for the same money.

We haven't purchased the tow vehicle yet. Getting the "tail" before the dog.

Thanks!
AlmostEmptyNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #2

Welcome to FRF and being an 05 the bugs if any should be worked out.

Do you know this dealer?
Do you feel comfortable with the unit?

Mine is an 04 purchased used in 06 and I liked the unit and was VERY comfortable with my dealer.

My dealer gave me 6 months warrenty when I purchased used and 10% off any store item for one year. Some do this and some dont

Do look closely for water damage as thats the killer on any unit.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Hello and welcome! I hope you come to enjoy RVing as much as the rest of us here.

Whichever RV you choose...I can't stress enough, the importance of doing a good PDI. (pre-delivery inspection) If you are unsure of what to look for, let us know and we'll give you some tips, point you to some checklists and help any way we can.

Enjoy!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #4

Thank you for the welcome. We have looked at everything from pop-ups to fifth wheels. Our research began 6 months ago.

Yes, we really like this dealer, and he has the best service in the area too. He has double certified technicians (not quite sure what all that means, but it was recommended). We are dealing directly with the co-owner. He is a Forest River dealer.

I have not seen a pre-delivery checklist or a "buying used" checklist (except at one of those pay for a kit sites), so I would appreciate a referral. Are those kits worth the money ($39.99)? Is there a book we should buy?

I'm researching 3/4 ton trucks today. I've had a Durango and now have an Envoy. A friend of my husbands uses bio diesel.

There's so much we don't know yet, even after all this time.

Synopsis about us: Approaching 50 yrs old, 3 teenagers (almost off to college), only 2 of us camping, looking for comfort and livability in a 5er. Don't want a big kitchen counter in the middle of the rig; prefer it tucked away or in rear. Comfortable seating is bigger priority than kitchen. No bunks. Large bedroom with see-through shower is a must. Rear-round campers (every other weekend). Will be parked at one resort most of season. One or two trips to Florida (8 hours from us). Price range: $15-35,000. We are not able to look at high end models at this time.

Perfect layout would be a U dinette, sofa sleeper, small entertainment center in corner with fireplace, small kitchen with enough counter for a coffee maker, bedroom with slide, corner shower separate from sink. If I could just find it! Getting really frustrated.

Thank you for your assistance!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostEmptyNest View Post
Thank you for the welcome. We have looked at everything from pop-ups to fifth wheels. Our research began 6 months ago.

Yes, we really like this dealer, and he has the best service in the area too. He has double certified technicians (not quite sure what all that means, but it was recommended). We are dealing directly with the co-owner. He is a Forest River dealer.

I have not seen a pre-delivery checklist or a "buying used" checklist (except at one of those pay for a kit sites), so I would appreciate a referral. Are those kits worth the money ($39.99)? Is there a book we should buy?

I'm researching 3/4 ton trucks today. I've had a Durango and now have an Envoy. A friend of my husbands uses bio diesel.

There's so much we don't know yet, even after all this time.

Synopsis about us: Approaching 50 yrs old, 3 teenagers (almost off to college), only 2 of us camping, looking for comfort and livability in a 5er. Don't want a big kitchen counter in the middle of the rig; prefer it tucked away or in rear. Comfortable seating is bigger priority than kitchen. No bunks. Large bedroom with see-through shower is a must. Rear-round campers (every other weekend). Will be parked at one resort most of season. One or two trips to Florida (8 hours from us). Price range: $15-35,000. We are not able to look at high end models at this time.

Perfect layout would be a U dinette, sofa sleeper, small entertainment center in corner with fireplace, small kitchen with enough counter for a coffee maker, bedroom with slide, corner shower separate from sink. If I could just find it! Getting really frustrated.

Thank you for your assistance!
You may want to research a 1 ton truck if your looking at those size fivers. The pin weight of over 2000lbs, plus a dry weight of over 9000 lbs may put you pretty close to what a 3/4 ton should tow. That model Sierra has a GVW of 14230 lbs!
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #6

I agree with 2008Wildcat, you should go with a 1 ton truck. That unit has an empty pin weight of 2200 pounds, by the time you load up the basement and the bedroom closet it will be even heavier.

Here's a PDI website http://members.cox.net/agkcpa/pdi.htm
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #7

Thanks for the link. I was told 3/4 ton diesel towing range was 10-16k for just 2 people traveling light. We were boaters and know how to pack light.

I believe you, so tell me why I need the 1 ton? The 5er is going to sit at a park most of the season, and I will drive the truck around town daily. Guess this model is out
Old 11-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #8

If you're only going to tow it to a park in the spring and then back again in the fall you probably could get away with a 3/4 ton truck. I don't know what brand and what style of truck you plan on buying but keep in mind the payload you will be hauling. Along with the 2200 pin weight of the trailer, you also have the hitch, fuel, two people, etc. I think you will be pushing the limit of a 3/4 truck.
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, 5th wheel